Olympic Flight Museum

m60a1d66

First show of 2015: Saturday, March 14, 2015, Olympic flight museum. 8am for dealers (or early birds with $10 admission). Regular admission $5 at 10am. Ends at 4pm. Display tables are $10, sale tables $25 each.

Just reserved a sale table. I talked with Terri, she said the regualr vendors for their shows should get an email on the upcoming show this week.

• 3 weeks later...
Bill_Carman

I am looking forward to this show too, I have been to one other, last October. It is worth stopping by and taking a look around.

It's a small show, but I've found some really good deals at just about every one of these I've ever been to. It's more of a show for collectors looking to get rid of excess stuff than a bunch of 'hard core no batering dealer type' people with sales tables...

I sold enough to pay for the sales table and get a couple of small things with some extra coin left over, so it was a good day. The weather was rainy and windy, so it was a good day to be indoors haggling over military stuff.

I managed to find an original WW2 wool shirt that fits me very well, that was worth the trip by itself. I needed exactly this type of shirt for my war correspondent ‘field’ impression. I also found a really nice condition small .30-06 ammo crate.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

The Fall show/sale will be at the museum on November 14th...

I'll have a sales table there this time as well.

lee, i'll look for you. i'll be there tomorrow morning.

• 4 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Still at the show right now.

VERY slow, haven't sold hardly anything. Many other sellers complaining of awful sales, too.

I won't even cover the table fee if this doesn't pick up soon.

Well, I didn't even pay for the table. That's never happened to me at one of these OFM shows before. I heard plenty of others (and some of the museum volunteers) saying I was hardly the only one who had this problem.

Never seen so many 'tire kicker' types that weren't buying, in all the shows I've ever been to.

Well, I didn't even pay for the table. That's never happened to me at one of these OFM shows before. I heard plenty of others (and some of the museum volunteers) saying I was hardly the only one who had this problem.

Never seen so many 'tire kicker' types that weren't buying, in all the shows I've ever been to.

It seems to be the trend right now. The militaria market seems to be depressed even though the stock market isn't. Even in the For Sale section in the forum its hard to sell things right now unless they are priced below market or extremely rare with high demand.

Kurt

It seems to be the trend right now. The militaria market seems to be depressed even though the stock market isn't. Even in the For Sale section in the forum its hard to sell things right now unless they are priced below market or extremely rare with high demand.

That doesn't explain why I've done well at all the other shows they've had there, well into the recession, too.

Generally, there were hardly any families or younger people showing up for this most recent show and a lot fewer people actually buying much of anything.

Kurt

Like everything, it is cyclical. What influences people? Consider the influences - Hollywood, historical anniversaries, commemoration, etc. that have direct correlation to inspiring collectors (both new and long-standing) to action. I have experienced my own issues (family losses, family issues, career intensifying) that pulled me away from the level of activity that I previously enjoyed in militaria. Now, I am very selective and paying attention to pieces that will fill holes and gaps for what I want to achieve.

Give it time, it will bounce back.

What I have noticed is that common items are taking the biggest hit. Look at the price drop in "fixed bail" M-1 Helmets, and A-2 Jackets without "art and patches". Painted A-2 Jackets still do well and seem to be increasing in price.

Rare items always do well. A Posthumous VB-10 Navy Cross group sold last weekend in auction for $7400 which I felt was a strong price for that group. I did not think it would hit 10K.

Kurt

• 3 months later...
agate hunter

Next show is one week away, Saturday March 18.
8am early bird ($10 admission) 10am regular admission ($5). Show ends at 4pm.