Operation Restore Hope Medal

Squeaker

I know that soldiers involved in this operation were eligible for the AFEM, CAR, and a few other. I see this Operation Restore Hope medal pop up every once in a while

Does anyone know if it was just a commemorative private medal or something that could actually be worn on the uniform.

Any thoughts?

I know that soldiers involved in this operation were eligible for the AFEM, CAR, and a few other. I see this Operation Restore Hope medal pop up every once in a while

Does anyone know if it was just a commemorative private medal or something that could actually be worn on the uniform.

Any thoughts?

My buddy (a Marine) who was wounded in convoy attack (most of the others in the convoy were KIA) said that he was presented the medal by his command when recovering his wounds (he was medevac'd).

I scanned his medal:

4646988338_da7ea539e4_z.jpg

I see this listed as a commemorative medal in various internet sites but I can't find where one can buy it. It is also not listed in any manual of awards so it isn't DoD issued.

Every time I try to find out anything about it, it always goes back to the AFEM was the actual award. So, I 'm guessing this was available to everyone who was there regardless? Did your buddy say?

Here is a site where you can buy one:

http://www.piecesofhistory.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=49_77&products_id=848

He said that he was presented his PHM and this Restore Hope medal at the hospital in Germany when someone from his chain of command visited him and some other wounded (from his convoy). He had to buy his CAR and his AFEM after he recovered and returned to Okinawa (where his command was stationed).

The AFEM is applicable to all Restore Hope veterans who served on the beach or aboard ships in support. My brother-in-law was aboard the Sacramento (AOE-1) during Restore Hope. The crew were given these medals at some point following their tour off the coast. Wiki has the list of approved actions that were awarded the medal which is accurately obtained from the manual of awards.

Ok, I think I see now. I just didn't understand what the purpose of the "Somalia...Hope" medal was if they received the AFEM. So they are more or less just private issue commemoratives then.

I would agree that the RH medal is commemorative as it is not listed in the manual of awards. Regardless, the AFEM is benign and doesn't call any particular attention to the specific sacrifices made in Somalia - along the lines of D-Shield/D-Storm or OEF/OIF. Restore Hope/Somalia is treated in the same manner as Operation Earnest Will/Persian Gulf in the 1980s.

Jarhead8007

That's got to be a commemorative (and I've never seen it before). I was with 24th MEU and we got there in March 1993. By the time we were done, we were awarded the Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal, Joint Meritorious Unit Award, and U.N. Medal (Somalia). The JMUA and UNM were for UNOSOM II under the command of Gen Bir (Turkey) in June & July.

This is a commemorative medal. It was presented to your buddy as a souvenir or a "morale" item acquired by someone in the unit chain of command privately to give out as they saw fit. During Operation Restore Hope someone was selling these sets (see pics) of this medal, the UN medal for Somalia and a jacket patch.

post-895-0-98224600-1366570443.jpg

post-895-0-51314700-1366570463.jpg

• 3 months later...

67Rally - Just a quick note on this post and your previous post on this medal from a couple years ago in which you mentioned it was from a Marine who served in Somalia with 3/1 who stated he was wounded and 12 others were KIA.

I served with Battalion Landing Team 3/1 as part of the 13th Marine Expeditionary Unit (SOC) in 1994 and 1995. Operation United Shield (the amphibious withdrawal of UN forces from Mogadishu, Somalia) was a short operation that only lasted a few days in 1995. The rest of that deployment with 3/1 was more or less a standard WestPac cruise common in the mid-1990's. Although United Shield was a combat operation, there were no US casualties, WIA or KIA and, as far as I know, only two Marines were ever killed in Somalia (January 1993 with the 11th Marines I think). There were only a handful of Marines WIA during all of Restore Hope.

3/1 only deployed to Somalia one time and was not headquartered in Okinawa for that deployment. A detachment from Kilo Co. 3/7 was sent to us from Okinawa for a few days, but none of them were wounded either.

Further, during my time on active duty, I never heard of a Marine command issuing a commemorative medal to anyone for combat service. The commander of the operation, Gen. Anthony Zinni, told us after our return the US, when we were assembled at Camp Pendleton, that "the standard gift to successful Marines is usually a long speech. However, since I know you all hate speeches, let's go on a run instead" and then he stripped off his camouflage blouse and led the battalion on a 5 mile run. That was all we got in the way of "personal gifts".

