Trench Art made from Japanese Ordnance

shrapneldude

shrapneldude

post-1424-0-82624500-1367790821.jpg

post-1424-0-61685900-1367790835.jpg

Picked these up recently, and it occurred to me that for all the trench art items I've come across, nearly all of it has been ETO, made from US, British, French, or German shells. These were too cool not to grab.

shrapneldude

post-1424-0-59398600-1367791020.jpg

That's an Arisaka round in the center.

I'm fairly certain these were crafted or at least acquired by a US Serviceman to bring home to the US.

RustyCanteen

I'm fairly certain these were crafted or at least acquired by a US Serviceman to bring home to the US.

I would think so, especially since there was precedence with US servicemen to create/acquire trench art ashtrays.

Very interesting.

Captainofthe7th

Nice find, Dan...do you think they were produced for or by U.S. servicemen? Having two that are identical is pretty intriguing.

Rob

shrapneldude

I can't be sure who made them or for what purpose, but as they're both the same, I figure some inventive Marine, GI, Sailor, or native islander was cranking these out to sell or trade to returning American troops to take home as souvenirs.

1stDivVet

I've got a couple too!! Got one HUGE one to a guy that is a large Japanese shell, but was presented to the guy during the Korean War. i love these things!

Fins...