Taking Ink out of a Patch

Collector .45

Collector .45

I found this 8th AAF patch in a pocket of a uniform I purchased this weekend and I am wondering how I might go about getting the ink and stains out. Any thoughts?

post-104196-0-04057500-1366593600.jpg

I am no patch expert but I was told once to use dish soap to wash WWII patches because there is something in laundry soap that will make the patch glow under a blacklight which of course you don't want to happen.

Devin

Use Woolite and warm water but don't scrub the patch, just soak and agitate it in the solution. Let it dry naturally on a flat surface. With that said, it's unlikely the writing will come out if it's pen, paint or white out.

Since it is on the back side, my first thought would be to leave it as is. Anytime you was a patch, you run the risk of pulling threads or having the patch wrinkle. At this point, I would just consider it part of the past of the item.

As we know, some "misguided" collectors feel the need to mark their patches directly...I have several in my own collection which I've acquired over the years. I once decided to rinse one out but it ended up rather worse than before because the blue ink bled causing a bigger stain! Fortunately, it didn't show through at the front. If a collector needs to ID his patches then a small adhesive label or low-tack masking tape are much more sensible options (though even they can leave a sticky residue) Re your patch...I agree with the previous comments...leave it as it is. If it's going into a folder or an album nobody's going to see the back anyway.

I have seen worse with DUI. Bought a whole collection of couple thousand, thought they were clutchback mounted. Turned out to all be pinback and screwback that were clipped and glued.

Since it is on the back side, my first thought would be to leave it as is. Anytime you was a patch, you run the risk of pulling threads or having the patch wrinkle. At this point, I would just consider it part of the past of the item.

I have washed several patches in the manner I described without any adverse effects. However, the improvement was only minimal. I would probably leave it alone as well.