If your buddy was an infantry Marine and actually a member of 3/1 during that operation, there is a good chance I know him or can identify him from our cruise book. However, if he is claiming a PHM from United Shield, it certainly sounds like a case of stolen valor to me.

As far that operation is concerned, BLT 3/1 was issued the CAR,JMUA, and AFEM for United Shield. The SWA (w/ star for Cease Fire campaign) was also issued earlier in that deployment. I do not know if the United Nations medal was ever authorized for members of that operation or not. It does not appear on my records and I do not know anyone who received it later (the CAR and JMUA was authorized long after we returned home). However, General Zinni has been photographed wearing the older, standard UN service ribbon (issued prior to authorization for US service members to wear the actual UN operation ribbon for their service.) So, it is impossible to tell what UN operation it represents. He also served with UNITAF twice prior to United Shield, so it may be for that service. It would seem logical that it should have been awarded because it was essentially a UN-centric mission. However, such things are often buried in political fog. I just dont know.

On a side note: In my opinion, the 1990's would have been a good time for DOD to end the AFEM altogether and go back to service specific expeditionary medals with a WWI style clasp for the specific operation (and a star on the ribbon). Considering the length of history behind the MEM and the fact DOD has often allowed Marines to exchange the AFEM for the MEM (because it is more desirable), it would have made sense. The AFEM hasnt been issued in a decade but the equally useless GWOTSM, GWOTEM and AFSM haven't improved the situation. They have made it worse. Much worse.

Chet

My buddy (a Marine) who was wounded in convoy attack (most of the others in the convoy were KIA) said that he was presented the medal by his command when recovering his wounds (he was medevac'd).

I scanned his medal:
4646988338_da7ea539e4_z.jpg

I see this listed as a commemorative medal in various internet sites but I can't find where one can buy it. It is also not listed in any manual of awards so it isn't DoD issued.

67Rally - Just a quick note on this post and your previous post on this medal from a couple years ago in which you mentioned it was from a Marine who served in Somalia with 3/1 who stated he was wounded and 12 others were KIA.

I served with Battalion Landing Team 3/1 as part of the 13th Marine Expeditionary Unit (SOC) in 1994 and 1995. Operation United Shield (the amphibious withdrawal of UN forces from Mogadishu, Somalia) was a short operation that only lasted a few days in 1995. The rest of that deployment with 3/1 was more or less a standard WestPac cruise common in the mid-1990's. Although United Shield was a combat operation, there were no US casualties, WIA or KIA and, as far as I know, only two Marines were ever killed in Somalia (January 1993 with the 11th Marines I think). There were only a handful of Marines WIA during all of Restore Hope.

3/1 only deployed to Somalia one time and was not headquartered in Okinawa for that deployment. A detachment from Kilo Co. 3/7 was sent to us from Okinawa for a few days, but none of them were wounded either.

Further, during my time on active duty, I never heard of a Marine command issuing a commemorative medal to anyone for combat service. The commander of the operation, Gen. Anthony Zinni, told us after our return the US, when we were assembled at Camp Pendleton, that "the standard gift to successful Marines is usually a long speech. However, since I know you all hate speeches, let's go on a run instead" and then he stripped off his camouflage blouse and led the battalion on a 5 mile run. That was all we got in the way of "personal gifts".

If your buddy was an infantry Marine and actually a member of 3/1 during that operation, there is a good chance I know him or can identify him from our cruise book. However, if he is claiming a PHM from United Shield, it certainly sounds like a case of stolen valor to me.

As far that operation is concerned, BLT 3/1 was issued the CAR,JMUA, and AFEM for United Shield. The SWA (w/ star for Cease Fire campaign) was also issued earlier in that deployment. I do not know if the United Nations medal was ever authorized for members of that operation or not. It does not appear on my records and I do not know anyone who received it later (the CAR and JMUA was authorized long after we returned home). However, General Zinni has been photographed wearing the older, standard UN service ribbon (issued prior to authorization for US service members to wear the actual UN operation ribbon for their service.) So, it is impossible to tell what UN operation it represents. He also served with UNITAF twice prior to United Shield, so it may be for that service. It would seem logical that it should have been awarded because it was essentially a UN-centric mission. However, such things are often buried in political fog. I just dont know.

