A great WWI monument in Ohio

ScottG

This is a great monument in the town of Gallipolis Ohio near the Ohio River border with West Virginia. many of these were commisioned after WWI and placed in municipalities by veteran groups. Gallipolis has restored this one and built a great memorial wall around it to include all of thier county veterans through the current wars. Scott.

100_4480_zps21d714d3.jpg

Garandomatic

They made these out of a few materials. I think ours in town is cast iron, but could be wrong. It used a real 17 Enfield barrel and bayonet, if memory serves, as some idiot hacked it off "for defense" and has since been poorly fixed. My dad operates a lost-wax foundry, and we restored one from a neighboring town that appeared to be entirely stamped copper, very light. As for realism, the best I have seen is what appears to be a nice cast bronze in McConnellsville, Ohio. Bayonet fixed, posed very aggressively in a charge. It's a nice one. This statue, and the many varieties of it out there, has always been a favorite that has occupied my mind since I was a little kid.

Here's a shot of the McConnellsville statue I found. Looks like the bayonet is a bit bent here, too. I'd like to run through any punk that would deface a piece like this to have something that would be completely useless as a knife.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/blondie5000/1430928604/

It's nice to see the WWI memorials in good condition. I think we are about to see more interest in the period with the coming 100th anniversarys that are coming up.

Garandomatic

I hope so, too. I felt an interesting distinction a few years ago when I marched some of my students in the Vets' Parade in my uniforms. That first year I was in better shape and had an unnamed WWI uniform I put together that fit. I imagine it had been along time since a doughboy in uniform had been in the parade.

• 2 months later...

Wow, that is a nice one. I'll have to look for that when I am down in that area next. Thanks for sharing!