Spalding Flight Helmet.

pjm

Recently acquired a WWI pilot's grouping with this wonderful Spalding helmet. The insignia makes it!

post-8161-0-77546600-1367618351.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a nice cockpit shot. Caption on the back states "between 5000 and 7000 feet July 1918" and an shot after a forced landing.

post-8161-0-63643100-1368644072.jpg

post-8161-0-83658500-1368644111.jpg

Since receiving the group I've been doing a bit of research. One of the uniforms is tailor marked and one of the photos bears a stamp from businesses in Wichita Falls, Tx. That town is five miles away from Call Field where this pilot was evidently trained. With a little googling I found Lewis Lupton Kaylor, Corporal, of the Photographic Section, Air Service, United States Army who most likely took the cockpit shots posted here. I found images of other pilots taken in an identical aircraft (a Jenny) and from the same perspective. He definitely took other some of the photos that came with this grouping as these can be found on www.airminded.net.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Still looking for information on this helmet...like an official designation, if it had one. I have seen a variant with what appears to be a thicker cross padding on the top, I resume it is a later version.

• 4 years later...

There was one of these on worthpoint.com from a 2012 ebay sale:

1.jpeg

WW I US MILITARY AVIATOR FLIGHT HELMET LEATHER ANTIQUE SPALDING

DESCRIPTION
This old World War I helmet came from the same estate as the gloves I am listing in my other auction. It is leather with cloth interior. The soft leather back extends down to cover the neck and has snaps around the bottom edge. The head part is hard leather and has a pair of black painted wings on the front. There is a set of initials in black GMC or GMD on one side and another logo painted on the other side. There is a logo stamped in the leather that says SPALDING Made in USA with #7 above it. There is some other words there I can’t read on the logo. Near the top back stamped in the leather is the word “GEORGE” and on the other side of the seam is another word I can’t make out. Notice the loop on top