GREEN BERET NEED ADVICE

otter42

Bought this yesterday at a GoodWill store, need help on dating this one. It has some moth tracks on it and would appreciate any advice on stopping the little beast's. I put a little piece of tape to hold the size tag down, it's a 7.

How in the world would a guy use the tag inside without cutting through the plastic??? Thanks Ken

post-4732-0-77643200-1368321594.jpg

post-4732-0-21223100-1368321608.jpg

By writing on the plastic on top of the tag with a permanent marker.

Or by removing the plastic. Either way.

Thanks GIl, any idea on era? Ken

Probably mid to late 70s Im guessing.Some had a gold liner as well,

Saw an odd beret here at an auction,It was pale blue(like the Russian Airborne berets)turned it over and it had this same lable and liner in it.Being these are private purchase berets Im wondering if they produced other colors for ROTC units or Military Schools.

Just FYI, it was quite common, almost SOP, to cut the liners out of the berets to better 'shape' them. When we started wearing maroon berets in airborne units back in the 70s every newbie got a block of instruction on how to cut out the liner out of the thing, shave the fuzz off of it, soak it and shape it. If anyone showed up to formation with a beret with the liner still in it they automatically got the name 'pizza head' because that was about all you could make the thing look like.

Just FYI, it was quite common, almost SOP, to cut the liners out of the berets to better 'shape' them. When we started wearing maroon berets in airborne units back in the 70s every newbie got a block of instruction on how to cut out the liner out of the thing, shave the fuzz off of it, soak it and shape it. If anyone showed up to formation with a beret with the liner still in it they automatically got the name 'pizza head' because that was about all you could make the thing look like.

Very true.THere is a whole culture to shaping the Beret.

Better to wear it in the shower with hot water and shape it. THen ear it as it dries ;):lol:

snake36bravo

I've owned plenty of Vietnam era Bancroft berets with the gold liners and they were not cut out. Those were Green berets up to Black for LRRPs and Brown Water Navy. I only cut out the liner of my MFO beret. My Airborne beret I left the liner in and no one gave me flak over it. They probably knew I would bust them in the damn mouth if they did. I'd pay more attention to how someone performed in the field over whether they had a 'perfectly' shaped Parisian coutiere approved beret but that's just the super-grunt in me.

I think it's late 70s-early 80s collectors market piece in the same style of those 'tiger stripes' sold at that time and I dont believe it's US made.

post-2582-0-52552400-1368404122.jpg

I never cut the liner out of, shaved, or shaped a beret with hot water (wool shrinks like a banshee in hot water). All my berets were SF issue, never private purchase type. Back in the day, issue berets weren't fuzzy pizzas! "Palming" and "tugging from left to right, and patience was all that was all that was need to shape a new beanie! :)