WWII Airplane Engine Data Plate ?

tigerfan

This Pratt & Whitney plate came from the scrapbook of a WWII tech rep that worked in the CBI theater for Curtiss Wright. I assume this is a data plate from an engine. Possibly for a P-40 or C-46?

post-2609-0-08416200-1367586948.jpg

Third Herd

The C-46 was powered by Pratt & Whitney R-2800-51 18-cylinder engines.The plate lists the firing order for an 18-cylinder engine.

bronxboymike

Tigerfan, I think you're a little off-base and looking at the wrong branch of service. The huge clue is in the top right of the data plate, it's US with an anchor in the middle. That is how the navy marked their parts. The R2800 was used in the F4 Corsair, F6F Hellcat, and the DC-3 all of which were in naval service. I'm sure if you knew the specs for each aircraft one could narrow it down. But definately not from an Army Air Corps aicraft, unless it was "borrowed".

Mike

Thanks for the replies. I assumed army as the branch of service as he was never with the USN although I did notice the anchor with US on either side. He was a civilian tech rep for curtiss wright and stationed in Africa and India. He worked with P-40's and C-46's. So I would assume if the plate is from a USN aircraft someone must have given it to him, possibly traded for it or he got it stateside somehow. I knew this person and listened to several stories but he has since past and I only recently acquired the plate and unfortunately no history.