USAAF Groundcrew, unsung heroes on the ground

27thdivcollector

27thdivcollector

Bebel, that is exactly the type of Dzus tool I was talking about, How great is that, the fact that you found it in a flight jacket. Thanks for posting this.

Great topic. Thank you for sharing.

I've found this tool in a flight jacket pocket. I really didn't know what kind of item it could be. Would it be the model you're speaking about?

Franck

27thdivcollector

Andy, having taken a good long look at your items , i have decided which ones ill have !!!! ;)

arnt those A4,s great ! and the A3,s and the B2 ,s ohh the list goes on !!!!

LB

Carl, no problem, I'll stuff them all in a Jiffy bag and get them to you within the week!

Now, can I interest you in a nice line of Spanish American War items, I have decided to sell my Span/Am stuff.

27thdivcollector

I picked this up a while back, it's a Ground Flow Check meter, it is for checking the operation of the A8 and A9 series oxygen regulators while installed in the aircraft. It is complete with instructions and some nice AN inspection stamps.

post-14242-0-75542300-1384622459.jpg

27thdivcollector

More Bonney "ZENEL" wrenches and "Yankee" srewdrivers made by North Brothers. There are a good few photo's showing these in use by the ground crews and the North Brothers were a prominent manufacturer of these. All these screwdrivers have a pre-war patent stamp, and all wrenches are WW2 date coded.

post-14242-0-93783600-1384622991.jpg

27thdivcollector

Here we have a pair of wartime pliers/wirecutters made by W. Schollhorn. Co.

A dope brush which is stamped No.2 U.S.A.A.F.

A set of 10" tin snips made by the Crescent Tool Co. (Crescent was a very prevalent tool manufacturer in the '40's. A couple of pairs of slip joint pliers. Two adjustable wrenches both made by Crescent and 3 different examples of the Airplane Mechanics Dzus tools.

post-14242-0-42745800-1384629230.jpg

27thdivcollector

In this photo we have a L.Starrett Co. tachometer, these were used to measure the speed in rpm of a revolving shaft, a set of feeler gauges marked as P.W.A. (Pratt and Whitney Airplanes), A Snap On valve adjuster (also marked up to Pratt & Whitney, and one of my favourite items a Protect Plug, this is a clear plastic plug with something like silicon inside that was used to replace the spark plugs to draw the moisture out.

post-14242-0-54956600-1384629574.jpg

27thdivcollector

Finally for this evening, here are another couple of toolboxes. I'm sure that all of us on this forum have told our wives and loved ones the same lie. When the postman knocks with yet another parcel we turn to our wives and say "Yes it is some more militaria, but it is a great investment for the future!!!!!"

Well can I just say, if you happen to live in England, and if you happen to be developing some kind of fetish for WW2 American tool boxes there is no way that this will ever turn out to be a great investment!

It is heart breaking to scan the internet and find WW2 tool boxes for sale in the States for around $30, you think, Wow! bargain, gotta have it, and then you see the shipping costs, and then you get hit by customs and import duties and the the post office charges you an extra $13 just for privilege of picking the damned thing up. Your brain says in a loud and clear voice "DO NOT BUY ANOTHER TOOL BOX!" So what do you do? well we all know the answer to this, in the last few weeks I have bought 4 new tool boxes, here are two of them.

Top is the GMTK (General Mechanics Tool Kit) this example along with the other I bought is manufactured by E.J.Mcaleer & Co. Mcaleer has been identified as a maker who was contracted to make tool boxes for the U.S. Army during WW2.

Bottom is a "Chest Steel M5" tool box also called the M5 armourers tool box, these were used alongside .50 cal Brownings. Both of these tool boxes can be seen been used by ground personnel in wartime photo's.

post-14242-0-34467200-1384630103.jpg

27thdivcollector

Hey Matt, good to hear from you, I'll drop you a pm and we can have a chat, havn't spoken in a while. No I havn't seen your post on import codes, but I need to, it's getting ridiculous, I've had to pay 3 lots this week! I'm still waiting for you to post a picture of a putt putt on this thread, I'm not particular any of the three you own will do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

27thdivcollector

Love all the tool photos.

I have a M5 type tool box, but it's slight different. It only has the one latch, but looks exactly the same with a tray.

Thanks Stony, there were different variations of the M5, if you get the inclination how about posting a photo of yours here, I'd love to see it, does it have the writing on the ends?