A couple other Iraqi SPOILS

mcmike

Nothing terribly interesting here, like Saddam's underwear, just a few bring-back from some vets.

First, a Desert Storm era black beret with the pre-'91 brass eagle. The eagle lost his head somehow, but there is no mark on the beret at that location. According to the Vet Ken K.: "It all come from my footlocker that has been the closet for 20 years. it was found on a airfield in Iraq after it was bombed a few days earlier. the person who found in was in the 36th eng gp from Ft. Benning”. During the 1991 Gulf War, the 36th Engineer Group (Construction) fought in support of the 24th Infantry Division’s rapid attack to the Euphrates (wiki).

post-8025-0-03209000-1366838327.gif

The beret: These are usually identified as Republican Guard, infantry, or whatever. Evidently several branches wore them, but on eBay they are ALWAYS Rep Guard!

Inside:

post-8025-0-19640100-1366838766.jpg

Close-up on the gasmask filter housing. Three Arabic characters, the first character is a bit distorted but I think it is a 2. The next two, left to right are 7 and 9. Arabic writing is read right to left, so I figured the numbers were, too. But, a guy on the Iraqi Militaria Forum told me numbers are read left to right, so the number is probably 279. I guess.

post-8025-0-99532600-1366839284.jpg

I obtained an OIF Iraqi bayonet from another Vet, who did not feel comfortable with sharing his name. Here is what he had to say: "I was with an Army ordnance unit during Operation Iraqi Freedom, 2003-2004. I was with the 163rd Ordnance Company, which belongs to the 63rd Regional Support Command. But we were attached to the 377th Support Command during our deployment. I spent part of my deployment stationed in Camp Arifjan, Kuwait. We came across Iraqi bayonets, ammunition, and other assorted items that were brought back to the base for disposal. I brought this one home with me as a souvenir. I do not know the details of how it came to be there."

post-8025-0-57915100-1366840073.jpg

The bayonet had no mfg markings whatsoever, just an "H" scratched into the plastic handle. The sheath had a number on it.

post-8025-0-82856000-1366840203.jpg

Finally, an Iraqi Airborn beret, about which the Vet says: "The beret I got in Basra in 2003 during the first push. At the time I was 3rd bn 1st Mar Div." Not much of a talker, but I understand.

post-8025-0-82837300-1366840951.jpg

I have a couple more Iraqi helmets with Vet stories that I will post on another thread in a few days. I promise that those stories will be more interesting.