1941 Dated Canteen - Just didn't bid enough, Wow!

USMC-RECON0321

USMC-RECON0321

Well, I gave it my best shot for a chance at a 1941 dated canteen listed on ebay,,, And as usual came in as the #2 bidder!!! I would've thought a bid of over $350 would've been enough?? I bet the seller could not believe his eyes, I don't think he had a clue about how rare of canteen he had.

Anyway, So my search continues!!

post-33000-0-95024000-1366689357.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WWII-Web-Belt-Canteen-w-Cover-dated-1941-World-War-II-/251261175337?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&nma=true&si=JnLwLrxvbK5J9xyRQZBiRRCysDc%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Troy

USMC-RECON0321

Didn't see that, thanks for the link.

This is the 2nd 1941 dated canteen I've seen listed on ebay in the last 4 months! The other one was a buy it now for $75 on December 26th, 2012, (I started a thread on that one also). It was sold before I found it!!

Troy

Catfishcraig

I started the other thread and I'll add a 1941 canteen to my "look out for" list. Troy, If I find one you'll be the first person I'll contact and I'll give you a much better deal.

Thanks guys for the info

Craig

USMC-RECON0321

I started the other thread and I'll add a 1941 canteen to my "look out for" list. Troy, If I find one you'll be the first person I'll contact and I'll give you a much better deal.

Thanks guys for the info

Craig

Craig,

That would be great!!

Thanks

Troy

I'm the sorry guy who outbid you. I received the canteen today and I'm really pleased. This is the only 1941 I've actually seen in person in 30 years of collecting. I haven't seen any of the others that have been mentioned in this thread. I will also keep my eyes open and try to give you a heads up if I see another. I sincerely hope you find one a lot cheaper than I paid, but for as long as I have been searching I really intended to own this one. The lady who sold it said she was shocked when the price reached $100. She thought the prize was either the belt or cover. I'd be glad to correspond with you if you so desire. [email protected]

USMC-RECON0321

Well, I'm glad if I had to loose out to someone that it turned out to be another forum member. I figured as much though at those prices, we had a good "bid battle" I would say!!

Yes, please keep me in mind if you find another. I've also been looking for many years and this is only the 3rd I've ever seen.

Thanks

Troy

USMC-RECON0321

I recently found a 1941 dated canteen cup. Are these as hard to find as the canteens?

41 dated canteen cups and covers are nice to find and you will pay a little more for them, but plenty are out there and not hard to find, I have several. It's the 41 dated canteen that is the rare find.

Troy

USMC-RECON0321

Thanks Troy - it sounds odd that the 1941 canteen to cup ratio is so lopsided. You would think that they would be relatively even.

I agree. I would like to know the contract numbers and dates for each in 1941??

• 4 weeks later...

41 dated canteen cups and covers are nice to find and you will pay a little more for them, but plenty are out there and not hard to find, I have several. It's the 41 dated canteen that is the rare find.

Troy

Today, I picked up a 1941 dated rolled edge cup made by M.A. Co. It was nested with a 1942 dated flat top cap side seam canteen made by T.A.C.U Co. Would this combination been typical for early war issue? There was no carrier. Thanks, Al.

AGM was awarded a canteen contract in August of 1941 and delivered on it in December of 1941. Contract was for $55,000. Would equate to approximately 80 to 85,000 canteens. Hope this helps with scarcity.

USMC-RECON0321

AGM was awarded a canteen contract in August of 1941 and delivered on it in December of 1941. Contract was for $55,000. Would equate to approximately 80 to 85,000 canteens. Hope this helps with scarcity.

Alec,

Is that the number of 41 dated canteens they made? And do you know if all were stamped with the 1941 date? I've heard some were not date stamped, but obviously we are all looking for the 41 date stamp.

Thanks

Troy

They only had one contract in 1941 that was more than 50k. What I have as a reference only lists contracts higher than 50k. I feel pretty confident this is a decent number to go by in regards to production for AGM 41 dated canteens. No idea if all were dated but that was supposed to be the standard.

A newbe here, I just joined two nights ago, not much of an official collector but have odds and ends of GI stuff. My interest at present is a decent bayonet/scabbard for my NRA Underwood carbine obtained back in '62. (yeah, I'm old.) In checking out various topics I find this one. By golly, in my bag of belts and canteens is one with the aluminum cap and as I recall it was dated 1941. I'll check it out. If it is such, and I decide to sell, I've give you folks a heads up before it goes to market.

I am literally amazed to no end about the depth of knowledge and professionalism I find on this site. Both go hand in hand with the wisdom of the members I suspect.

USMC-RECON0321

A newbe here, I just joined two nights ago, not much of an official collector but have odds and ends of GI stuff. My interest at present is a decent bayonet/scabbard for my NRA Underwood carbine obtained back in '62. (yeah, I'm old.) In checking out various topics I find this one. By golly, in my bag of belts and canteens is one with the aluminum cap and as I recall it was dated 1941. I'll check it out. If it is such, and I decide to sell, I've give you folks a heads up before it goes to market.

I am literally amazed to no end about the depth of knowledge and professionalism I find on this site. Both go hand in hand with the wisdom of the members I suspect.

That would be great and yes, I would be interested!!

Thanks

Troy

Gents--

Yesterday I claimed that I had one of the famed, aluminum-closured canteens. I misspoke in haste. After desperately searching my stuff and not finding it, I called my brother a 1000 miles away. He is a world-class collector of everything and seller of nothing. His memory is sharp versus mine. He said that I had given him the canteen back in 1978 and he "...had it around somewhere."

I'm quite sure the item will see the light of day in a few years, but not in a mere estate sale, it will be one hell of a big auction of military gear.

'Sorry if I got anybody's hopes up. (Mine were higher!)

HH

• 1 year later...

Hi there. I myself have been searching for a 1951 stamped canteen but to no avail. Is this also rare? I have a canteen cup and carrier case with a 1951 marking. I have seen a ton of 1953's and I have a 1952 but the 1951 seems to be a hard one to locate. I'm also looking for a 1953 canteen cover.

USMC-RECON0321

I recently won a 1941 canteen for $35

Could you post pictures of it showing the date and manufacture? If you did, that was a excellent find!! Congrats.

Troy

Screamingeagles101

Could you post pictures of it showing the date and manufacture? If you did, that was a excellent find!! Congrats.

Troy

I will post pics once I get it. It's shipping out today.

USMC-RECON0321

Wow, just seen a 1941 dated canteen sold in October on eBay for $565.00. The price just keeps climbing on these! Glad I got one when I did from a fellow local canteen collector and not in a bidding war on eBay.

I understand they are very rare, but I think I would have a hard time spending nearly $600 for one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-1941-DATED-CANTEEN-SET-INCLUDES-CUP-AND-COVER-EXCELLENT-/291254911676?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43d02542bc&nma=true&si=hVzjlhTxqolJFh14X3fFPpsUC7U%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557