On a side note: In my opinion, the 1990's would have been a good time for DOD to end the AFEM altogether and go back to service specific expeditionary medals with a WWI style clasp for the specific operation (and a star on the ribbon). Considering the length of history behind the MEM and the fact DOD has often allowed Marines to exchange the AFEM for the MEM (because it is more desirable), it would have made sense. The AFEM hasnt been issued in a decade but the equally useless GWOTSM, GWOTEM and AFSM haven't improved the situation. They have made it worse. Much worse.

Chet

First off, Chet, you'll have to grant me a little latitude as I am a Navy vet and much of the details/designations of the USMC units are absolutely foreign to me. My bud was with two separate units while in Somalia. I would be happy to share his name with you offline. Before you start tossing "stolen valor" around, you might want to put the brakes on.

Secondly, I value privacy - my own and that of others - so posting a whole pile of data about someone else without their consent is not something I readily do.

I've seen his DD-214 and his PHM is verified.

As far as your situation...you can speak authoritatively. With regards to that of others from my commands, I can only confirm what the unit did...not what an individual did unless I was with that person. I have met a person who said they were a part of my CIC team during our Iranian encounter...yet I know they weren't on the ship, let alone in my division. So, considering that, I can authoritatively comment. I'll leave the rest for offline discussion.

With regards to this medal, I spoke about what I do know...that it is not in any USN/USMC awards manual. In addition, I have only seen it referenced as a commemorative. How or why my buddy was given it, I don't know. He said he was given it by his chain of command. In the 5 years I've known him, my buddy has been brutally honest (almost to a fault), so I will give him the benefit of the doubt and consideration over that of someone I don't know and is only a personality on an internet forum (nothing against you, personally)...with a single post here, mind you.

I hope this makes sense.

Rally - I have reviewed your PM's and your posts on this subject and I am confident this guy is lying to you or the details of this story are horribly distorted in the re-telling.

• Fact: there were never 12 Marine KIA's in Somalia on the same day.
  • Fact: there were only 2 Marine KIA's in all Somalia operations combined. They were not on the same day.
  • Fact: there were only 27 (29 according to one source) US KIA's in all US operations in Somalia.
  • Fact: 18 (19 according to some sources) of the US KIA's occurred on the same day during the "Battle of Mogadishu" also referred to as Black Hawk Down, and no Marines participated.
  • Fact: the remaining US Army KIA's did not all occur on the same day.
  • Fact: 3/1 only completed one mission in Somalia and it was in 1995.
  • Fact: there were no medevac's during 3/1's Operation United Shield and no US combat casualties whatsoever.
  • Fact: Online Navy history lists 15 Marine combat WIA's for all Somalia operations combined in 92-94. Marine PHM's from Somalia comprise a very short list. I know the names of two, neither are your buddy's name. That leaves 13.
  • Fact: I didnt find your buddy's name listed in any ground combat units that participated with 3/1 ashore in United Shield.
  • Fact: I did find a Marine with the same last name, same rank, first initial B that worked in the tool room of the helo squadron during that mission.
  • Opinion: I dont think the guys from the tool room event went ashore.
  • Opinion: the commemorative medal thing is a red flag. Marine commanders just dont do that when they hand out real DOD medals to active duty Marines.
  • Opinion: the "Force Recon/Paramarine" bit is a red flag.
  • Opinion: the false KIA count is an enormous red flag.
  • Conclusion: maybe someone can help us get a list of the remaining 13 Marine WIAs from Somalia and maybe your buddy's name is actually on that list, but he wasnt with 3/1, didn't have 12 KIA's in his unit, and his command did not issue this medal to him while "in country". It sounds like a Marine who probably served honorably and capably in his given MOS has constructed a war story, and possibly falsified a document, to explain scars from some other incident and liven up an otherwise fairly common term of service. That has happened thousands of times.

I only took an interest because I saw both of your posts about this medal and when I saw one of my former units listed along with it, I started reading.

(Edited to show slightly different casualty counts from some sources)

Chet and Rally 67

I would like to commend both of you for the spirited yet very civil debate on this thread. Far to many times I get discouraged at the back and forth banter that turns personal on the forum. My hat is off to the both of you.

