Bringback German WW II Gas Mask and Canister

Theorywolf

Theorywolf

I got this one recently from a former student. He told me that his grandfather was in Normandy and lived here in Fayetteville, NC. He gave it to me for less than $50.00. I was taken by how minty it was. It has some harden sand around rhe rim of the bottom and jsut wear around the edge of the top and along the ribs of the canister. The straps are in top shape and the mask is also minty. The canister is dated for 1939 and the mask is dated to the inside for 11, 1937. The mask and canister are named to the same soldier. I really love having one of these in my collection. They are so iconic of the german WW II soldier.

Cheers,

Mike

post-576-0-09562600-1368323865.jpg

Oh, I forgot to add, sometimes you might find the whole name written in ink on the carrying straps...

Mark sends

I picked one of them at random, and here's the report you get:

Wilhelm Wiebke

Nach den uns vorliegenden Informationen ist Wilhelm Wiebke seit 01.1945 vermisst. (Our available information indicates Wilhelm Wiebke has been missing since January 1945)

In dem Gedenkbuch des Friedhofes Stare Czarnowo haben wir den Namen und die persönlichen Daten des Obengenannten verzeichnet. Sie können gern einen Auszug bei uns bestellen. (In the Book of Rememberance of the cemetery at Stare Czarnowo we've recorded the name and personal data of the above listed person. You can request a copy from us)

Bitte beachten Sie, dass auf einigen Friedhöfen nicht die aktuelle Version ausliegt, somit kann der Name Ihres Angehörigen darin evtl. noch nicht verzeichnet sein. (Please note that some cemeteries do not have the latest version (of the book), thus, the name of your relative may not be in it.)

(Last name) Nachname: Wiebke
(First name) Vorname: Wilhelm
(Rank) Dienstgrad: Obergefreiter
(Birth date) Geburtsdatum: 08.05.1900
(Birth location) Geburtsort: Enzen
(Date of death or missing in action) Todes-/Vermisstendatum: 01.1945

I added the English translations (I was a member of the Volksbund while I was stationed in Germany).

Mark sends

Theorywolf

Hi Mark,

Great work! Thanks for the information! I earlier noticed a name on the back of the strap. I will cehck to see, again, if I can read it. Thanks for informing me about the site!

Cheers,

Mike

Theorywolf

There are letters on the strap that clips onto the soldier's belt in the back. Looks like G. H. and there is somthing else but can't tell, maybe ERTT? I am thankful for any help!

Cheers,

Mike

• 4 weeks later...