Olympic Flight Museum

First show of 2015: Saturday, March 14, 2015, Olympic flight museum. 8am for dealers (or early birds with $10 admission). Regular admission $5 at 10am. Ends at 4pm. Display tables are $10, sale tables $25 each.

donation2013.gifdonation2015.gif

Looking for: Washington and Oregon Coast Artillery items

Any items related to the Harbor Defenses of the Columbia River and the Harbor Defenses of Puget Sound, 1860s-WWII. This includes items from Fort Stevens, OR; Ft Canby, WA; Ft Columbia, WA; Ft Worden, WA; Ft Casey, WA; Ft Flagler, WA; Ft Ward, WA; Ft Whitman, WA; Camp Hayden, WA; and the following units that served at these forts:
Columbia River: 33rd, 34th, 93rd, and 160th Companies, CAC; and 18th and 249th Coast Artillery regiments
Puget Sound: 26th, 30th, 62nd, 63rd, 71st, 85th, 92nd, 94th, 106th, 108th, 126th, 149th, and 150th Companies, CAC; and 14th and 248th Coast Artillery regiments

Coast Defense Study Group member & site representative for the Columbia River forts

ASMIC member

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

One more week everyone. Be sure to stop by if you can and if you're in the area.

Any items related to the Harbor Defenses of the Columbia River and the Harbor Defenses of Puget Sound, 1860s-WWII. This includes items from Fort Stevens, OR; Ft Canby, WA; Ft Columbia, WA; Ft Worden, WA; Ft Casey, WA; Ft Flagler, WA; Ft Ward, WA; Ft Whitman, WA; Camp Hayden, WA; and the following units that served at these forts:
Columbia River: 33rd, 34th, 93rd, and 160th Companies, CAC; and 18th and 249th Coast Artillery regiments
Puget Sound: 26th, 30th, 62nd, 63rd, 71st, 85th, 92nd, 94th, 106th, 108th, 126th, 149th, and 150th Companies, CAC; and 14th and 248th Coast Artillery regiments

Coast Defense Study Group member & site representative for the Columbia River forts

ASMIC member

I am looking forward to this show too, I have been to one other, last October. It is worth stopping by and taking a look around.

- Looking For USMC "Rim Numbered" GCM 26922 & USMC Yangtze Service Medal MNo1086 - - Looking for Attributed - US Campaign Medal Groups - Army or USMC WW 1 Silver Star & Purple Heart Medal Groups and WW 1 Groups with Mexican Campaign Medal or Mexican Border Service Medal

donation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

It's a small show, but I've found some really good deals at just about every one of these I've ever been to. It's more of a show for collectors looking to get rid of excess stuff than a bunch of 'hard core no batering dealer type' people with sales tables...

Lee Bishop Formerly known as "Ratchet 5" with the 2nd Infantry Division (yes, in REAL life)

US WW2 War Correspondent collector

Found some good stuff at the show yesterday, had a good time.

ASMIC member

I sold enough to pay for the sales table and get a couple of small things with some extra coin left over, so it was a good day. The weather was rainy and windy, so it was a good day to be indoors haggling over military stuff.

I managed to find an original WW2 wool shirt that fits me very well, that was worth the trip by itself. I needed exactly this type of shirt for my war correspondent ‘field’ impression. I also found a really nice condition small .30-06 ammo crate.

Lee Bishop Formerly known as "Ratchet 5" with the 2nd Infantry Division (yes, in REAL life)

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Spring militaria show at OFM this coming Saturday, March 19, 2016. 10am - 4pm.
http://www.olympicflightmuseum.com/events.php

ASMIC member

• 8 months later...

Fall Militaria show tomorrow, November 19th at OFM. 10am to 4pm.

http://www.olympicflightmuseum.com/events.php

ASMIC member

Well, I didn't even pay for the table. That's never happened to me at one of these OFM shows before. I heard plenty of others (and some of the museum volunteers) saying I was hardly the only one who had this problem.

Never seen so many 'tire kicker' types that weren't buying, in all the shows I've ever been to.

Well, I didn't even pay for the table. That's never happened to me at one of these OFM shows before. I heard plenty of others (and some of the museum volunteers) saying I was hardly the only one who had this problem.

Never seen so many 'tire kicker' types that weren't buying, in all the shows I've ever been to.

It seems to be the trend right now. The militaria market seems to be depressed even though the stock market isn't. Even in the For Sale section in the forum its hard to sell things right now unless they are priced below market or extremely rare with high demand.

Kurt

!!!! WANTED !!!!

WWII Prisoner of War items : Medals, Mail, Diaries, Photos, Documents, Scrapbooks + More

WWII Naval Aviation Groupings : Medals, Documents, Scrapbooks, Photos, Flight Logs, Flight Jackets + More

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

It seems to be the trend right now. The militaria market seems to be depressed even though the stock market isn't. Even in the For Sale section in the forum its hard to sell things right now unless they are priced below market or extremely rare with high demand.

That doesn't explain why I've done well at all the other shows they've had there, well into the recession, too.

Generally, there were hardly any families or younger people showing up for this most recent show and a lot fewer people actually buying much of anything.

Kurt

Like everything, it is cyclical. What influences people? Consider the influences - Hollywood, historical anniversaries, commemoration, etc. that have direct correlation to inspiring collectors (both new and long-standing) to action. I have experienced my own issues (family losses, family issues, career intensifying) that pulled me away from the level of activity that I previously enjoyed in militaria. Now, I am very selective and paying attention to pieces that will fill holes and gaps for what I want to achieve.

Give it time, it will bounce back.

I do not profess to be a militaria expert, but I conduct as much research as I am capable of and then write about my findings.
Check out my blogs, The Veteran's Collection (general militaria) and Chevrons and Diamonds (military baseball)

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif

What I have noticed is that common items are taking the biggest hit. Look at the price drop in "fixed bail" M-1 Helmets, and A-2 Jackets without "art and patches". Painted A-2 Jackets still do well and seem to be increasing in price.

Rare items always do well. A Posthumous VB-10 Navy Cross group sold last weekend in auction for $7400 which I felt was a strong price for that group. I did not think it would hit 10K.

Kurt

!!!! WANTED !!!!

WWII Prisoner of War items : Medals, Mail, Diaries, Photos, Documents, Scrapbooks + More

WWII Naval Aviation Groupings : Medals, Documents, Scrapbooks, Photos, Flight Logs, Flight Jackets + More

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

• 3 months later...

Next show is one week away, Saturday March 18.
8am early bird ($10 admission) 10am regular admission ($5). Show ends at 4pm.

ASMIC member