U.S. VICTORY revolver, holster, Navy Wings

digi-shots

I haven't posted much on this forum even though I follow it fairly regularly. I kinda like the Victory models from WWII and thought I'd post one of my favorites.

This Victory, holster and wings came together from the estate of a WWII Navy Pilot. The Victory was shipped from the S&W factory on May 16, 1944 to the U.S. Navy, Nofolk, Virginia.

The holster is stamped USN BOYT 44 and was most likely rigger modified with the bullet loops on the shoulder strap.

post-4361-0-37099900-1367156537.jpg

Very nice finish on the revolver. Is it marked US Navy on the top strap? I had one several years ago and it still was a nice shooter.

Very nice, and gorgeous photography by the way. I have a very similar rig in my collection. I love these modified holsters, and my rig with revolver looks identical to yours, although my gun is not quite as nice. Congratulations. Kevin

Thanks for the kind words!

No, this one is U.S. PROPERTY stamped, not U.S. NAVY. I think the S&W factory stopped stamping them U.S. NAVY in mid 1943 or so and around serial number V269xxx.

Wow, :D very nice looking Victory. I just got a S&W Victory from Robert ( serial # 357XXX) and I would love to find a modified holster like yours !!

BTW, The wings are killer also, are the wings marked on the reverse, and is there any info on the pilot ?? Thanks for posting !!!

Chris

Wow, :D very nice looking Victory. I just got a S&W Victory from Robert ( serial # 357XXX) and I would love to find a modified holster like yours !!

BTW, The wings are killer also, are the wings marked on the reverse, and is there any info on the pilot ?? Thanks for posting !!!

Chris

Chris,

Post some pics of your "new" Victory when you get a chance! You might want to get it lettered, it could very possibly be a US Property stamped, Navy shipped gun. I remember it.

The Pilot's wings are stamped AMICO on the back. I posted some pics in the WING section. He was a veteran of the Yorktown... after it was sunk, his squadron transferred to the Enterprise and later was on the Shangri-La. He was a three time awardee of the Navy Cross, the Distinguished Flying Cross and received four Air Medals. I'll bring his "file" with me and show it to you the next time you stop by.

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice! Is that a bulge in the barrel forward of the frame? I really need to get a nice Victory Model. They aren't getting any cheaper.

ww2relichunter

wow great revovler and even better you have the vets name who owned it find that always makes military weapons more speical to me !

digi-shots

I agree, named groupings are always a little special.

The barrel is fine.... the inside grooves are sharp with no bulge. I've seen this on other Victory models, some are really noticeable others aren't. I'm not sure what it is... maybe just the tapering of the barrel or indicative of a "war time finish".

Hello!

About the barrel "bulge" I agree with digi-shots. In some Victory this this can be seen, in others not at all. Look at my two babies: that on the top is a pre-Victory (s.n. 973981 no V prefix) and that on the bottom is a U.S. Navy marked (s.n. V 238854), the first one shipped April 1942, the second February 1943. Well, the first one has some "bulge", while the latter has the barrel perfectly tapered. Just very light machining differences. After all, these wartime revolvers were no more like those old M1917 released by S&W during WWI, with that splendid commercial finish and that immaculate machining...

Fausto

post-8381-0-72496300-1368485200.jpg

Thanks Linda and thanks hink ! Yes, they are mint, unfired, absolutely new... But no history behind them...The pre-Victory was sent in April 1942 - as said - to the Southbridge Police Department, Massachusetts and never issued. The other one is a standard U.S. Navy marked, again never issued. I got them nearly 40 years ago, when these pristine pieces were easier to find and at an affordable price. Now I'm old, they are not...

By the way, Linda, your revolver looks as mint as mine but with a lot of history behind... Nice, very nice.

Here my Navy holster, marked U.S.N. Boyt 43. Again, a mint piece. Beautiful to look at, but never been on the shoulder of a pilot riding a Corsair or a Hellcat... Anyway I love it...

Fausto

post-8381-0-28361500-1368514930.jpg

post-8381-0-59793600-1368514938.jpg

According to a conversation I had some time ago with Roy Jinks, S&W historian, the majority of 4 inch Victory revolvers were shipped to the U.S. Navy whether they are Navy marked or U.S. Property marked.

I just sent a letter to Mr. Jinks regarding my Victory model serial # 357XXX. Will update when I hear from him.

Chris

digi-shots

I just sent a letter to Mr. Jinks regarding my Victory model serial # 357XXX. Will update when I hear from him.Chris

Chris, if it turns out not to be a Navy, I'll be glad to take it off your hands!