Bob

Rally - I have reviewed your PM's and your posts on this subject and I am confident this guy is lying to you or the details of this story are horribly distorted in the re-telling.

• Fact: there were never 12 Marine KIA's in Somalia on the same day.
  • Fact: there were only 2 Marine KIA's in all Somalia operations combined. They were not on the same day.
  • Fact: there were only 27 US KIA's in all US operations in Somalia.
  • Fact: 18 of the US KIA's occurred on the same day during the "Battle of Mogadishu" also referred to as Black Hawk Down, and no Marines participated.
  • Fact: the remaining 7 US Army KIA's did not all occur on the same day.
  • Fact: 3/1 only completed one mission in Somalia and it was in 1995.
  • Fact: there were no medevac's during 3/1's Operation United Shield and no US combat casualties whatsoever.
  • Fact: Online Navy history lists 15 Marine combat WIA's for all Somalia operations combined in 92-94. Marine PHM's from Somalia comprise a very short list. I know the names of two, neither are your buddy's name. That leaves 13.
  • Fact: I didnt find your buddy's name listed in any ground combat units that participated with 3/1 ashore in United Shield.
  • Fact: I did find a Marine with the same last name, same rank, first initial B that worked in the tool room of the helo squadron during that mission.
  • Opinion: I dont think the guys from the tool room event went ashore.
  • Opinion: the commemorative medal thing is a red flag. Marine commanders just dont do that when they hand out real DOD medals to active duty Marines.
  • Opinion: the "Force Recon/Paramarine" bit is a red flag.
  • Opinion: the false KIA count is an enormous red flag.
  • Conclusion: maybe someone can help us get a list of the remaining 13 Marine WIAs from Somalia and maybe your buddy's name is actually on that list, but he wasnt with 3/1, didn't have 12 KIA's in his unit, and his command did not issue this medal to him while "in country". It sounds like a Marine who probably served honorably and capably in his given MOS has constructed a war story, and possibly falsified a document, to explain scars from some other incident and liven up an otherwise fairly common term of service. That has happened thousands of times.

I only took an interest because I saw both of your posts about this medal and when I saw one of my former units listed along with it, I started reading.

As confident you are in the postings of your "facts," I am equally confident in the veracity of my buddy's medals/wounding. The issue here lies in what I can confidently state as far as his units and the dates of his wounding. Similarly, I can be confident that you are lacking as the authoritative body that can make the be-all, end-all determinations as to what took place in theater during your time there AND regarding every last member of your unit(s) and all their activities.

Fact: Official Navy/USMC/Army/AF records are seldom complete.

Fact: Official records as to all awards for individuals are seldom complete.

Fact: I have seen my buddy's DD-214 WITH his awards listed WITH a PHM

Fact: I am not absolutely certain of the unit he was with when he was wounded.

Fact: I don't know you from Adam AND I will, at this point, defer to my buddy's word as he has been absolutely honest with the most personal of subjects in his life.

Fact: He has confided in me with delicate and issues seeking counsel and advice. Do I know his deepest and darkest secrets? No. But I do know some very deeply devastating issues.

Fact: Your mission to prove someone wrong is both admirable and strange. To unequivocally call someone out sans the facts is over the top considering how little you know about someone.

Fact: The cruisebook you referenced is, like any such publication, is incomplete. How do I know this? I put two of them together for my ship and in the nature of getting them published in a reasonable timeline, details are missed, overlooked, or intentionally withheld (for a myriad of reasons).

As I stated in my earlier posts regarding the medal and how/why he was given it, I don't know the details. I am fully aware of the nature of commands issuing awards and decorations especially those that are simply handed out at quarters (like the NatDef). I also know how personal awards are presented. Serving 10 years active duty and spending the last 6 years researching my family's service, I have encountered a great deal of inaccuracies...even within the service records. Hell, my own has minute deficiencies that I wasn't going to stick around to rectify as I wanted to start my new career without any delays.

Whatever the reason, I take stolen valor seriously. I take being lied to even more seriously and, trust me when I say this...I WILL verify the details with my buddy (with diplomacy and consideration...rather taking the bull-in-a-china shop approach).

