WW1 Uniform of Navy Captain Frank Schofield

I was looking through some old photos and just re-discovered these. I thought some folks might like to see one of the more rare high ranking WW1 uniforms. This belonged to Franklin H. Schofield (namesake of USS SCHOFIELD) who later retired as an Admiral (and did a lot of other cool stuff along the way). His uniforms came "out of the woodwork" back in the early 90s (or late 80s?), as did his medals, some of which ended up with fellow forum members. Someone started a museum to honor him, and eventually bought this uniform from me (for a princely sum at the time!) I don't know where it is now or if the museum still exists, but it was a really killer uniform. Not perfect, but really tough to find!

Enjoy!

Dave

SCHOFIELD1.jpg

Brian Dentino

Dave, this is an absolutely beautiful uniform.....that bullion work is really nice. Another great uniform that came and went huh??? Thanks for sharing it here with us.....it is very nice.

Wow. Officers uniforms don't usually capture my attention but this one has a great look. I would have never let it go if I had found it.

Wow. Officers uniforms don't usually capture my attention but this one has a great look. I would have never let it go if I had found it.

I am with you on officers' uniforms...unless they are from names that I know. This, besides being beautifully appointed with bullion devices, has such a notable name. What gets me is that Dave has (or had) some of the most recognizable U.S. Navy names in his collection.

fhschofield-photo-01.jpg

I am betting that Dave vacillated about letting this piece exit his collection before he pulled the trigger on the deal.

Thanks for the compliments, guys! I had quite a few letters from him as well that spanned from WW1 through the early 30s. The museum, however, had BOXES of letters from him...I felt it only fitting that it stay together. I know of another uniform like mine as well as a later double breasted RADM uniform that are around somewhere, and if you look on wartimecollectables.com home page, his medals passed through Andrew's hands years ago (as well as several other collectors...gorgeous group!) I know he had a couple "spare" Navy Crosses as well that are out there too. While I owned the uniform, I was in touch with several others who owned pieces of the group, but after selling it in 2005 (or so) I lost track of them all...

wartimeclip.jpg

ReverendJake

Absolutely beautiful, I love these mohair collar dress uniforms, army and navy. Thanks for the picture!