2 WWII Navy Patches

wolfbay

ww2relichunter

Never seen the first patch before but wow it is a beauty !! Congrats on the find i hope somebody knows what it is a would love to find out !

Johnny Signor

Your first patch reminds me of a WW2 Navy "Patrol" Squadron type , I've not seen it before, but there's 3 "frontal" view of aircraft in the upper right and the para torpedo/mine indicate the type, BUT, there's also the possibility of it being latter era as Bullion types were made into the Korean era etc .

The Texas Plainsmen also another I've not seen would narrow down the bases they could have been at t only that state , so I'd try googling the title and Texas Naval air bases in the WW2 era and see what that brings about .

Johnny

The bullion patch is fantastic! Probably THE best (IMO) squadron patch that I've seen. I agree that it is probably a VT or VP squadron. Wondering if the lower left quadrant is symbolic of the CBI.

vostoktrading

That bullion patch in post one is interesting. The cross in the top left looks like a Maltese cross.

The colors split white and red match the Maltese flag.

In the early 1950's the US Navy had some P2V squadrons temporarily based at RAF Luqa on Malta.

Perhaps it has something to do with Malta?

Jon.

post-7885-0-62978600-1367353993.gif

post-7885-0-34684400-1367354029.png

Johnny Signor

on the menu the title "Skybusters" is mentioned,possibly a "lead" to what this squadron was , I'm thinking they may have been based out of Naval Air Station Dallas seeing as the cowboy/bucking longhorn are the main design ...................also if the motel name can be googled it will help narrow down where they were.

If you find anything definite on it please keep us informed , VERY cool patches and thanks for sharing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

johnny

Johnny Signor

Did you try "Auxiallry" air stations for that area,or the nearest NAS to Amirillo , they could have travelled seeing as Texas is so large a state .

Also try the Amirrillo newspapers of that time via net search, there may be a story of the meeting at the hotel

Johnny

Garth Thompson

The lower left panel of the first posted patch has a sonobouy which were not used by the US Navy in WW2 so the patch would be later. Sonobouys were used earliest by P-2V Neptune aircraft. Lower right panel would be a symbol of the US colors and the upper left is the design of Malta. So I think Jon on post #13 is correct on this particular patch.

Garth

Johnny Signor

I was talking about the Skybusters patch as it's WW2 , no question about the Bullion being latter era , as you mentioned the para sonabuoy is 50's-60's era , so most likely a VP or VS type .the three frontal view aircraft on the top right section also appear to be twin engine types with tip tanks ,so again probably P2v type.

Johnny

try posting the bullion one over at this site

VP Navy

that one should get you an ID if any site will ...............

Johnny Signor

Yeah , that one is a really nice find, now if only we can figure out what/when about it !!!!!!!!!!!!

Johnny

• 1 year later...

The Texas Plainsmen were 60 young student pilots put together from young men from the panhandle of Texas.I found an article published July 11 1942 in the Amarillo Daily News with an explanation of what the Texas Plainsmen Squadron was all about.It goes so far as to say that the Globe News will prepare the insignia for the boys all the way down to stickers for their luggage.This squadron was to sleep eat play and train as one unit just like the Famous WW1 US Navy unit who fought and died together.I do not know if they were able to stay together but it will make an interesting research project for some one.I printed the page but it came out so tiny I needed a glass to read it.When I figure out how to print it larger I will scan it in for all to see.I own the plainsmen group that started this post and I hate unknown insignia.Scotty

Johnny Signor

Hey Scotty , glad you have a "lead" on this one, I'm just like you , I abhor "unknown/Un-ID'd"unit emblems , I have a photo albums with about 50-60 give/take that I'm still working on when time permits , so many to try to figure out first what service branch , and then what "mission" type they were etc etc etc ................

Please keep us posted on the info about the Texas Plainsmen !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Johnny