• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Jump Boots

Here are a pair of original Corcoran's from my collection. Size 10 1/2 C.

Bfryar44

MVC-015S.jpg

MVC-018S.jpg

“There's not much I can tell you about this war. It's like all wars, I guess.The undertakers are winning.The politicians who talk about the glory of it.The old men who talk about the need of it.The soldiers, well, they just wanna go home.” Jimmy Stewart in Shenandoah

donation2007.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

post-344-1168957963.jpg

post-344-1168958000.jpg

Hi RRA227 & Bryan, thanks for starting this post an opportunity for me to dig out some more of my ' Oddities'.

The one pair are a regular pattern jump boot but with experimental ' crepe' rubber soles and heels, note the cut away heel. I understand these were expeimented with which to try and cushion landing, however for two seconds of shock landing and days of field use they didn't work out. Note they have been heavily worn, the soles however are still soft even after sixty odd years.

The second pair I am showing are a pair of fairly regular two buckle boots, although with toe cap, Note the paratrooper cut-away heel. The soles are plain , no pattern, the heels are ' Good-Year'. The inside sole, the side-wall of the boot and the top cuff are all stamped 9.1/2C, there are inspectors stamps but no other information. These have never been worn, I have never managed to track down any information for these boots. Perhaps if members look at any Paratrooper photos and they are wearing two buckle boots, please try to see the heel shape.

I would appreciate any further information on either of these two boots, Thanks ( Lewis )

Young enough to care and enjoy militaria - Old enough to remember as surplus

" Life's too short for reproductions "

Life is like a tank of gas, the closer you get to a quarter tank, the faster it goes 

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

I found these boots in a Goodwill store on June 6, 2005. How's that for a commemoration of D-Day?

Bill

post-265-1169005887.jpg

post-265-1169005905.jpg

Looking for older Virginia Military Institute items: insignia, uniforms, cadet sabers, documents, and groupings belonging to VMI alumni.

Also interested in Virginia Reserve Militia (VRM) uniforms and insignia, or other items of general Virginia interest.

I go to Goodwill and all I ever find is junk.

I only make one or two really good finds a year, but it's enough to keep me going!

Bill

Looking for older Virginia Military Institute items: insignia, uniforms, cadet sabers, documents, and groupings belonging to VMI alumni.

Also interested in Virginia Reserve Militia (VRM) uniforms and insignia, or other items of general Virginia interest.

I have only made one good buy at Goodwill and it was my first try. A new store opened here and I visited it on the first day. I bought 2 pair of Mountain Boots and they were a bit unusual. I thought they had been modified post war by a civilian user.

Later Mike Myers, the 10th Mountain Division guru, was asking for info on what ever mountain boots we had in our collections. I shared these strange boots with him. Boy was I ever surprised and happy. They were the first and second pattern boots. The date on the first pattern boot was the earliest that Mike had seen.

I got both pair for $5.

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gif

PLEASE NOTE: THIS COMMUNITY MEMBER, SADLY, HAS PASSED AWAY

Hi,

I was wondering what the tricks are behind telling a pair of WW2 Jump Boots from a pair of post war boots?

In the case where, the boots don't have an obvious manufacturing date.

Can anyone give a a few clues?

Thanks,

Erich

donation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2014.gif

My size 6 1/2 jump boots came from a thrift store last October. My M-42 came from a thrift store. One of my camo coveralls came from a thrift store. I got lots of good stuff out of thrift stores. Rich A.

1969 Shelby GT-500 King of the Road

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gif
donation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

Here is a photo of the early pair you would find associated with the battalions and the balloon suits.

Hi Tim, really looking forward to seeing your boots as you say they are early ones, I think you have posted the image too large for it to appear, maybe some one else has also mailed to tell you, I did the same thing on my first post. You will need to reduce down before sending to site, I think if you size it in the folder you are keeping it in on your computer ( 500 to 600 height ) is generally good, and then attach it for posting.

