"Thank God for Michigan"

Pete-o MSU

Here is my backdrop for the pics. A MI flag dated 1969 and signed by some 101st Vietnam veterans.

Thanks for the comments

Pete

post-236-0-80730700-1366854909.jpg

• 3 months later...

Well fiancé is gone to a party so I have time to take photos and work in my man cave.

Conflict WWII

Hometown: Detroit, MI

12th armored division, 56th armored infantry

post-236-0-63470800-1375019593.jpg

Conflict WWII

Hometown East Lake, MI

"He attended Officers Candidate School at Fort Sill, Oklahoma, receiving his commission as a second lieutenant there. He was recently promoted to a first lieutenant after participating in three major battles in the European theatre of war. Stanley was wounded several times in action: On October 14, 1944 in the Hurtzen Forest area and again in December during the Nazi break-through, on the Western front.

Lt. R was awarded the Silver Star, Bronze Star, and First Oak Leaf Cluster to the Purple Heart. "It was for his gallant action while on duty at a forward observation post in the vicinity of Eisenborn, Belgium, Dec. 28, 1944, that Lt. R was awarded the Silver Star, posthumously."

The Lieutenant learned that the artillery liaison officer at the battalion command post was killed under an intense enemy artillery barrage. With complete disregard for personal safety, he immediately exposed himself to the heavy enemy fire to travel two miles over the open terrain to the command post. Assuming the duties of liaison officer, he remained at his post despite the fact that enemy artillery scored several direct hits on his building.

Although wounded by shrapnel when he left the shelter of the building to go to his radio, he continued to direct effective and accurate artillery fire on the enemy forces until a strong enemy counter-attack had been repulsed."

post-236-0-00410000-1375019709.jpg

Conflict WWII

Seaman 2c US Navy

Hometown Trenary, MI

Last seen aboard a life raft in the Arctic Circle

Ship SS William Clark torpedoed by German Submarine

post-236-0-69619300-1375020216.jpg

Conflict WWII

Ball Gunner on B24 Reluctant Betty

15AAF

hometown Detroit, MI

According to testimony of other members of the crew Lt Riley the Bombardier was not wounded when the plane was attacked by me-109s he was last seen placing his parachute on Grzesik who was badly wounded it was the last time either were seen. Lt Riley was awarded the silver star.

post-236-0-34166900-1375021075.jpg

BigDogMilitaria

WOW! That is great Pete! Outstanding collection, and I love your displays. That WWI uniform setup is a beauty.

• 1 month later...