VENDORS who pay NO dues ......plus NON member sellers SELLING

kammo-man

I am just sick of people taking advantage of this forum .

BOTTOM LINE PAY TO PLAY .......

or do ebay and sell and advertise there .

owen

Rakkasan187

I am just sick of people taking advantage of this forum .

BOTTOM LINE PAY TO PLAY .......

or do ebay and sell and advertise there .

owen

Good for you Owen...

Thanks again for reminding those who use this forum....

Leigh

Just to play devil's advocate - I have seen tons of stuff get sold here in the forum's for-sale section at spectacular prices. If you have to be a paying member to list stuff, I suspect some of those deals will disappear.

Just to play devil's advocate - I have seen tons of stuff get sold here in the forum's for-sale section at spectacular prices. If you have to be a paying member to list stuff, I suspect some of those deals will disappear.

Hummm, let me see if I care, nope.

Advertising costs money, why should I and the paying members of this forum subsidise nonpaying members ventures?

This might be "controversial" but I'm sure it would be technically possible to block non-paying members from using the forum's "For Sale" section?

This really doesn't bother me. I chose to donate because I like what this board is and because I know its expensive to run. If people choose not to donate, that's their choice. You may disagree with it, but it doesn't make you more right, or them more wrong.

This board is about people who collect US militaria as a hobby and who love to do so. If someone has an item that I would really like for my collection, I don't particularly care if I buy from a person who donates or who doesn't.

bunkerhillburning

This really doesn't bother me. I chose to donate because I like what this board is and because I know its expensive to run. If people choose not to donate, that's their choice. You may disagree with it, but it doesn't make you more right, or them more wrong.

This board is about people who collect US militaria as a hobby and who love to do so. If someone has an item that I would really like for my collection, I don't particularly care if I buy from a person who donates or who doesn't.

I agree with Red. I donated because I enjoy reading the threads, find the members and their stories interesting and don't know another site like this one, Its unique.

Owen is a VERY passionate man, and we think very much alike! :o I agree with his position on this point as well.

When you run into Owen at a show, there are hugs and laughter all around, he's never dull. If you don't know him, cut him a wide path on this topic. ;)

A person doesn't have to donate much. They accept any amount you send. I don't think they have to donate to sell but they should.

What was the genesis of this topic??? I'm not following where it came from - I don't see any overt advertisements for businesses...sure, people have their interests, I have my museum etc in the signature block, but haven't seen any huge banners advertising a specific company etc.

As for donations....other than monetary donations, I would also count the amount of time people "donate" in doing research for people who either don't have access to records that some of us do, or maybe they just aren't good a researching...donations of "services in kind" are important too. I do get a little miffed when people will post a ton of stuff and ask for identification, value etc...especially when it's something like the common WWII patches, which are easy enough to research on the interweb - if you can navigate this website, you have the skills to look up a patch. That's my 2 Pfennigs......

Mark sends

flashesandovals

So,

Should not-donating members charge for the information they are contributing (donating) to the forum also then?

A donation is just what it is, a donation, isn't it?

I have created and published a reference site (at my own expense, and with no sponsoring whatsoever) which took me 20 years to research and build, with close 30.000 hits and free of charge...

Nonetheless, if a membership fee for USMF were required, I do not believe we would be loosing members either.

Just a thought.

AAF_Collection

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Exactly my feeling too. I donate what I can,when I can because I enjoy the forum,but it's a personal choice and members who choose not to donate shouldn't in my opinion be valued any less than those who do. As has already been said many donate in different ways to make the forum what it is.

Now if it's dealers getting free advertising without contributing to the forum in other ways,why not make it policy that posts by a dealer promoting his website will only be allowed after he donates a certain amount to the forum?.

Matt.

Well Owen.This thread works much better than your other style and gets a message out for thought.Now the discussion begins...I donate to keep this forum healthy ,that is in the best interest of all of us that live in this World of Militaria.Dealer or Collector...Robert

Just because you pay to be on the team, doesn't make you a better player.

