?Questions about the Mark 2 USN KA-BAR?

gooseandspoons

gooseandspoons

I recently bought a Mark 2 USN knife and I would like to learn more about it. I've done some research and I have somewhat of a grasp but would like more info.

The knife I bought has KA- on one side of the guard and USN on the other side. There are no

BAR MK-2

stamps on the blade itself.

Is this knife made by Camillus?

What is the time frame for this knife, 1944-1945?

What are these worth?

Also the pin in the butt of the handle seems to be large and beat the hell up. Is this unusual?

Any help will be great because I am new at edged weapon collecting.

post-17469-0-11625800-1367374945.jpg

gooseandspoons

oh yeah, I almost forgot. Should I clean the rust off? I looked on the bladeforum and saw someone mention chrome polish.

Still-A-Marine

It is made by Ka-Bar. I would clean the metal with gun oil and 0000 steel wool. Just rub enough to knock the rust off then stop. It is a WWII knife.

Bill

bayonetman

Ka-Bar is a trade name of the Union Cutlery Company of Olean, New York. They were the company whose design was approved by the Marine Corps in 1942. Four companies made the knife for the Marines and the Navy, but the name Ka-Bar became the generic name for the design regardless of the maker. The design is still a issue item today, but Union Cutlery has not made the knife on US contract since 1945. The knife you describe was manufactured for the Navy from late 1944 to the end of the war. It is common to see some some damage around the pin holding the pommel plate on as these were essentially installed with a hammer.

Rust should be cleaned to prevent further damage, but for collector purposes you should remove as little of the original Parkerized finish as possible. I personally use a product sold as G-96 oil (I use the spray version). I spray the metal (keep it off the leather!) and then wrap it in plastic wrap overnight (point down so the oil does not migrate into the handle) to allow the oil to penetrate the rust as much as possible. I use 0000 steel wool saturated in the oil and GENTLY rub the metal to remove the rust. DO NOT OVERDO! I also use the oil soaked wool to GENTLY work on the guard and pommel. I then wipe off the residue and wipe the metal with a cloth with a little RIG grease for preservation.

I am sure there are other equally good methods. The main object is to remove rust without damaging the underlying finish, which is hard to do. I would rather leave a little crusty rust soaked in RIG than take off original finish.

gooseandspoons

thank you so much for the help guys. this is my first KA-BAR and hopefully not the last :D

I paid $50 for it. Is that a good price?

gooseandspoons

I didn't think I got took, but just wanted to make sure. I bought it along with a M1A1 case that I got for $10 and I got the knife for $50, all total I think I did pretty damn good :D

g&s

Congratulations on a very nice addition to your collection. I must remind you that there are dangers......... your "first" ! My wife allways reminds me of my ADDICTION.:) Keep in mind, "but dear it followed me home" never works. Edged Weapons can become very addictive, and lots of interesting and new finds around always.

You did well

Tony