Help Dating Corporal Chevron

gap

Is this WW2 or Korean issue? Cut edge, no glow. Sorry, but blackberry photos are not great. Tan/khaki embroidered stripes on dark blue twill background . Olive green thread on back around the edge. Thanks.

post-51748-0-75394600-1367415177.jpg

post-51748-0-78951200-1367415185.jpg

WW2 period. Meant for the summer khaki uniform but in practice worn on OD too.

I'm sorry, I only date sergeants and above! :)

Hey everybody...JS is back on form and all is well with the world!! :lol:

WW2 period. Meant for the summer khaki uniform but in practice worn on OD too.

Sabrejet,

How can you tell the difference? I have seen Craig Pickrall's post on this forum with examples of chevrons, but I am having trouble differentiating between my chevron and the chevron Craig posted as Korean War era.

Craig's post: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/12181-army-enlisted-rank-insignia-chevrons/?hl=%20post-war%20%20chevron

These WW2 period stripes came in various forms. Some were woven rayon...some OD thread on blue felt...some all felt etc. Post-WW2 KW era they were OD (green) on a blue twill backing.

Sabrejet,

How can you tell the difference? I have seen Craig Pickrall's post on this forum with examples of chevrons, but I am having trouble differentiating between my chevron and the chevron Craig posted as Korean War era.

Craig's post: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/12181-army-enlisted-rank-insignia-chevrons/?hl=%20post-war%20%20chevron

Check the size, Korean war are much smaller

J_Andrews

i was once told that the "silver-tan" stripes on blue-black, whether woven or embroidered, were never ISSUE and always PRIVATE PURCHASE.

Their optional wear having been set during WWII, they persisted AFTER the war, usually for "walking-out" dress -- not an daily work unifs or those worn in ranks with troops. The small gold-blue/blue-gold stripes were not liked.

craig_pickrall

Sabrejet,

All of the photos I used for that display are shot with a scale in the pic. Be sure to check the width size and you will see the difference.

craig_pickrall

As a quick reference to get you in the ball park...

WW2 USMC chevrons = 3 1/2" wide

WW2 Army chevrons = 3" wide

Korean War era Army chevrons = 2" wide (This is the small blue / gold or gold / blue chevrons)

Since the Korean War lasted from 1950 through 1953, I guess that both the 2 inch and 3 inch chevrons are technically Korean War era. With that said, I have trouble differentiating between WW2 army chevrons and 1951-1958 army chevrons (both 3 inch). The 2 inch army chevrons are not an issue.

As stated by Sabrejet the M1951 stripes are OD embroidered on Blue Twill, they were the dominate style from 1952 to 1958, the WWII types however were still worn by a great many GIs during this period.

Here is a Example of the three main styles seen in the 52-58 period.

Using the Sergeant Stripe and one 1st Sergeant as a guide, ( that's right, Sergeant, these were known as Sergeant in those days, there was no Staff Sergeant Grade, the Army just used the Staff Sergeant ranks for the grade of Sergeant.

The White/Silver/Light Khaki Woven type (one other was a Silver/Tan Embroidered on Black Twill just like the Corporal stripe you posted)

post-34986-0-24367600-1367468249.jpg

The OD embroidered on Black Wool Felt, (the OD used on these types came in a number of shades and embroidery styles).

post-34986-0-09245000-1367468420.jpg

And the M1951, OD embroidered on Dark Blue Twill (here the OD shade and embroidery styles was constant and standard with no variation).

post-34986-0-34994000-1367468571.jpg

Thanks Patches. Seems the shade of blue on the M1951 patch is brighter than the dark navy blue on the WW2 chevrons.

Because I used a cell phone, the colors on the photo I posted are misleading -- in reality the twill background is more dark blue than black and the stripes are less tan and more silver.

Verdict ----- WW2 era chevron!

Thanks Patches. Seems the shade of blue on the M1951 patch is brighter than the dark navy blue on the WW2 chevrons.

Because I used a cell phone, the colors on the photo I posted are misleading -- in reality the twill background is more dark blue than black and the stripes are less tan and more silver.

Verdict ----- WW2 era chevron!

For those WWII Twill one's, if you really want to get down to it the twill on these types is similar to Navy Blue, but to make things a whole lot easier just call it Black Twill, as that's what it resembles. The M1951, well here as you noticed it is a completly differant shade of Blue Twill, kinda like on the darkish side of a Medium Blue.

craig_pickrall

This is a close up of the Korean era blue twill background with embroidered OD chevrons. Most of the WW2 chevrons were on felt and the few that were on twill do not match this type.

post-5-0-48894100-1367530655.jpg