I think if someone is here for the sole purpose of advertising or selling and contributes in no other way then a paid membership is justified. Charging for membership will drive away those who have a new interest in US Militaria, especially our teenage members-thus killing growth. It wouldn't be a matter of how many current members would stay but how many new members would join.

As for the FS section, you have to have 50 substantive post before you can sell and I think that is fair.

-Erik

vintageproductions

I think, what Owen is referring to is this type of member, who has over 50 posts but all of those post are just promoting their website, no posting photos or helping other collectors, etc.

There is no talks about charging people to be members. But with that being said, in the past, there have been members that made their 50 original posts and then went on to do nothing but use the For Sale section, and never helping other collectors again.

Heres the thing .

Why now ?

Well reading the dealer up dates last week I........and I only look at people who sell Vietnam .....both of who I met at last months SOS in Kentucky and were set up selling their wears on tables that cost a lot and noticed they both did not donate to this form , even though they get free advertising here .

It just rubbed me the wrong way to be honest.

Can I be a bit harsh , sure ....but the forum has supported free loaders enough be it business or private sales ...I believe you should be a paying member to buy and sell here.

Not to much to ask is it ?

Thanks for the support guys but I am only saying what needs to be said .

owen

I have seen other forums where to buy/sell/trade you have to pay a small fee, while the rest of the areas are free.....and I agree, the forum shouldn't just be where someone uses their posts as nothing but advertising....

Mark sends

I don't want a mandatory fee to be a member, to buy or to sell. However, I do believe that a business person should 'reseed', the patch that helps feed them. It's just good business sense. (I am a retied businessman.)

firefighter

I have to agree with 'red legs'.I donated and will keep donating, not because I get a ribbon, because this is a great site.I have been collecting for over 30+ years and have learned things from forum members.

If people are only have 50 posts and all are advertising, as Bob stated, then the 'administrators' should warn or remove this member.If people are upset about non-paying members selling then remove the FS section.I would miss it, as I have bought some really nice items from members, but it would solve a lot of problems.

I also agree that a fee may prevent younger members from joining.When I first started collecting reference books were inexpensive, the few that were out there.Today a good reference book will cost you way over $30.Wasn't somebody complaining about a 101st patch being to expensive and saying younger collectors can't afford this hobby?

I say keep it as is.I have only been a member for less than a year but I have seen things I thought I would never see, even in a $100 reference book.

Voluntary payment is better. My sole basis has to do with vintage aircraft at airshows. Any aircraft I have been involved with has never charged for people to come aboard and yet I have obtained more donations in that fashion than when there is a fee. The result has been more families coming aboard who would not otherwise have been able to if we had charged, ergo many youngsters having an experience that will encourage them to eventually take my place.

Conversley, there are other groups such as the CAF and Collings who MUST charge to keep their fleets in the air but they are in a different niche. In this group you will find fewer families simply because it is often beyond their means.

Of course one could point out the success of the latter keeps these airplanes flying and while true the former is what eventually leads to the latter.

Payment is important but what is the real point of this topic, a frustration or to actually make things better?

I run a forum separate of this one. I can attest to the fact that forums like this cost money to run. Photo intensive forums such as the USMF take up tons of electronic storage space. This space comes with a cost and the more space you use the more it costs. So remember, when someone "donates", they are helping to assure that this forum continues to be funded and is able to stay upgraded and provide fast service.

Sure, you do not have to give, we don't require folks to pay a dime for this great service. However, consider this thought: When I go to a restaurant and the staff is great and the food is good and I leave feeling satisfied... I leave a nice tip to show my appreciation. Do you appreciate this site? Has it helped you? Did you get your answers? If so, show your appreciation.

As for those who feel that they donate by the dispensing of their knowledge on this forum thus, they don't need to give... Let me ask you if you ever got the answer you needed here from someone on this forum who has also given though financial support? Yeah?... me too, that's why I give. :)

Let's keep USMF as it is. Those who don't want to donate should have some good reasons for doing so and I am not here to judge them. And if they sell good VN stuff, I will be more than happy to be the first to respond to their post in the FS section. :)

As far as I am concerned, I second Bugme. Quality service means nice tip. And USMF is the best militaria forum, that's why every new year I am glad to donate.