Sign in to follow this  
Sabrejet

CBI camo net question

We all know that the US Army used large quantities of British helmet nets in the ETO...right? On the other side of the world in the CBI the British Army used numbers of theatre-made helmet nets. Remember, back then India was still a British possession and Indian troops were a part of the British Army and were therefore issued the same basic equipment. Some of it was procured locally...including helmet nets. Such nets were of a larger mesh than ETO issue examples and were of a coarser knotted cord. (see pic) So....my question is, did any of these nets find their way into American hands? It's entirely possible...isn't it? What we need is photographic evidence. Any takers?

post-8022-0-23461300-1366619416.jpg

"We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender!"

Winston Churchill

" Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans."

John Winston Lennon

donation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

Stupid question time: what does CBI stand for? is it Commonwealth British India? Colonial British India?

Stupid question time: what does CBI stand for? is it Commonwealth British India? Colonial British India?

China-Burma-India theatre of operations.

"We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender!"

Winston Churchill

John Winston Lennon

donation2010.gif

I've never come across any but I don't see why there can't be an M1 from the Africa campaign floating around with this type of net on it. Seems like even for the brits this type of net was early war.

I was thinking more in terms of Gen. Stilwell's troops from '43 on.

Winston Churchill

John Winston Lennon

donation2010.gif

Not quite what you're looking for, but... I think the Army only had 3 "infantry" units in the CBI: Merrill's Marauders (officially the 5307th Composite Unit [Provisional]), the 124th Cavalry Regiment (sorry Cav guys, I know they're not "infantry"), and the 475th Infantry Regiment. There was also the 1st Tank Group, Provisional (comprising 6 independent tank battalions with both U.S. and Chinese crews), along with a handful of artillery and AAA battalions. There was also the Tenth and Fourteenth Air Force and a few Aviation Engineer Units. Compared to other theaters, there were fewer heads available to be photographed. Of the U.S. troops with M1 helmets in CBI photos, I haven't seen one with a net of any kind. Even the U.S. equipped Chinese troops with steel pots seem to have them largely net-free as shown (here's a cool link http://cbi-theater-1.home.comcast.net/~cbi-theater-1/cai/cai.html).

post-2064-0-58906700-1366665852.jpg

post-2064-0-96316500-1366665867.jpg

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gif

Thanks for that. Yes...I realize that nets weren't as universally used by GIs as in the ETO. I just wondered if some from local sources were at some time. Maybe not?

Winston Churchill

John Winston Lennon

donation2010.gif

Ian,

Ran across a couple of series of photos from that area and while just about every British and Commonwealth soldier had some type of this net on their MkII, the M-1's found were all bare helmets. Burma 1944

post-98601-0-68441400-1366694851.jpg

In another series of about 10-15 photos of Merrill's Marauders operating in 1944 every soldier had a bare helmet...........except this guy. Not sure what kind of net (British, hand tied, Japanese) but it's the only netted M-1 I could find. So would think that even if available, it was not seen used commonly by U.S. forces in the CBI from what I've been able to find so far anyway.

Hope that helps

post-98601-0-91930200-1366695124.jpg

Excellent detective-work Pump! There's a pattern beginning to emerge here. Thanks!

Winston Churchill

John Winston Lennon

donation2010.gif

I found a picture in which an Indian/Ghurka soldier is wearing one... Not what you're looking for but maybe it will help to recognize it better in a period pic. It is this one right?

Cheers

95984.jpg

donation2014.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2018.gif

"The battle belonged that morning to the thin wet line of khaki that dragged itself ashore on the channel coast of France." - General Omar Bradley.

Thanks Ken! ;)

Winston Churchill

John Winston Lennon

donation2010.gif

All of these from the PTO are they not the Japanese type of hand made nets not Brit nets? Most in these pics dont look like they have the right pattern. It does look like there is one on the left in the last pic.

I've had no luck finding a CBI photo with a British style net. The pic Pump 150 found is the only CBI pic so far with a net of any kind. Here's a comparison of the net variations used on Kwajalein. I wonder if the type on the left is of the Canadian? type used in the Aleutians. The style on the right resembles the Japanese nets. Other posters on the forum have indicated they may have come from Japanese stocks captured in the Aleutians.

post-2064-0-15964900-1366773425.jpg

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gif

Thanks for your efforts fellers! ;)

Winston Churchill

John Winston Lennon

donation2010.gif

Ian,

I was watching a documentary on National Geographic today. Partly about the CBI theatre so I thought I'd keep an eye open for you as I remembered this thread. I saw a GI with a netted helmet and decided to photograph it for you. Not sure where the photo was taken but could very well be a CBI theatre pic as the rest of the footage was clearly shot there.

Hope it's the one you're looking for, or that it's at least useful to some extent.

Cheers,

Ken

12882177.jpg

12882182.jpg

donation2014.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2018.gif

"The battle belonged that morning to the thin wet line of khaki that dragged itself ashore on the channel coast of France." - General Omar Bradley.

Thank you Ken! That might well be a large-mesh, locally procured net!

Winston Churchill

John Winston Lennon

donation2010.gif

Many, if not most, of the helmet nets used by the Army's 7th Infantry Division for Operation FLINTLOCK on Kwajalein were woven by local Hawaiian women and given as gifts.

Illegitimi Non Carborundum

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gif

2/124th Cavalry, December,1944

Tan string net,very unusual on a CBI GI but never say Neville

post-2473-0-69144200-1410778475.png

Always looking for WW2 Cavalry,Pack Mule and Constabulary horse platoon stuff.