USAAF Groundcrew, unsung heroes on the ground

27thdivcollector

Garandomatic

I think you mean Plomb. I have a few ratchets and wrenches of the period, but non-military in nature. Really cool examples of mid-century design. Plumb was known for hammers, hatchets, (the M1917 Bolo) things like that, but has pretty much turned import by now, so the internet claims. Plomb went on to become proto tools.

27thdivcollector

I think you mean Plomb. I have a few ratchets and wrenches of the period, but non-military in nature. Really cool examples of mid-century design. Plumb was known for hammers, hatchets, (the M1917 Bolo) things like that, but has pretty much turned import by now, so the internet claims. Plomb went on to become proto tools.

Thanks for the info regarding Plomb tools, I appreciate it.

This is part of the ground crew of B-17F "Fast Worker II" She was in the 359th BS 303rd BG (H) at Molesworth England. It looks like they are all wearing knit caps.

Steve

Steve, another great picture, it's always great to see groundcrew photo's especially when we know which base they were from and even the plane they were assigned to, as always please keep 'em coming.

Johan, another beautiful A 4, hopefully I will soon be able to claim membership to the A 4 owners club too! I also like the ration crate, would love to see more pics of ration crates, has anyone started a thread on these?

littlebuddy

Andy i have a Plomb carpenters axe that was my grand fathers !! he started his apprenticeship in 1922 as a carpenter !! i still use it at work to this day !! i know its not usmilitaria related but it just goes to show how well made items can last !!!

Carl

This has been a fun and educational thread! Thanks to the starter and all the contributors!

Here is my small contribution, M1941 field jacket worn by a aircraft mechanic who trained as a B-24 mechanic. He served stateside, but was discharge near the end of the war for a disability, I don't know why he removed the chevrons as he was discharged as a PFC so he was not demoted. Most likely used them on another uniform.

post-203-0-39046800-1369606887.jpg

post-203-0-68405700-1369606904.jpg

After reading and posting some pictures in this thread I decided to add a small addition to my display. The leather pants and 5 button sweater. I think it looks great.

post-5349-0-83394400-1369609318.jpg

27thdivcollector

This has been a fun and educational thread! Thanks to the starter and all the contributors!

Here is my small contribution, M1941 field jacket worn by a aircraft mechanic who trained as a B-24 mechanic. He served stateside, but was discharge near the end of the war for a disability, I don't know why he removed the chevrons as he was discharged as a PFC so he was not demoted. Most likely used them on another uniform.

attachicon.gifOBERMEYER FRONT 5-27-13.jpg

attachicon.gifOBERMEYER LFT SLEEVE.jpg

Oh my! that is one beauty of an M-41, I love the fact that the Engineer speciality badge is still present, and the fact that he worked on B-24's, wonderful just wonderful, I should say thanks for posting a picture of it but my jealously just won't let me! :D

27thdivcollector

After reading and posting some pictures in this thread I decided to add a small addition to my display. The leather pants and 5 button sweater. I think it looks great.

Steve, great to see some of your room, it looks fantastic! I have done exactly the same with one of my mannequins, only used a pair of b2 trousers and sweater, it is a great look. Your B1's have a fantastic AAF logo on them, they look unissued. I need to check out the rest of your war room have you posted it on the forum? it looks familiar I'm sure I've seen it before. I like the bunny suit very much, it looks in beautiful condition.

• 2 weeks later...
27thdivcollector

Ok, I can now hold my head up high, I've got one, in-fact it's on my head as I write this, yes it's a Goodyear and yes I'm very very happy Thanks to VZEMPKE for this.

post-14242-0-33432400-1370717953.jpg

27thdivcollector

Here's another shot, of the A4 Mechanics Cap. This was classed as winter issue and as we have seen in the many superb photo's added to this thread were a very common item specifically designed for the ground crews.

I have been able to find the existence of two other makers of the A4, well sort of. One contractor was "CASTLE GATE" and the other I couldn't quite read the full name (Aaahhhgg!!!!!!!!) but it was something ".......& DANIEL) so if anyone out there knows this maker please let me know.

post-14242-0-51530900-1370718027.jpg

27thdivcollector

Here's a couple of toolboxes I have managed to get hold off, the top one was made by Simonson, I believe this type of toolbox was made from the '40's through to the '60's. The bottom toolbox is an M1 armourers box. hopefully I will be able to find more toolboxes in the future.

post-14242-0-23322000-1370718907.jpg

Here's a close up of the Simonson data plate.

nice stuff, I use to have a thing for ground crew items years ago......good to see it under its own topic.

This tool box has a post 1947 specification number better known as MIL-SPEC. This type of tool box might have existed in WWII then redesignated under the new MIL-SPEC system in 1947. The data plate just tells me it was manufactured after 1947

27thdivcollector

Great info Dustin, thanks for letting me know, I've looked all over for good info on this toolbox and all I could find out that Simonson produced them from 1943 until the early '60's.

27thdivcollector

Ok, I can now hold my head up high, I've got one, in-fact it's on my head as I write this, yes it's a Goodyear and yes I'm very very happy Thanks to VZEMPKE for this.

Of course the maker is Goodwear not Goodyear, I must have been "TYRED" when I wrote this :P

• 2 weeks later...

Here is an unknown ground crew with an unknown B-17. They all helped win the war. Again notice the how they wore their "uniforms".

Steve

post-5349-0-90387000-1371864272.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Here's one of my original photos and a also one of my favorites. Both ground crew wearing the A-3 cap and D-1 jacket.

post-5589-0-63943700-1408380068.jpg

Here are two more original pictures with D-1s in them.

First one is a group ground crew shot.

post-5589-0-61359000-1408380257.jpg

Second one is by a jeep with "expiditer" on it. Does anyone know what that means?

post-5589-0-04110700-1408380266.jpg