Opinions on ACH

lighthorseman

lighthorseman

Hi, just looking for opinions on this ACH helmet? Seller said he definitely knows its genuine because he wore it in Balad, Iraq 2008-2009.

It looks a little too clean for a genuinely used helmet to me?

Errol

post-111211-0-18118900-1368345853.jpg

post-111211-0-05106400-1368345866.jpg

post-111211-0-24540100-1368345885.jpg

jdamaso111

looks really clean but that dosent mean that it was not worn, the chin strap assembly is missing the nape pad.

lighthorseman

Thanks jdamaso11, your right, the nape pad is missing! I'll have to ask him about that.

SergeantMajorGray

The chinstrap looks a little dirty so it might have been used the pads could have been washed or replaced. I like the cover it's not a typical 101st patched cover.

lighthorseman

Its a 36th combat aviation patch I believe. Inside of the helmet itself looks very clean as well. Could have been cleaned I guess!

SergeantMajorGray

Its a 36th combat aviation patch I believe. Inside of the helmet itself looks very clean as well. Could have been cleaned I guess!

What is he asking for it?

Honestly, it looks like an ACH. Original look, I would say yes because there is no need to fake it. Unless he is a valor medal recipient or has one hell of a verifiable story, don't pay more than one without a patch and name. These helmets are a dime-a-dozen and I could fake that without any effort. Remember value is based on how much someone will pay not how much someone wants to sell it for. Just my opinion.

Nothing wrong with this helmet. Not everyone who deployed wore their helmet everyday, if they never left the FOB and didn't need it to ride in a vehicle, then it could stay pretty clean.

hawkdriver

I was in the 36th CAB in 2006 - 2007 and the "Texas T" wasn't authorized on the helmet. The CAB never redeployed, so this isn't aviation but rather a ground pounder of some kind, which is feasible. Clean pads, probably replaced. The named helmet band, looks right. No wear on the NV bracket, laying odds this was a Fobbit and it was only worn on mid tour leave travel and HMMWV rides around Balad or such. Buy it for the price of the parts, not any story.

I can't recall which unit it is, but I have seen this patched cover within the last year or so being worn in Astan as Hawkdriver said by a ground unit. I would say that the rear "H" pad is missing as these were taken off and the Armor N.A.P.E. pad was being heavily used by that time. It probably was removed when cleaned. Nice MSA model

I have this one in my watch list as well although I prefer them a bit more salty. If I had not just picked a different one up I'd be fighting you for this one.

lighthorseman

Thanks Pump 150. I asked the seller if he still has the nape pad and he does (it will be included)

I agree svt40, I too would prefer it a little more salty.

Being at Balad and NG makes sense to me as to the condition of the helmets cover. If he were out in the shinola daily, it would be a nice brownish grey color. It is odd that the napestrap is missing and could be the cloth or the kevlar ones depending on when he left/got back.

lighthorseman

Thanks Mercenary25 & RedLegGI,

Nice photo. I was searching the web for photos of the patched ACH in use and couldn't find too many!

I've also asked the seller if he was working at the FOB. I might be pushing my luck with all the questions?

lighthorseman

Thanks for your view TRR and I couldn't agree anymore!

I cant see any reason for wanting to fake it but he may have been issued the helmet ,used it but then added the patches later thinking he would get more for it.

That would be faking it to an extent I think.

Mercenary25

No way he would have added the patches on it to raise the value. The 36th infantry division isn't the well known unit and not many even knew they patched their helmets because very few did.

Beside, check out the patches on helmet, it is not ACU, but rather, OD subdued, exactly like mine. So it's a honest lid.

SergeantMajorGray

Is there any way to tell a fake patched cover aside from wear because I heard all someone has to do is sew on a patch and wash the cover a few times.

lighthorseman

I agree that they can be faked quite easily, but im with you on this one Mercenary25. I just received the following answer from the seller

No problem,
yes I worked on the fob and seldom went outside the wire. The patchs were placed on prior to deployment by order of our higher command. and yes the paypal name is correct.

I asked him if his name was indeed Hughes and that's the name I would find on his PayPal email when/if making payment.

SergeantMajorGray

I found the listing if it goes past $135 I'd let it go I paid that for mine which had a 101st sustainment brigade patch on which isn't to likely to be faked. don't forget about shipping too if you don't win I might sell mine if your interested.

Mercenary25

I found the listing if it goes past $135 I'd let it go I paid that for mine which had a 101st sustainment brigade patch on which isn't to likely to be faked. don't forget about shipping too if you don't win I might sell mine if your interested.

How discreet. :blink: