Operation Restore Hope Medal

Squeaker

All the "Commemorative Medals" came into play only in the mid to late 2000's after the push of the Cold War Victory Medal. The company that manufactures this medal did not receive licencing to manufacture medals until 1995. Which, if it did start producing this medal then, still pushes it past the dates of Operation Restore Hope.

• 1 year later...

Hey Chet: I was in United Shield also! (Zinni is the man!)

However, although I was on the USS Belleau Wood with a lot of the 13th MEU Marines, I was in an attached Army psyop unit so perhaps we got a few different medals (but not likely).

My unit received a JMUA or something similar (can't remember anymore), the AFEM, and the UN Medal (we got both the standard issue blue and white and the Somalia-specific one, but could only wear one or the other not both), but they were for all Somalia operations combined 1993 to 1995. Anyway, I wasn't there for the earlier operations, but I did get orders for the same medals. If you're missing the orders, I could look for my old paperwork and see if they applied to everyone in United Shield or only for us Army guys, and PM you the orders number or whatever might be useful.

BTW, I have never seen that Restore Hope "medal" anywhere, and believe me, if there was a medal to be had, a psyop guy would have been issued it!

• 1 year later...

67Rally - Just a quick note on this post and your previous post on this medal from a couple years ago in which you mentioned it was from a Marine who served in Somalia with 3/1 who stated he was wounded and 12 others were KIA.

I served with Battalion Landing Team 3/1 as part of the 13th Marine Expeditionary Unit (SOC) in 1994 and 1995. Operation United Shield (the amphibious withdrawal of UN forces from Mogadishu, Somalia) was a short operation that only lasted a few days in 1995. The rest of that deployment with 3/1 was more or less a standard WestPac cruise common in the mid-1990's. Although United Shield was a combat operation, there were no US casualties, WIA or KIA and, as far as I know, only two Marines were ever killed in Somalia (January 1993 with the 11th Marines I think). There were only a handful of Marines WIA during all of Restore Hope.

3/1 only deployed to Somalia one time and was not headquartered in Okinawa for that deployment. A detachment from Kilo Co. 3/7 was sent to us from Okinawa for a few days, but none of them were wounded either.

Further, during my time on active duty, I never heard of a Marine command issuing a commemorative medal to anyone for combat service. The commander of the operation, Gen. Anthony Zinni, told us after our return the US, when we were assembled at Camp Pendleton, that "the standard gift to successful Marines is usually a long speech. However, since I know you all hate speeches, let's go on a run instead" and then he stripped off his camouflage blouse and led the battalion on a 5 mile run. That was all we got in the way of "personal gifts".

If your buddy was an infantry Marine and actually a member of 3/1 during that operation, there is a good chance I know him or can identify him from our cruise book. However, if he is claiming a PHM from United Shield, it certainly sounds like a case of stolen valor to me.

As far that operation is concerned, BLT 3/1 was issued the CAR,JMUA, and AFEM for United Shield. The SWA (w/ star for Cease Fire campaign) was also issued earlier in that deployment. I do not know if the United Nations medal was ever authorized for members of that operation or not. It does not appear on my records and I do not know anyone who received it later (the CAR and JMUA was authorized long after we returned home). However, General Zinni has been photographed wearing the older, standard UN service ribbon (issued prior to authorization for US service members to wear the actual UN operation ribbon for their service.) So, it is impossible to tell what UN operation it represents. He also served with UNITAF twice prior to United Shield, so it may be for that service. It would seem logical that it should have been awarded because it was essentially a UN-centric mission. However, such things are often buried in political fog. I just dont know.

On a side note: In my opinion, the 1990's would have been a good time for DOD to end the AFEM altogether and go back to service specific expeditionary medals with a WWI style clasp for the specific operation (and a star on the ribbon). Considering the length of history behind the MEM and the fact DOD has often allowed Marines to exchange the AFEM for the MEM (because it is more desirable), it would have made sense. The AFEM hasnt been issued in a decade but the equally useless GWOTSM, GWOTEM and AFSM haven't improved the situation. They have made it worse. Much worse.

Chet

Hey Chet,

I too was with 3/1 landing team in United Shield. I was an 0311 with Kilo Co. that took position on high ground at the prison. You had said 3/1 received a CAR. I remember we were told that not everyone/ company would receive a CAR and as far as I know I haven't (not on DD214). Although I never returned fire, as targets were concealed in buildings or in vehicles, we were fired at the entire time. I believe the guys on the beach who were able to return fire did receive the CAR. Any updates that you know of to the list of awarded person's or companies.

I have missed a lot of this thread...been busy with life and other collecting directions.

I am going to ask my buddy if he has his service/medical records. I am trying to be delicate with this as I want to understand what truly happened (or didn't happen).