Identifying New York Conspicuous Service Cross recipients

Garth Thompson

Thanks I see that the spell check said “ Kandahar” which I don’t know where that came from. The 2605 serial# medal is the medal with the soldier at present arms with the multi color red, black, yellow ribbon. I was hoping to trace it since it’s a low number. I just wanted to clarify

No worries, I translated. :)

The only serial numbers listed in the 26XX range in the book are 2609, 2614, 2619, 2623, and 2636. That's all from that entire range. :(

Hello Garth,

Thanks for the look-up offer. I have a 1917-1919 Cross No 2346.

Any info you can provide on that will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

JimB

And the same can be said for the WW1 State Service (Faithful Service) 2605...not listed.

Dave,

I have a New York World War "For Service" (gray & blue ribbon) medal numbered 54952. Is that number listed?

Thanks, JimB

Hello Garth,

Thanks for the look-up offer. I have a 1917-1919 Cross No 2346.

Any info you can provide on that will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

JimB

WWI Cross 2346 awarded to Emery Talbot Smith in 1934 as a Captain in the Army Ambulance Service based upon a Silver Citation Star

Bill

Dave,

I have a New York World War "For Service" (gray & blue ribbon) medal numbered 54952. Is that number listed?

Thanks, JimB

WWI 54952 is not listed in the available rolls

Bill

Hi Bill,

Thank you for your reply (above) and most helpful information in this string of 9 December. Initially, I had a little trouble navigating the site but eventually found it. The research into the individuals Service has begun.

At the risk of taking the bucket to the well too often, I actually have a third NY CSC in my care - Number 2594. If I could impose on you once more, I would be most obliged for an identification. Thank you.

with kindest regards and best wishes,

Tim

WWII Cross 2594 was awarded in 1946 to Nils Nilsen - Captain US Army Military Intelligence

Bill

WWI Cross 2346 awarded to Emery Talbot Smith in 1934 as a Captain in the Army Ambulance Service based upon a Silver Citation Star

Bill

Thank you very much Bill for the information on both those medals. They are part of a WWI group I acquired many years ago.

Regards, JimB

• 5 weeks later...

CSC #1932 went to Sergeant James P. Corretto, Battery C, 17th Field Artillery, 2nd Division. He received a silver citation star.

Jeff,

Many thanks for the look-up; much appreciated!

Presumably all those SSC men could also have applied for a later (1932 onwards) Silver Star, although i suspect many didn't bother!

Can I ask another quick question - were NY CSC's awarded later (in the 80's and 90's?) for WW2 service as a "blanket" award to those veterans - or did they have to be individually applied for and also vetted? Do we know if any special criteria had to be met, like a wound etc?

Thanks

Roy

As far as I know, there was no blanket award of the CSC. Each one required an application and proof of a decoration. I've seen CSC documents for WWII awards running into the 1990s.

• 9 months later...
101STCOLLECTOR

I recently acquired the rolls for the numbered NY State Conspicuous Service Cross. If you have one and would like to ID it to a recipient. PM me with the number and I'll do what I can.

Garth

As far as I know, there was no blanket award of the CSC. Each one required an application and proof of a decoration. I've seen CSC documents for WWII awards running into the 1990s.

I was able to provide the proper documentation to the State of New York to have a numbered CSC awarded to my Grandfather who was WIA in 1918 while serving in the 27th Division. The medal and accolade was issued in 2011. He passed away in 1958 but his daughter, my mom, lives in Florida and the application was made in her name as next of kin.

Jim D

Is # 16828 awarded for Vietnam service to Charles T Thieles in the custody of any of our board members, would like to reunite it with his Arcom.

Hi

Thank you so much for your kind offer.

Can you please provide info for the number 8156?

When your time permits

Jack

8156 was awarded 10/10/49 to John J. Miller - PFC Company L 39th Infantry

He was living at 50 Odell St. Albany NY

Bill

BILL THE PATCH

Bill

Holy smolly, small world I had a sister in law that lived on that street. The neighborhood went to hell. I'll leave it at that

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Greetings! New (official) member, but long-time follower!

Recently acquired a New York Conspicuous Service cross/medal # 8784. Can you shed any light on it? I would enjoy knowing the story of who was the recipient!

Collector .45

Greetings! New (official) member, but long-time follower!

Recently acquired a New York Conspicuous Service cross/medal # 8784. Can you shed any light on it? I would enjoy knowing the story of who was the recipient!

CSC #8784 was awarded to Milton N. Simons per the NY State Archives DMNA Medal Card Collection.

CSC #8784 was awarded to Milton N. Simons per the NY State Archives DMNA Medal Card Collection.

Awarded to Simons on 4/20/50 for service as a US Army Major (no unit indicated) - He was living in Jersey City NJ at the time

Bill

• 2 weeks later...
101STCOLLECTOR

Thanks a lot for your generosity. It'll be very helpful for me! Good job!

Bill

101STCOLLECTOR

Could you please check if any CSC awarded to Robert A Hager, Air Force captain ?

When your time permits

Jack

Bill