Extremely rare mint Pre WWII 37S3 USN flight suit

bazelot

I just acquired this mint Pre WWII 37S3 USN flight suit. Those things are really really hard to find in any condition, this one is mint and a huge size to boot (46L). It looks like it fits bigger than 46 (especially for the length). There is no discoloration anywhere, it is my crappy Iphone picture.
I just received it so I just had time to take pictures with my phone.
Anybody has pictures of pilots wearing the 37S3 suit?

photo54_zps62451e63.jpg

photo55_zps54fd25bf.jpg

photo57_zpsf4ebca90.jpg
photo68_zps508ae3dd.jpg
photo67_zps2c1f5b3b.jpg
photo64_zpsabb9ac76.jpg
photo63_zps6dd3bebb.jpg

Fantastic. The small tooth bell Talon zipper is indicative of prewar for sure. Crazy good shape for its age. Really nice find. Thanks for sharing.

• 4 weeks later...

That is a fantastic suit!! There is a jacket version as well I believe. Perfect for the 1930's naval aviator display....congrats !!!

The Style 37S3 is refering to a general Navy Department specification 37S3. It works much like stock numbers do "37" is the Class number as part of Federal Specifications. Class 37; athletic equipment, recreational apparatus, sporting goods, special wearing apparel. Anything manufactured that can be classed under any of the preceeding titles would be classed as such. The "S" would be the first letter in the nomenclature (I assume Suit, Flying, Winter would be the nomenclature in this case) and the "3" is a sequential assigned number in the 37S series. Example: Support, Ankle, Athletic might be 37S2. A series is dictated by the letter and depending on how common the the letter a series can reach a high number range and may not cover the whole alphabet, a 37Z series may not even exist. All realtive to nomenclature!

unfortunately there is no way to date it even if you knew the date of 37S2 because they are assigned as needed. For example 37S1 may be Dec. 18th 1935 and 37S2 may be Jun. 7th 1937, there are big spans sometimes in specification systems. The contract number is a pre 1942 under a centralized procurement policy

• 4 weeks later...
Coloneldhc

The size is really big for pre-WWII physiques. Either, it remained on the quartermaster's self a long time and was never worn or it is intended to appeal to a more modern sized American. The condition is almost too good to have simply been put in the back of a closet for seventy years. Where was it stored from it's obsolescence until it was put on the modern market?