WWI promotion document (what is unit?) Development Battalion 'The Camp Gordon Plan'

Can anyone tell me what unit this soldier belonged to? I am having difficulty with the script and abreviations. It looks like it says " 18th Devl. Co. 5th Dev. Bn, 154 DB ". Any help is appreciated. thanks.

sammy t.

post-12695-0-31987300-1366242866.jpg

Jeffrey Magut

18th Development Company 5th Development Battalion, 154th Depot Brigade.

Development Battalions were created to allow soldiers who could not pass examinations or adequately perform their duties to get up to speed. Convalescents, those with medical problems, the inept and those who didn't have a mastery of English were assigned to the Devl Bn to improve their abilities.

Thanks for the great info Jeffrey. Were develepment companies state side or overseas during wwi. Also, I thought a company was designated by a letter of the alphabet?

Sammy T.

The 154th Depot Brigade was at Camp Meade, Maryland. It was the staging area for over 100,000 men, largely from Maryland and Pennsylvania. Depot Brigades were stateside units for intake and training.

• 8 years later...
Salvage Sailor

Coming to this conversation late.....

WWI Development Battalions - They were much more than to sort out the unfit and imbeciles.   One of the primary purposes of the Development Battalions was to sort, question and classify alien volunteers in a multitude of languages looking for ex-Soldiers (and enemy, neutral or friendly soldiers).  They were eventually organized to reflect the positive aspects of the Camp Gordon Plan.

Foreign-Speaking Soldier Subsection (FSS) - The Camp Gordon Plan  from the United States World War One Centennial Commission website

Click on the link above and Scroll down to the ETHNIC-SPECIFIC COMPANIES section for detailed information on the development battalions, labor battalions, and noncombatant battalions

bertmedals
7 hours ago, Salvage Sailor said:

Coming to this conversation late.....

WWI Development Battalions - They were much more than to sort out the unfit and imbeciles.   One of the primary purposes of the Development Battalions was to sort, question and classify alien volunteers in a multitude of languages looking for ex-Soldiers (and enemy, neutral or friendly soldiers).  They were eventually organized to reflect the positive aspects of the Camp Gordon Plan.

Foreign-Speaking Soldier Subsection (FSS) - The Camp Gordon Plan  from the United States World War One Centennial Commission website

Click on the link above and Scroll down to the ETHNIC-SPECIFIC COMPANIES section for detailed information on the development battalions, labor battalions, and noncombatant battalions

Really excellent information.  As a result of it, I think I finally figured out what happened with a couple of my ancestors.  Thanks for posting the link to the Camp Gordon Plan.

Denns