County or City: Jefferson

Enlistment Date: 14 Aug 1943

Enlistment State: Texas

Enlistment City: Houston

Branch: No branch assignment

Branch Code: No branch assignment

Grade: Private

Grade Code: Private

Term of Enlistment: Enlistment for the duration of the War or other emergency, plus six months, subject to the discretion of the President or otherwise according to law

Component: Selectees (Enlisted Men)

Source: Civil Life

Education: 4 years of high school

Civil Occupation: Divers Helper

Marital Status: Married

Height: 00

Weight: 000

Thanks Ski!!!! That was quick! thumbsup.gif

brandon_rss18

Well, I went to the Gun Show here in Houston and here is what I got:

My M43

post-2378-1211075639.jpg

My Mae West, dated 1943, with the rescue dye still intact!

post-2378-1211075703.jpg post-2378-1211075715.jpg post-2378-1211075731.jpg

My Marine Corp overcoat dated 41-42

post-2378-1211075832.jpg post-2378-1211075846.jpg

My Air Corps flight suit, dont know what type if yall could help me

post-2378-1211075917.jpg

Various items, LOVE the Stars and Stripes

post-2378-1211075977.jpg

316th FS 324th FG

Brandon

Nice finds!

The flight suit looks like the AN-6550, or AN-S-31, which came in khaki or OD, and all the pockets had button closures. Is there a tag?

How were the prices?

D

brandon_rss18

Thanks for the comment D, the flight suit I paid 30 and the Mae west was 40. The marine coat was 20 and the M43 was ony 25. The flight suit has what used to be a tag but it is gone. The prices were very fair this year. Thanks again for the comment and the info.

IMPERIAL QUEST

I REALLY like the Stars and Stripes paper. BTW, was the lady there that we talked about with all of the printed material?

brandon_rss18
Im liking your fixed bail!!.............mike

Thanks a lot Mike, Im glad I finally found me a WW2 helmet, I can finally replace my Korean era one.

brandon_rss18
I REALLY like the Stars and Stripes paper. BTW, was the lady there that we talked about with all of the printed material?

Thanks Steven, actually she was, that is where I found the Stars and Stripes!! thumbsup.gif Thanks again for the tip, I owe ya one.

IMPERIAL QUEST
Thanks Steven, actually she was, that is where I found the Stars and Stripes!! thumbsup.gif Thanks again for the tip, I owe ya one.

I was hoping you would say that. Glad the lead paid off. ;)

Indeed it was also the first thing I saw...

And it looks like it was white sometime?

Nice finds!

Regards

brandon_rss18

Yeah, I did notice that, does anyone have any idea what kind of white stripe would have gone all the way around it?

brandon_rss18

hmmm thats interesting, what use would it have in the Navy being the OD color? Who would use it? Im just asking because Navy items are not my main interest and I dont know much about them. I know that a Corpsman would wear one but who else out of curiosity? Thank you for the input.

brandon_rss18

I looked inside the helmet shell and there are 2 seperate groups of numbers. The first on is in the front indicating that it is a McCord and the numbers are 196C and along the side there is a stamping of what looks like 8769L. Dont know if that tells yall anything but any info would be appreciated.

My Mae West, dated 1943, with the rescue dye still intact!

post-2378-1211075703.jpg post-2378-1211075715.jpg post-2378-1211075731.jpg

Great!!! A many time I lloking for a Mae West to complet my B17 crew display!!

Best regards,

Ricardo.

brandon_rss18

Thank you Ricardo, if you still need one the guy I bought mine from had 2 more and wants $40 for them each, but they are dated 1945. I will see if he still has them if you want me too.

Thank you Ricardo, if you still need one the guy I bought mine from had 2 more and wants $40 for them each, but they are dated 1945. I will see if he still has them if you want me too.

THANK YOU SO MUCH my Friend!!! thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifw00t.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

My best,

Ricardo.

brandon_rss18

No problem Ricardo! thumbsup.gif Anyone else have an idea about the stripe on the helmet? I have seen some MP helmets with the stripe on them, but usually they hade MP painted on them also.

'Flage Guy

$25.00 for a '43??? That's a surplus store price!! Good work! It seems to me I've seen striped pots in photos- have to go back and look.

Glad to hear the Houston Show is still going...I lived in Houston from '77 to '98, and used to set up at the Astrohall selling U.S. W.W.II stuff. If you see my old pals Al Thibodeaux, Robert Nabors, Jake Glickman or Carlos Manning, give them my best!

Congrats and God bless- Jim Robertson

brandon_rss18

Concerning my first pic in the post, I am starting to get the feeling this is not an M43. It has buttons on the inside and a coat hook tab just below the collar on the inside of the coat. Any help would be appreciated guys. The tag is not in the coat pocket anymore but you can see where one used to be.

Not trying to rain on your parade here, just offering a suggestion that I wish I had heeded when I was collecting everything under the sun.

Certainly buy what you like, but I can see that you have paid good money for a hodge podge of unrelated items.

If your goal is to have a really awesome collection, choose one thing you like, and go for the best examples you can find. Leave everything else alone. ( unless it's so cheap you can sell or trade it for something you collect )

If you collect aviation, then the flight suit and the mae west are good choices. If you collect helmets, then the fixed bail is a good choice. If you collect everything under the sun, it will be hard to afford to put together a really awesome collection.

Specialization is the key.

Just my two cents.

Have fun, whatever you collect!

brandon_rss18
Not trying to rain on your parade here, just offering a suggestion that I wish I had heeded when I was collecting everything under the sun.

Certainly buy what you like, but I can see that you have paid good money for a hodge podge of unrelated items.

If your goal is to have a really awesome collection, choose one thing you like, and go for the best examples you can find. Leave everything else alone. ( unless it's so cheap you can sell or trade it for something you collect )

If you collect aviation, then the flight suit and the mae west are good choices. If you collect helmets, then the fixed bail is a good choice. If you collect everything under the sun, it will be hard to afford to put together a really awesome collection.

Specialization is the key.

Just my two cents.

Have fun, whatever you collect!

Oh I know i was probably going to trade the coat for something air corps related. Like you said it was just really cheap!! ;) And I always wanted just 1 WW2 M1 helmet.