USAAF Groundcrew, unsung heroes on the ground

27thdivcollector

27thdivcollector

There are many collectors of flight crew gear and uniforms and a good few books on the subject, however when it comes to the fellows who had to "Keep 'em flying" there doesn't seem to be the same interest, or is there?

Here is my first offering of one of the fellows those combat crews relied on to bring them home safe.

Please, if anyone out there has groundcrew related items I would be incredibly gratefull if you would join in on this post and show us what's out there. Thanks,

post-14242-0-08839400-1367693979.jpg

27thdivcollector

Here are my B2's although not strictly groundcrew issue they were used in significant enough numbers to be included here.

post-14242-0-57433800-1367694226.jpg

littlebuddy

Have you got 6 heads Andy??? if not you dont need all of them !! ;):P

Carl

27thdivcollector

My favourite hat in the world the A3 Mechanics cap.I have managed to find another two since this photo, sorry for the state of no.5 but this is my everyday hat.

post-14242-0-22761400-1367694543.jpg

27thdivcollector

Have you got 6 heads Andy??? if not you dont need all of them !! ;):P

Carl

You have four B2's yourself, you don't need any of mine!

littlebuddy

you had better check my bag and myself after ive been to your house Andy !! :o "no i definatley had 4 arms and legs when i came in Andy!!!"

27thdivcollector

MMMMM number 4 looks familiar Andy !!! ;):P

The fine hat I got from you has not been photo'ed yet, I'm waiting until you decide that you no longer need your minty one! I would like to get one with an intact label of all the manufacturers.

I have been able to find four manufacturers of the A3's "SOCIETY HAT BRAND", "ZIP-A-BAG", "ASHLEY HATS" and "PREMIUM CAP CO." Does anyone know of any other makers?

littlebuddy

Fantastic displays Andy !!! you have got all geed up now to get my spare room sorted out!!

Great displays and good to honour the ground crews like that, without whom etc.... You just need a couple of EM's ETO jackets to complete the set! ;)

That is a great looking display. You have some fine looking uniforms there, and well put together. I have many pictures of 8th AAF ground crews as they were so important to the war effort. The pictures I have show the men wearing all kinds of equipment, just like your display. Great stuff.

Steve

kyhistorian01

Nice collection of ground crew uniforms. Here is a small tribute to mechanics I set up a few years ago for a local museum.

Robert

post-6492-0-73047200-1367722361.jpg

Jack's Son

So often overlooked in history and collecting. Guess it wasn't a glamour job, except to the flight crews!

Garandomatic

I tend to go after uniforms of the air crews, but I'd flip over a nice ID'd ground crew grouping, preferably with a nice amount of photos. Tons of respect for the guys that made them work, and cried their eyes out when they didn't come home.

AAF_Collection

Great display Andy! I also collect equipment and groupings relating to ground staff. The thing to remember with these men,unlike the air crew who usually had the option to return home (if) they survived their tours,the ground crews were generally overseas for the duration. They also faced dangers,from accidents,enemy attacks and so on.

Matt.

The ground crews are are most certainly unsung heros in my mind, they kept the birds flying. Surely not a glory job but an essential part of the puzzle.

Here is a question about the jacket bottom right in the mannequin photo: Is that a D1 with buttons?

Thanks for sharing. Here is my small bit of ground crew shearling:

post-112555-0-40870100-1367737208.jpg

27thdivcollector

The ground crews are are most certainly unsung heros in my mind, they kept the birds flying. Surely not a glory job but an essential part of the puzzle.

Here is a question about the jacket bottom right in the mannequin photo: Is that a D1 with buttons?

Thanks for sharing. Here is my small bit of ground crew shearling:

Mr Lits, The D-1 jacket bottom right has press studs, the zip clearly gave up and was replaced by a set of brown press studs, the studs are the exact same type as used on Britsh Para smocks etc. If I get chance I will post some pics later today of my D1's. I love your D-1 I remember watching it when it was up for sale, a real beauty.

Also thanks guys for all the great comments, not just for my humble collection but more importantly about the role of the guys who worked the hardstands through sub zero temperatures, rain storms, freezing fog and everything else mother nature had to throw at them. And the fact that a lot of this work had to be done through the night makes their achievements all the more awe inspiring.

27thdivcollector

Here are several types of inspection and signalling lamps used by ground personnel.

post-14242-0-32697800-1367747504.jpg

27thdivcollector

Mechanics Aprons, B1 and B2. These things are pretty useless items the pockets don't seem very secure for carrying tools on expensive air craft. Also what I find weird is that the B1 Aprons are made from the darker OD7 canvas whereas the later B2 Aprons are made from the lighter shade canvas, you would think it would be the other way round.

post-14242-0-72305300-1367747802.jpg

27thdivcollector

That is a great looking display. You have some fine looking uniforms there, and well put together. I have many pictures of 8th AAF ground crews as they were so important to the war effort. The pictures I have show the men wearing all kinds of equipment, just like your display. Great stuff.

Steve

Steve, please please feel free to post any pics you have of groundcrews here I would love to see them.

27thdivcollector

Great displays and good to honour the ground crews like that, without whom etc.... You just need a couple of EM's ETO jackets to complete the set! ;)

Sabre Jet, I couldn't agree more, they're on the "To Get" list!!

27thdivcollector

Great display Andy! I also collect equipment and groupings relating to ground staff. The thing to remember with these men,unlike the air crew who usually had the option to return home (if) they survived their tours,the ground crews were generally overseas for the duration. They also faced dangers,from accidents,enemy attacks and so on.

Matt.

Matt, I'd love to see your ground personnel stuff, have you posted it on the forum? If not jump in here and put some pics on this thread let's "Keep 'em flying!"

AAF_Collection

Hi Andy,

No problem,but I'm afraid most of the bigger bits of kit are still in the process of being restored,here's my Cletrac MG "Bomber Nurse" as it appeard just after I bought it in 2011,it now has a full set of lights etc,but needs a lot more work!.

SDC12543.jpg

My 43 Dodge WC-52,an original 8th Air Force vehicle from the 854th BS-491st BG at Metfield. This pic is a couple of years old,I've now done more conservation work on the original markings and replaced the non-original front wheels.

SDC14347.jpg

I have a few other bits,two Clarktor projects,a large wheeled AAF compressor,a couple of Homelite bomber APU's etc.

Regards,

Matt.