Nice Storage Unit find**AIRBORNE RANGER**

S McKibben

S McKibben

One of my pickers found this one today in a storage unit they bought. WOW!!! Dated 1970 and untouched!

Shawn

post-5730-0-29681000-1368291618.jpg

There's an Air Medal ribbon on his rack so there should have been an aviation qualification badge...as well as jumpwings and a CIB?!

Many straight infantrymen earned air medals in Vietnam for participating in heli-borne operations. Very common to see. I also see pin holes for jump wings on the pocket...

S McKibben

Yup there is holes in the pocket. Thanks for that I missed them for sure. They are still going thru the unit so should have more soon. She said there were pics and paperwork, so am keepinf my fingers crossed that its the good stuff!

Many straight infantrymen earned air medals in Vietnam for participating in heli-borne operations. Very common to see. I also see pin holes for jump wings on the pocket...

Is that so? OK...fair enough. I wasn't aware of that! (I noted the pin-holes too...jumpwings!)

Yes...in Vietnam the 101st (his combat patch) was an Air Mobile division, which meant it integrated helicopters in to standard infantry tactics to conduct helicopter-borne assaults. Many of these men earned air medals for these operations...quite a few in some cases. This man probably served a tour in Nam in the 101st, then went to SF...nice tunic!

The Ranger scroll is great too...this man was a LRRP (Long Range Recon Patrol) member under the 101st....75th Ranger Regiment Co. L

Lima Rangers 75th Infantry, like others said we see pin holes for what must be Badge, could be Jump Wings, also could be a marksmanship badge, are there any pin holes above the ribbon rack? CIB or CMB plus Jump Wings? no overseas bars, were there any there once?

Yes hole for a CIB and Jump wings on the pocket. No evidence of overseas bars that I see.

Pin holes for both badges on the pocket flap and no holes at all above the ribbons? that's odd for this date of 1970, these badges would really be worn above the ribbons, at the very least the CIB being worn above the ribbons with the Jump Wings pinned through an Oval on the pocket flap.

He does not have a CIB because he apparently is not an Infantry MOS. Look at the collar disc on the left side. Not crossed rifles. And he does not have Infantry distinctive items like the blue background discs and the blue shoulder cord.

I'd like to see a clearer picture of the collar insignia on the left side if possible. It is blurry, but it almost looks like the current insignia for a Command Sergeant Major.

Longhorn92

He does not have a CIB because he apparently is not an Infantry MOS. Look at the collar disc on the left side. Not crossed rifles. And he does not have Infantry distinctive items like the blue background discs and the blue shoulder cord.

It's "Branch Unassigned," which is correct for a Vietnam era SF enlisted man.

Too Much WW1 Militaria

11B's could earn Air Medals by flying as replacement stick gunners. Given the shelf life of door gunners, they were always short of them.

John

Jack's Son

I can appreciate your find even though i'm not into uniforms. It looks impressive to me, good luck finding more infofmation.

As Longhorn stated he is Unassigned branch.Also having a previous tour with L Co he would have a CIB and the blue discs were not widely worn or avaiable and not worn at all with the Unassigned branch insignia