MEATWAGONS - MILITARY AMBULANCES

BEAST

The Armored ambulance is a WWII Canadian Chevrolet C15TA,quite a rare beast!.

Matt.

That's what I love about USMF, there is always someone who can identify the most obscure items!

Thanks.

-Lee

• 9 months later...

While looking for information on San DIego during WWI, I ran across this photo taken around 1917 in Balboa Park. The Navy established a hospital at the park around this time.

post-203-0-31462800-1358361508_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I arrived home last weekend from the spring Tower Park event with some nice used 9.00 x 16 NTM NDT's. The tires are already mounted on combat wheels, and I've wanted a set for my WC54 for some time. The tires that were on it were mud and snow tires and they are much smaller in circumference compared to NDT's. The NTM NDT's are 111 inches in circumference whereas the mud and show tires are 99 inches in circumference. Hopefully, the engine won't be as taxed cruising down the highway now, and I think it really has that authentic look:

post-24058-0-13723700-1399177986.jpg

Thanks for looking, Zeph

Hi RAZGY, absolutely great looking display(s) and beautiful KD64 ambulance. I see you have a half-ton wheel on your KD. With the addition of my NDT's I finally have all four combat wheels on my WC54.

Thanks for posting. It's great to see photos of other member's WWII era vehicles and displays. I would like to work toward a halfway decent display someday..

Zeph

• 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Thought you folks might enjoy seeing this ambulance. Restored WC-54 marked for the 90th Bomb Group. However, you'll notice a few oddities with the markings. This ambulance sits outside a nearby Veterinary hospital and if you look closely you'll notice a Doberman in the star on the door. The ambulance is licensed and I assume it is used in local parades.

post-203-0-96513000-1429129787.jpg

Another view with hospital in background.

post-203-0-30228700-1429129860.jpg

• 9 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Ambulance Company No. 9 circa 1913, Schofield Barracks, T.H.

Salvage Sailor, Thank you for the additions! I have seen very few medical related photos from pre- and inter-war Hawaii.

• 2 months later...
Salvage Sailor
On 2/27/2019 at 5:18 AM, BEAST said:

Salvage Sailor, Thank you for the additions! I have seen very few medical related photos from pre- and inter-war Hawaii.

Well, here ya go.....

004.jpg

Hawaiian Department Medical Unit on Maneuvers with the 4th Cavalry, 1914 - Note the white OPFOR bandanas

004eee.jpg

004f.jpg

004g.jpg

004h.jpg

White bandanas might also be "neutral" or "umpire" in a red vs. blue wargame. It would make sense to have the medics available to either side in case of an accident.

That is a great photo showing the vehicle, a mounted horseman and the personal gear.

Hookemhorns88

Two images from Ft. Sam Houston in the late '30's or early '40's. The first image features my great-uncle who enlisted in 1937. The second image is of a buddy of his. They were part of the 2nd Infantry Division, 15th Field Artillery, Medical Detachment. My great-uncle is the one who got me started collecting as he gave me a lot of his stuff plus some TR bring backs. He served overseas during the War as a combat medic in the 103rd ID.

post-147204-0-10346300-1557808697.jpg

post-147204-0-71989700-1557808727_thumb.jpg

Not sure what the model is of these vehicles.

Medical Section, I/39th Infantry, Baumholder, FRG, about 1982.

CC 17.jpg

557th Ambulance Company, 3rd Support Command, 68th Medical Group. Germany, 1982 or so.

HH 1.jpg

Ambulances most likely from C Company, 8th Medical Bn., 8th Infantry Division, 1982 or 1983, somewhere in Germany.

You will notice how the red cross markings stand out from the woods and the camouflage nets. From what I understood, the Medical company had a full set of subdued crosses in storage that could be immediately mounted if the balloon had gone up (if the war had started.)

The white X indicates the vehicle is "neutral" in a red vs. blue war game. Medical assets were typically used in this fashion to assist either side if needed. We also did not want medical vehicles delayed due to overzealous game play (MP's at checkpoints, for example).

KK 1.jpg

• 5 weeks later...
Salvage Sailor

....and another

11th Medical Regiment Inter-war Ambulance, Schofield Barracks, T.H. 1930's

11th Medical Regiment Ambulance 001.jpg

• 2 months later...

Ambulance Company No. 9 circa 1913, Schofield Barracks, T.H.

This photo can not have been taken before 1917, the cars are the newer model of Ford Ts that had the shroud over the radiator. The bodies are some of the earliest used on the Model T and were built by the Babcock company.

Best

Gus

Salvage Sailor

This photo can not have been taken before 1917, the cars are the newer model of Ford Ts that had the shroud over the radiator. The bodies are some of the earliest used on the Model T and were built by the Babcock company.

Best

Gus

Aloha Gus,

I've been rechecking the ID on that photo for quite a while now as I also suspected that it was not circa 1913 but a little later. I've yet to find a direct reference to "Ambulance Co. No. 9" at Schofield Barracks, only this reference to the unit at Fort Shafter from the Hawaiian Department organization documents (1911-1914)

"A provisional ambulance company existed at Ft. Shafter, T.H. from March to May of 1913."

There was also a medical unit at the Hawaiian Department Hospital, T.H. but no specific details.

I also believe that Company No. 9 is circa 1917-1918, not 1913, and I thank you for the second opinion and the ID on the Model T's.

9th Ambulance Company.jpg

• 4 months later...

I ran across this image on FB and thought it needed to be included here.

Holiday parade

U.S. Soldiers in the 30th Armored Brigade Combat team conduct the Inaugural Holiday Parade on Christmas Eve, Dec. 24, 2019 at Camp Buehring, Kuwait. The Soldiers are deployed to support Operation Spartan Shield in the Middle East and paused to celebrate the holiday. (U.S. Army National Guard photos by Sgt. Devin Lewis)

post-203-0-44520100-1577643736_thumb.jpeg

• 2 months later...
Salvage Sailor
On 5/13/2019 at 5:55 PM, gwb123 said:

White bandanas might also be "neutral" or "umpire" in a red vs. blue wargame. It would make sense to have the medics available to either side in case of an accident.

That is a great photo showing the vehicle, a mounted horseman and the personal gear.

.....and another

The previous Medical Ambulance photo was a motorized medical unit. (posts No 85 & 86)

Hospital Ambulance 1914 003a.jpg

Here's the mule drawn Ambulance Wagon from the 1914 Hawaiian Department maneuvers

Hospital Ambulance 1914 002a.jpg

Four mule drawn Ambulance Wagon from the 1914 Hawaiian Department maneuvers

Hospital Ambulance 1914 001a.jpg

• 2 months later...