WW1 GI souvenir Maxim MG water can

carrabassett

carrabassett

This was picked out of a barn in western Maine and the guy had no idea what it was. I have heard that the gold wash paint was typical of VFW's or similar organizations that used it to display relics in their "trophy cases". Thought it was pretty cool as it was obviously brought back by a doughboy and is in great shape for being 100 years old! Also ironic that Hiram Maxim (inventor) was from Maine.

post-3604-0-20620300-1366325098.jpg post-3604-0-99339400-1366325107.jpg post-3604-0-20463000-1366325118.jpg

carrabassett

Great Piece! I'd be interested in knowing more about the gold paint!

From what I have researched and also from my own personal observations of seeing many display cases at VFW's and American Legion's over the past 50 years, it was quite common for war souvenirs to be painted in a gold paint or other color (sometimes silver) and then be stenciled over as to where or what it was or captured. At the time it was a trophy or souvenir donated by a vet to be displayed proudly. They were not thinking of it's potential "value" to a collector or museum but as a remembrance and lasting dedication to the men and women of their post who fought to keep us free. Thanks

camelgreen44

Interesting piece ! About 15 years ago,while visiting relatives in Northeast Ohio,I answered a phone call in reguards to an ad I posted in the local newspaper.I was looking for WWI memorabilia. The fella told me he had a canteen of sorts, painted gold with a WWI inscription painted on it. When I went to look at it,it was the same exact MG water cooler. Same inscription exactly ! At that time I didnt know what it was and passed on it,thinking it was some sort of fuel container for a mess kitchen stove etc. I did'nt purchase it do to funds and lack of interest at the time. Just wondering if it might be the same can,or a common souvenier of sorts. Just sayin?