"AU" in the center of a pair of wings

Spikehsv

My friend has a small pair of wings about 1 1/4" (looks like a gold wash finish) that belonged to his Dad. His Dad was in WWII US Army Air Corps and was some type of hydraulic mechanic in aviation. The wing looks very similar to a Navy Aircrew wing except in the center circle is AU (where AC would be in a Navy aircrew wing). Anyone have a guess to what it is? Sorry but I don't have a photo.

Spike

vintageproductions

Air University, I have a small size pair from the airman's training days.

COOKIEMAN

ACTUALLY, the pin is from The Aeronautical University, located in Chicago. During WW2 it was under contract to the AAF to train Aircraft and Engine Mechanics. During this time an AAF Training Detachment was assigned there, see the attached Instructor's patch. Also, check out the following two internet links.

http://airandspace.si.edu/collections/artifact.cfm?id=A19710693077

http://www.amazon.com/1937-Aeronautical-University-Curtiss-Wright-Engineer/dp/B005DH5PEG

post-14361-0-62940200-1367464902.jpg

Cookieman,

Thanks. that makes more sense after what my friend told me:

"My dad was in an Army unit in California, at the start of WWII and request to go to school for airplane mechanics. They sent him to an school in Chicago. His unit was shipped off to the Pacific and he would have to be placed in a different Air Corps unit, upon graduation."

Spike

5thwingmarty

After seeing this post I stopped by an antique mall and spotted this wing. I liked it for $10.

post-96854-0-11967900-1367541537.jpg

post-96854-0-37432300-1367541548.jpg