325th GIR Group

History Man

History Man

This came to me via the friend of the family. Sadly there is no name to go with the group but from what is there you can somewhat see the history of it.

Looks to be the vet serving in the 325th and seeing combat, there is a separate bronze arrowhead so maybe even seeing an invasion, and then transferring to the 13th ABN for occupation duty in Germany (hence the German made ribbon bar).

The group consists of 2 glider badges (1 is JR Gaunt and the other is unmarked), his 325th oval and DIs, some CIBs, 13th abn patch, his ribbon bar and GCM, some post stamps, and a sweetheart piece. Lastly the best piece IMO, his airborne ring.

Philip

post-25965-0-37943000-1368071438.jpg

riflegreen297

Very nice, as a former member of the 325th A.I.R., it is always good to see 325th G.I.R. groups and items.

An alternative thesis- your man started in the 13th Airborne and then went to the 82nd when he deployed to the ETO as a replacement. The 13th A/B was the last airborne division to get into theater and the first out. Most assuredly, he wasn't transferring to the 13th for occupation duty as it was the 82nd that spent the most time of the airborne divisions carrying out occupation duties. The ring that you show is one that, up to now, I have only encountered in the hands of 17th A/B veterans, though I imagine that anyone with a few bucks at the PX could have bought one.

You sweetheart piece is actually a tie bar. I would imagine that the "39" in the center is the year the owner graduated from high school.

Thanks for sharing the group.

Allan

Brian Dentino

Great little 325th grouping.....I would agree 100% with Allan's assessment of his journey though.....13th then to the 82nd. If the arrowhead belongs then he may have come in before M-G as a Normandy replacement. Either way, great little group. The DUI's and JRG wings are GREAT!

Nice group Phillip! It's a pity about no name being associated with the group, but it will still make a nice display.

History Man

Thank you, it really is a nice group and thank you for the revised history on it. Interesting to see both 13th, 82nd, and 17th abn pieces in the lot.

Philip

History Man

Thanks for all comments on it, really looks nice in the display case. Even though it is not named, the pieces tell the story.

Philip

• 2 weeks later...