1941 Dated Canteen - Just didn't bid enough, Wow!

USMC-RECON0321

USMC-RECON0321

Are 1941 made cups rare as well?

No, they are pretty easy to find, same as the 1941 covers. The 41 dated canteen is the gem! Many times people claim they have a 1941 canteen when it's actually a 1941 dated cover or cup and not the canteen.

Troy

• 3 weeks later...
USMC-RECON0321

I recently won a 1941 canteen for $35

I will post pics once I get it. It's shipping out today.

Justin,

I'm thinking it wasn't what he was thinking, maybe ended up being a 41 dated cup or cover. I'm sure he would've shown it by now if an actual 1941 dated canteen for $35 like he thought. But I could be wrong, we'll see. That would be a killer deal if so!!

Troy

• 9 months later...

Well, I gave it my best shot for a chance at a 1941 dated canteen listed on ebay,,, And as usual came in as the #2 bidder!!! I would've thought a bid of over $350 would've been enough?? I bet the seller could not believe his eyes, I don't think he had a clue about how rare of canteen he had.

Anyway, So my search continues!!

attachicon.gif$(KGrHqNHJC0FFKD+kJ8WBRbC9TkFQg~~60_57.JPG

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WWII-Web-Belt-Canteen-w-Cover-dated-1941-World-War-II-/251261175337?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&nma=true&si=JnLwLrxvbK5J9xyRQZBiRRCysDc%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Troy

I'm sorry to say, that canteen in the beggining of the forum is not a 1941 for 2 reasons. Note it is a fainted 4 as the last digit, likely it didn't press hard enough onto the canteen and also, AGM did not make canteens during that year. Somebody paid too much for a common canteen.

Aluminum Goods Manufacturing Company had a contract 431QM58L for canteens in the amount of $55,000 initiated in August 1941 and delivered in December of 1941. The "L" in the contract is for a Lend Lease hence the reason why these are hard to find. So ultimately one could argue this was not a US Military issued piece of equipment.

They had a contract (4312QM06232) for $193k starting in Jan of 1942 which delivered in March of 1942

You may have better info than me, I got this info from US Army Data Depot website and it shows only 3 companies that made canteens in 1941. AGM was not one of them. In any case, the canteen that started this discussion is a 1944 if one looks closely. You can see a faint triangle before the "1".

If the last digit was a 4, it would be riding up on the the other 4. If you print out the photo and measure between the 1 and the center of the 9 you will see that it is the same distance as the center of the 4 to the 1 in question.

Without seeing the whole canteen, what might help is to identify the type of cap it has. A '41 would most probably have a metal/aluminum cap with a bar attached chain. A '44 dated would most probably have a black plastic cap, maybe with a wire ring attached chain.

CG

If the last digit was a 4, it would be riding up on the the other 4. If you print out the photo and measure between the 1 and the center of the 9 you will see that it is the same distance as the center of the 4 to the 1 in question.

Jprostak has nailed it....it most definetly is a 1941 dated canteen.

Ronnie

• 2 weeks later...

Caps are interchangeable. Notice how far the 1 is from the 4. Look closely at the 1 and you can clearly see the horizontal tic for the 4. The triangle portion of the 4 did not get pressed hard enough on the metal. I have a few 1943 models like this as well as a 1942 canteen cup.

With a little photoshop help (I am a patch guy but saw this thread) I copied the left 4 and put it over where the vertical line was for the "1" and this is what a 4 would have looked like if it was a 1944.

post-122868-0-15841100-1446679208.jpg

USMC-RECON0321

I remember it and it did have a metal cap as you would expect. But true, those aren't hard to change out. To me, looking at the stamping, I believe it is no doubt a 1941 date stamped canteen. As another member pointed out above, if the last digit was a "4" it would overlap on the other number "4". Not to mention, your theory of, "it didn't stamp hard enough", I don't agree with. If it was actually a light stamp as you say, it wouldn't have such a distinct deep stamp line making the impression of a "1" and no other part of the "4". I think what you are seeing is just a scratch that appears to be part of a 4 and its really zoomed in on. All the other evidence can't be denied as it being a "1".

I don't have a dog in this fight, I didn't win it anyway.

Troy

USMC-RECON0321

With a little photoshop help (I am a patch guy but saw this thread) I copied the left 4 and put it over where the vertical line was for the "1" and this is what a 4 would have looked like if it was a 1944.

attachicon.gifpost-344-0-49457100-1445842394.jpg

OCS,

You beat me to it. Nice job, that is exactly what I was trying to say. It wouldn't work as a "4"

Thanks

Troy

USMC-RECON0321

Also, if you look at the first "1" it looks like it could also be a "4", and I'm sure this canteen wasn't dated "4944"??

post-33000-0-99195800-1446679430.jpg