Mexican War Veteran Medals

themedalluminary

themedalluminary

Hello, This is Nick Penachio. I am interested to hear about named Mexican War Veteran Shields for a list and that might lead to a book on the National Mexican War Veterans Society. There were somewhere between 3,000 to 4,000 named Mexican War Veterans Society medals circulated to members from the 1870s to the early 1900s. There is information existing on the issue or buying of the medals by certain veterans and their units that they served with. I am again interested to hear of any of the named shields you have- the veterans name and the unit he served in. I would also be interested in photographs of Mexican War veterans wearing the large or small shield medals. I am a new member and this is my first post to this site and I appreciate your answers. I am quite knowledgable about Mexican War Veteran Medals and quite possibly could answer any questions you might have about them. Thanks for your reply Nick Penachio

Welcome to the Forum, Nick. Have you tried posting this under the Veterans' Organizations sub-forum? That might yield some answers.

Pete

Nick, Welcome to the Forum. The only Mex War shield I own is named to Simon D. Lane, US Navy. He served under the name Simon Brown. Sorry the photo of the engraving isn't the best.

post-10651-0-28330100-1366944582.jpg

themedalluminary

Hello Adam R. Thanks so much for that scan- great medal- US Navy Mexican War Veterans were only about 10% of the Mexican War Veterans. I appreciate it and I will add to my list. I will write you another day with what my plans are in getting the list and pamphlet together. Regards Nick

themedalluminary

Hello Adam,Thanks for the posts of the great Mexican War Medals. Oddly and this is some coincidence I recieved an old OMSA Journal from 1974 with a short article on Mexican War medals with 6 Mexican War Shield Medals mentioned. Would you believe on one the shields was it engraved a "William H. Grove - Capt.- Santa Fe Cavalry" Complete with top. I believe in the early 1960s the dealer Yaskisky? had it. The two shields to Holland and Searle you posted pictures of from your sales list I had not ever seen or heard of. Thanks for posting them and I will again keep you posted I have to learn to post pictures also for you would get a charge out of some to the interesting shields that I have and have pictures of. Thanks Again Nick

wartimecollectables.com

National Association of Mexican War Veteran's 2/3 rds size variant. The membership medal for the Mexican War Veteran's Association in the smaller size, similar to the Dames shield but with the members top bar not the Auxillary bar. Clean and undamaged shield drop with #199 on reverse base and Walter Limerick hallmarked.mexshield2.jpgmexshield3.jpg

wartimecollectables.com

My favorite Mexican War Veteran's photo. From Jack Myer's EXCELLENT book on the South Carolina Palmetto Regiment.

post-93-0-28997200-1367272750.jpg

post-93-0-60405200-1367272763.jpg

themedalluminary

Hello Andrew, I am sending you an envelope tommorrow Tuesday with what I have been doing. Thanks for the Cantwell picture. I do have that book. I have to look at again to see if any of the soldiers are wearing a large Shield. I have to contact Jack the author also if he has any Palmetto Regiment marked shields. Thanks alot and we will be in touch. Regards Nick

• 1 year later...

Nick

Just picked up a medal. Has a hole in the center at the top of the shield so it possibly was originally suspended like the one in the photo above. Medal is engraved on the back as follows: Peter Gallagher, Co. G., 1st Tex. Cav., "Widow". I do not know if the medal was issued to his "widow" or "Widow" was his nickname. I have been unable to locate any info on him or the 1st Texas Cavalry in the MAW.

• 4 months later...
themedalluminary

Hello Cryto man, Thanks for writing about your "widow" medal to me!! There are other widow Large shield Mexican War Veteran medals known - they are rare though to see. One in particular that is known is a Large silver one to an officer that was killed in the War this medal is an enigma to major collectors- it was not provisioned for a ribbon and top bar. Is yours complete with Top bar and ribbon? Does it have a provision on back of medal with a bar to attach a ribbon. Let me know! There is a book on all Texas Mexican War Veterans that was published in the 1970s or 1980s. It talks about all the different units- believe me there was a 1st Texas Cav!! They fought the entire war- or part of the war for like a year term. Texas had alot of Cavalry and Mounted units in the Mexican War some small units and other large like a regiment. Look on ebay or amazon for Texas veterans of the Mexican War it should be like 20.00 probably. I do have a copy of it somewhere in the house and even read it perhaps 2 year ago cover to cover it seems! If I find the book I will write you the title and author. I got mine off ebay though. Regards Nick

• 1 year later...
  • 4 years later...
4 hours ago, wartimecollectables.com said:

An unnamed shield and shows it's age but can't get much earlier than badge 00001!

MexWarOne (2).jpg

MexWarOne (3).jpg

MexWarOne (4).jpg

MexWarOne (5).jpg

Fantastic and certainly not a medal number you see every day!  Who knows, maybe this one belonged to Zachary Taylor himself.