Will be looking forward to seeing them. regards ( Lewis )

Forgot to say if you hit the edit button on the post where the image is cropped you can delete that image and add your new image. As I had to do when I did it.

Young enough to care and enjoy militaria - Old enough to remember as surplus

" Life's too short for reproductions "

Life is like a tank of gas, the closer you get to a quarter tank, the faster it goes 

Hi Tim, really looking forward to seeing your boots as you say they are early ones, I think you have posted the image too large for it to appear, maybe some one else has also mailed to tell you, I did the same thing on my first post. You will need to reduce down before sending to site, I think if you size it in the folder you are keeping it in on your computer ( 500 to 600 height ) is generally good, and then attach it for posting.

Will be looking forward to seeing them. regards ( Lewis )

Forgot to say if you hit the edit button on the post where the image is cropped you can delete that image and add your new image. As I had to do when I did it.

• 2 months later...

Hi guys,

What do you think of these boots? Original or fake? They both don't have the stiching on the side..

My biggest doubts are on the first pair..

Pair 1

jumpboots3rp5.th.jpg jumpbootswh9.th.jpg jumpboots2dc5.th.jpg jumpboots4fy0.th.jpg

Pair 2, looks like they have been resoled..

jumboots2jv9.th.jpg jumpboots3mz7.th.jpg jumpboots4oh7.th.jpg jumpboots6ll3.th.jpg

Thanks in advance!

Michiel,

I think the first type boots you show are similar to the ones Bill and Chris show. I think that pair is good. I think the bottom pair you show are postwar combat boots, they look very similar to jumpboots, but dont have the slanted heel.

Here is one pair of jumpboots I own. These are latewar/postwar jumpboots with virtually no wear to them. They have been altered with a zipper to the side by a shoemaker or someone with acces to a heavy sewing machine. The stiching is beautifull, zipper is marked Talon. The color of the boots is like in the picture, reddish brown.

post-132-1176153354.jpg

Regards

Stijn

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif

Stijn,

I have a pair of boots identical to yours. Inside the tongue near the top is a sewn in label that reads: RANGER HEAVY DUTY SHOES. That is the only marking. This particular type was factory made with the zipper. They were common on the civilian market in the 1950's. After WW2 jump boots were private purchase items and there were many makers. It is hard to say what sort of purchases were made of these boots by GI's. I'm sure there were some. There were standard boots that were modified by shoe repair shops to include the zipper also.

Thx Craig,

I didn't know they were factory made.

Here a quick picture of the label inside, for reference!

post-132-1176205584.jpg

Craig,

you know your stuff...

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif

Stijn,

Thanks for the nice comment.

The label in my pair is orange on black rather than red like your pair. All of the boot detail I can see in your pic is the same as my pair. I can not see the sole of your pair and wondered if there are differences.

post-5-1176217144.jpg

post-5-1176217157.jpg

Dear Craig,

I see no difference.

Excuse me for the bad picture, I was fast on the draw.

post-132-1176222202.jpg

The 2 rubber pieces of the sole are brown. The front part (not the heel) is marked

8 10 1/2 IRON L

I think the "10 1/2 "is not a size indication, since the boot is about a size 8, 8.5. I guess the 'L' stands for 'left foot'.

Maybe also of intrest are the press studs, they are marked united carr.

Regards

Stijn

Dear Craig,

I see no difference.

Excuse me for the bad picture, I was fast on the draw.

post-132-1176222202.jpg

The 2 rubber pieces of the sole are brown. The front part (not the heel) is marked

8 10 1/2 IRON L

I think the "10 1/2 "is not a size indication, since the boot is about a size 8, 8.5. I guess the 'L' stands for 'left foot'.

Maybe also of intrest are the press studs, they are marked united carr.

Regards

Stijn

Here is a pair of unissued jump boots made by International Shoe Company under a contract date of August 29, 1942. They are size 9C.

Retired

post-264-1176227603.jpg