A Few Meatcans

Alec

Snagged a few meatcans today. They range from predated RIA manufactured meatcans to 1903 through WWI. Also a great surprise as there were half a dozen Marine Corps Depot made meatcans as well.

post-7194-0-07534900-1367791223.jpg

BigJohn#3RD

Meat Cans or Mess Kits? Look like Mess Kits to me. Anyhow neat pickup. Selling any?

Regards,

John

RustyCanteen

The Army nomenclature was officially "Meat Can."

Correct.

That aside, it's an impressive find.

They are not marked. The hinge is NOT cast. It is made of bent metal and has either two or three rivets.I will try to post pictures later this week if I can find some time. The Depot made them and canteens. There is documentation about the hinges and how they were being changed from two to three rivets.

The Army nomenclature was officially "Meat Can."

For me, this is new knowledge. If I were the storekeeper who had to order mess kits through the stock system, I'd never have found them. "Meat Cans" would never have been in my thought process.....

The things you learn.

<<<<< old dog... new trick.... :D

Jon B.

Newaygo MI

Airborne-Hunter

I've seen quite a bit of field gear, but USMC depot mess kits are new to me. I, too, would like to see pictures. Best ABN

In 1940 the USMC Depot stated that the three rivet meat can created issues in that the 3rd rivet loosened over time and became a spot for food to accumulate. They felt a two rivet hinge would make the meat can "easier to clean and more sanitary" and was a small savings in cost. Note the hinges are stamped metal and not cast like the Army varieties during this time period.

Note the two varieties of USMC meat cans and also that the handle is completely unmarked.

post-7194-0-10165600-1368075565.jpg

post-7194-0-51939700-1368075570.jpg

cutiger83

WOW! That is a LOT of meatcans. Very interesting fact about the two and three rivet variety.

Thanks for showing these....Kat

I posted this in a separate post too but from same source so adding here too. A French manufactured US marked 1918 dated meat can. I think unusual and maybe rare?

post-7194-0-53042100-1368331446.jpg

post-7194-0-33728400-1368331451.jpg