Confederate Image, Lynchburg, Virginia!

Patriot

Here is a nice seated view of a Confederate soldier from Lynchburg, Virginia! He wears a Richmond Depot shell jacket, which has been tailor-modified. Cuff buttons were added, as well as a slant breast pocket. The vest appears to match in color, but has wooden buttons down the front. His forage cap appears to be Confederate made as well, with an oversized crown - something common among Confederate forage caps (most notably is that worn by Stonewall Jackson).

The uniform is midwar, and considering how new everything looks - I would not be surprised if this was taken just before the Gettysburg Campaign. The Army of Northern Virginia was completely refitted with new uniforms and footwear just before the invasion. My guess is that this was taken early in 1863.

post-2801-0-28468800-1366827967.jpg

post-2801-0-95127300-1366827988.jpg

post-2801-0-81398500-1366828006.jpg

post-2801-0-37036300-1366828020.jpg

He looks to be wearing lieutenant's insignia on his collar. If he's an officer, it might explain some of the custom and non-reg features of his uniform. Great pic!

The condition and clarity of this photo are great! Thanks for describing the nuances of the uniform also, this is not my area of expertise, but I enjoy learning.

Thanks for the comments everyone. The more I look at this, I am beginning to think that he is indeed an officer. I did not notice it before, but you can see the rank insignia on the collar of a 2nd Lt. What a surprise!

You can just picture him with a Boyle & Gamble foot officer's sword, leading his Virginians into battle. Only if I knew what regiment he was with!