Project "the replacement"

woodhatcher

woodhatcher

On September 7, 1944 a new division disembarked in Normandy. The American 104th Infantry Division, nicknamed ‘the Timberwolves’, had not seen action yet and its soldiers were ready to show their mettle.

They took up position near the Belgian border town of Wuustwezel, thus ending up in a British sector. It was here that they started on the offensive.

IMG_1411.JPG

On October 25th, 1944 the Timberwolves crossed into occupied Holland. The liberation was on its way. Very soon, they liberated Zundert and the GI’s continued their advance along the Breda-Roosendall road.

Dead2.jpg

On November 2nd, 1944 the soldiers moved up to the Mark river and formed a bridgehead. Although the division was having a very successful advance, they were also suffering casualties.

IMG_6405-1.jpg

On November 5th, 1944 the river Maas was reached. The division was to be relocated near Aachen, where it would join the US 7th Army Corps. A unit of the 414th Infantry Regiment was billeted to an old farm house where they were to await transportation.

IMG_6416.jpg

IMG_6421-2.jpg

IMG_6428-1.jpg

Because of the casualties that had been suffered, new recruits were being sent in. These ‘newbies’ had to replace comrades that had only very recently been lost. They were not always welcomed with a warm smile.

IMG_6430.jpg

IMG_6444-1.jpg

In the rear, the soldiers had time to relax. It was the opportune moment to write letters to the ones they loved back home. Here, they could also read the letters from those loved ones.

IMG_6453-1.jpg

IMG_6457.jpg

The last elements of the 104th ID were pulled out of Moerdijk on November 7th, 1944. They went to Aachen for some R&R and necessary replenishments. The war, however, was not over yet.

On November 16th, 1944 the Timberwolves moved further into Germany. They started an offensive that would last for 195 consecutive days.

Kind Regards Vincent

RustyCanteen

Very nice work.

It's refreshing to see that there were other units in WWII than only Airborne & Rangers.

woodhatcher

Very nice work.

It's refreshing to see that there were other units in WWII than only Airborne & Rangers.

Thanks, we wanted to portray an Infantry outfit that fought in Belgium and the Timberwolves are one of those Division. They are even coming over this week to visit the towns they liberated 70years ago. Just picked Timberwolf Veteran William "Bill" Danner of the airport.

• 2 weeks later...

I've always had a soft spot for the Timberwolves as they were activated at Camp Adair in Oregon very near my home. I think in the end General Terry Allen did right by his men and was one of WWII great generals despite all of his detractors.

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

like the pics - good job but you guys look too clean to me ...

think your garment 'n stuff would look more realistic after some break in

cool setup and storyline anyway

woodhatcher

nicely done---reminded me once again of my late uncle, buried in ypres.

Do you know where in Ypres he is burried? I live 4miles from Ypres.

@rotxxyyzz

We did look a bit to clean at that time, as we where a newly started group, I can say that now, we look sometimes a bit to dirty :P

@qochoc:

I've had the chance to visit Camp Adair last year with another member from our remembrance group:

img7802o.jpg

Here an article about our visit: http://www.gazettetimes.com/news/local/forever-grateful/article_d636a190-efe3-11e1-9ff9-0019bb2963f4.html

Kind Regards, Vincent