Savage made 303 Enfield marked Property of US

caseloadr

My friend who has a gun shop had a Enfield 303 come in the other day. I was expecting a standard Enfield but found it was made by Savage Arms and was marked Property of US . Does anyone have any knowlegde of these rifles? Trying to get a back round story on this rifle for my friend and myself. I wouldn't posted here execpt for the US marked recevier . Reversed Lend lease maybe. I would have posted picture except didn't have my phone with me.

I own just such a rifle. mine is 1942 made, in great shape. They were lend lease, made in america for the brits early in the war.

Thanks I missed that thread somewhere along the line. Now I can look like a I actaully might know a little .

Thanks I missed that thread somewhere along the line. Now I can look like a I actaully might know a little .

To get really good searches, go to google and type in a special code followed by the keywords you want to search, such as:

site:usmilitariaforum.com us stamped Enfield

You can replace us stamped Enfield with other keywords and google will also search on this forum. The key to searching just the forum is site:usmilitariaforum.com

Most of the ones available in the US in the last 20-25 years came out of South Africa. Apparently a whole lot of them, later production, were sent there, to replace Mk.III SMLEs. They were used in active service only until replaced by the FN FAL around 1960, so they were in nice shape when surplussed off. Very few of these BTW reached BRITISH frontline troops in Europe.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have a 1942 Savage made, No 4 Mk 1 and its marked US Property....I picked up a Savage Bayonet and a Savage breech cover too...they are fairly common here in Canada...$500.00 will get you a very nice one.