What a bad freaking collecting week...I was duped.

What a disappointment. I picked up all of these items from the same auction. Go figures.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/175724-newly-acquired-jump-wings/

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/175725-helmet-cover-era/

So F*ing disappointed. End rant.

"Without struggle, there is no progress." -Frederick Douglas

donation2013.gif

It has happened to us all. Hopefully the "scores" will out number the "oh hells"

Home Alive in 45

WWII Research

Website coming soon

2 million Army and AAF names and counting!

A smart phone is a great tool if you were sitting at the auction. Some quick research can save you a lot of trouble. We have all bought fakes before, if not then there would be no reason for the scammers to sell them.

Looking for items from the 38th Infantry Regiment

Feel free to read/leave For Sale section feedback: CLICK HERE

ASMIC: 5218

"Live for something rather than die for nothing."

-General George S. Patton Jr.

A smart phone is a great tool if you were sitting at the auction. Some quick research can save you a lot of trouble. We have all bought fakes before, if not then there would be no reason for the scammers to sell them.

It was through proxibid, an online auction.

What does one do with their repros? Do you guys still put them in your display or do you put them in a drawer never to look at again?

Hope it was not an expensive lesson. We have all done it.

Bob

$300 lesson :(

donation2013.gif

Proxibid...grab the photo and post it here if you had a question about it. Saves a lot of headache when learning.

I have a box of repo stuff I take to shows and what not. I was educated by some dealers that way about what to look for, so in turn I do the same thing. Scammers only hurt this hobby's reputation.

I am so sorry to read this. It has happened to most, if not all, collectors at one time or another. Doesn't take the sting out of the situation, but just know most of us have been there before.

I bought what I thought was a real tiger-stripe set off of an unscrupulous dealer when I was 14. A few years later, I found out it was a fake set. I was devestated.

Always looking for US and foreign militaria from the Central American wars circa 1970-1990

donation2017.gif

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

It was through proxibid, an online auction.

What does one do with their repros? Do you guys still put them in your display or do you put them in a drawer never to look at again?

$300 lesson :(

Which auction house was it thru proxibid?

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

I have been there! I was 19 years old when I first entered the collecting field. I spent $1,000 on a "Civil War" uniform. I later found out that it was a musicians uniform from the 20th century. I've grown a lot over the past 15 years, but it is something that I will always remember. Always do your homework, and know your area of interest like the back of your hand. $300 is a lot of money, but I think it taught you something that a textbook could never do.

Keep the faith....

In memory of Lance Corporal Jeremy S. Lasher, 2nd Battalion, 8th Marine Regiment, 2nd Marine Division, II Marine Expeditionary Force. Killed in Action July 23, 2009, Helmand Province, Afghanistan. Semper Fi

Lance Corporal's 2/8 challenge coin was STOLEN from his grave. Please see the following forum link for details: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/210650-challenge-coin-stolen-from-marine-kia-grave/&do=findComment&comment=1654270

My eBay Auctions: http://shop.ebay.com...s/m.html?_dmd=1

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gif

Proxibid...grab the photo and post it here if you had a question about it. Saves a lot of headache when learning.

I posted this...http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/173687-ss-ltd-wings/

Which auction house was it thru proxibid?

It was through Aaron Joseph & Company, LLC

donation2013.gif

I would keep them and use them in displays or use them as reference. You could also sell them to re-encators who would love a "period correct" looking wing to wear just my $0.05

LT DAVID SMITH
Prince george fire rescue
Always looking to buy

Canadian special service medals German WW2 wound badges and wound medals/badges from every other nation

donation2013.gif

Sorry to hear that. For me, I dont like having repops around so I sell/trade them to a local who deals with reenactors and bikers (I guess they buy the repop TR stuff).

Philip

Actively Seeking:

WW2 USN/USMC Attributed/Named Purple Heart Groups

WW2 USN/USMC Combat Aviation Groups

WW2 and Prior USN/USMC Medal Groups

Contact me if you have something

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif

It really sucks that you got burnt--as previous posters have said it happens to all of us--whether we want to admit it or not. Takes a real man to publicly admit his mistakes-hopefully by posting this it can save a few of us from stumbling down the same path.

Looking for: Fourth/ Seventh Rhode Island Infantry items

Purple Heart : Robert L. Freitag KIA ETO 2/11/45

Any US/German items with the last name "Freitag"

also, war-related posters

donation2013.gif

What was the original auction description of the cover? Did it say "authentic" or "looks like"...??

You might be able to send it back for a refund. Some places advertise "as is", etc. but if it was described as being "authentic", etc. you might have a shot.

Guys need to remeber that ProxiBid and Liveauctioneers are only the internet gateway to these houses, they have NOTHING to do with guarentees, descriptions, etc. The house here in question, Aaron, has many crap shinola relics., Third Reich. If you ever need a list of Proxibid/LiveAuctioneer auctions of militarias that are full of BS, just ask, I will be happy to post the lists.

Guys need to remeber that ProxiBid and Liveauctioneers are only the internet gateway to these houses, they have NOTHING to do with guarentees, descriptions, etc. The house here in question, Aaron, has many crap shinola relics., Third Reich. If you ever need a list of Proxibid/LiveAuctioneer auctions of militarias that are full of BS, just ask, I will be happy to post the lists.

Please do! You should post a list and sticky that.

donation2013.gif

At least you didn't buy a kraut helmet and find out it was fake! That gets expensive... :wacko:

Or a Winkler special

LT DAVID SMITH
Prince george fire rescue
Always looking to buy

Canadian special service medals German WW2 wound badges and wound medals/badges from every other nation

donation2013.gif