The Dead of Winter

Nic

One of my favorite things to do is read. In fact, reading is what got me interested in collecting US Militaria. Over the years I have amassed a pretty sizeable library of books on WWII and other wars. I have to say, that The Dead of Winter by Bill Warnock is one of my FAVORITES!!

A quick Google search will get more info on the book, but basically it is about a team of amateur battlefield detectives who search for MIA soldiers who were killed in the Battle of Bulge.

This is one of those books that you really can't put down and I STRONGLY recommend reading it. Please feel free to PM me if additional information is needed. Nic.

jeremiahcable

That does sound like a good read Nic. There is another book dealing with the recovery of remains from varying wars called "Where They Lay" and I recommend it as well. Thanks for the heads up on this one!

Jeremiah

One more quick plug for the book. I spent two years in Germany with the USAF and was fortunate enough to be able to visit the battlefields in the Bulge. A friend and I would poke around in the woods and on a few occasions did come across relics of the war (ration cans, rusted metal, etc.) This book deals with two guys who were basically doing the same thing my friend and I did. Poke around old battlefields looking for relics.......except for these two they discovered the remains of a dead GI. That's where the story takes off. I literally got chills reading this book and that hasn't happened to me in a long time.

No, I don't own stock in the company that produces it, nor am I getting any money for recommending it!! (ha, ha) However, given what we all do on this forum (saving US military history), I feel that reading this book will really strike home for most, if not all of you.

Also, if you decide to purchase it (or other books) check out Abebooks.com. The Dead of Winter lists for $24.95 new and I got my copy from that website for $12.50. The book was considered "used", however was in great shape.

Nic.

I read that book a few months ago and it was hard to put down once you started to read it. Its an awesome book!

Kurt

Great book. I was pleased to find one of my Purple Heart guys- Lester Miller- in it. I've been in email contact with Bill Warnock, and he's a nice guy.

• 1 month later...
That does sound like a good read Nic. There is another book dealing with the recovery of remains from varying wars called "Where They Lay" and I recommend it as well. Thanks for the heads up on this one!

Jeremiah

Another great book, though out of print, is Susan Sheehan's "A Missing Plane." It deals with the discovery, recovery and identification of those on board a B-24 used as a transport which crashed into a mountain on Papua New Guinea. There are usually several used copies on Amazon. I highly recommend it.

• 3 weeks later...

Great is right. The author, William Warnock is a good friend of mine. He not only wrote the book but he made it happen. They are a great team doing great works. Everyone's right when they say "I couldn't put it down!" I believe it's only available through Amazon.com Enjoy!