EDIT: Just to clarify...though I might appear to be taking a defensive approach, I am simply being assertive with my commentary. I mean no disrespect to you (I appreciate that you value and demand honesty from veterans...especially in the area of awards and decorations). As my wife would confirm, I struggle with trusting people. I seldom take anyone at their word. It may sound brutal, but people have to prove themselves to me and my Marine buddy does so constantly and consistently. I see him stick his neck out for other vets with PTSD and TBI making sure they get the care they need...never seeking recognition or anything in return. He doesn't walk around with medals/ribbons on his civvies nor does he wear anything that would let you know that he served over there...other than a simple USMC boonie hat (on hot, sunny days) or a barracks cover out and about. He never boats nor brags. He doesn't fit the bill of the prototypical blow-hard, attention-whore traits of these valor thieves.

As I stated, my interest was piqued because I was there with 3/1 in 1995 for Operation United Shield. Earlier you mentioned being somewhat uninformed about Marine unit designations so, I will tell you, BLT's are very tight knit units. it is virtually impossible for someone to receive a combat decoration as a member of a battalion landing team and not at least have the entire battalion know about it, much less not have a battalion formation to honor the sacrifice and commitment of the Marines involved in the action. Also, as I mentioned, General Zinni and LtCol Philip Tracy discussed the success and lack of casualties directly with the BLT several times. A hostile action injury, even before a PHM was approved, would not have been overlooked in those discussions., much less in the scuttlebutt amongst the grunts themselves. To put it in perspective, if a sailor was injured due to hostile action aboard ship, it would be impossible for a contemporary shipmate to not at least be aware of the incident itself even if he wasnt sure who got what medal.

You are absolutely correct that paperwork, histories, and whatnot are often incomplete or incorrect and contain discrepancies. Checking a cruise book is just another source, albeit as susceptible to error as any other. However, I am not relying on them when I discuss my own experiences with that unit. Those resources only give us a general idea of how rare a Marine PHM from Somalia actually is. As stated, I cannot give you the complete list of who got one (yet), only an idea of how many there were and about when they occurred. That doesn't make me the be all, end all authority on all operations in Somalia. But, it does raise a significant red flag when there ARE NOT ANY military sources that bear out your friend's tale. Certainly, you might take a few minutes and poke around your own resources and come to that conclusion yourself rather than simply rejecting what I am telling you out of hand (which I dont take personally. No worries.)

In fact, it is probably worth pointing out to you that both Marine KIA's came from 3/11, not 3/1, IIRC. It is likely that a couple more of the Marine PHM's came from that battalion also. 3/11 was an artillery battalion serving as a provisional infantry battalion during 92/93 - Operation Restore Hope. If your buddy actually received a PHM as a Marine in Somalia, that would explain at least part of the confusion if he was actually from that unit instead.

However, it sounds like he gave you a fairly detailed account of the incident and I doubt you or he would haphazardly dis-remember the KIA count in the story. There were never 12 Marines KIA in Somalia. Period. And, I would bet my blood stripes that a Marine unit commander wasnt handing out unauthorized medals at his own personal expense to his entire command. Again, unlike the occasionally haphazard way some medals are handled (like Navy Achievement Medals), the idea of issuing something that is unauthorized by DOD is LOATHSOME to Marine officers in general.

Apologies for the "bull-in-china-shop" perception, but all of my collective knowledge and experience, including dealing with folks who have inflated their service record, is pointing to just one thing, I would love to find out I am wrong and learn more about a Marine combat operation that I was previously unaware of.

Couple of links I came across:

A listing of hostile and non-hostile US deaths during Restore Hope (indicated 2 Marine KIA and 2 Marine non hostile deaths) along with the dates, branch of service, and other details

http://peacetime-casualties.findthedata.org/d/a/Operation-Restore-Hope

The USMC History Division website listing 2 KIA and 15 WIA (mirrors the NHHC numbers):

https://www.mcu.usmc.mil/historydivision/Pages/Frequently_Requested/Casualties.aspx

The LA Times article naming two of the 15 Marine Purple Heart recipients:

http://articles.latimes.com/1994-04-05/local/me-42480_1_el-toro-marine-base

Restoring Hope - A Marine History Division publication which includes information on major engagements. No listing of a convoy attack with multiple Marine casualties.

http://community.marines.mil/news/publications/Documents/Restoring%20Hope%20In%20Somalia%20with%20the%20Unified%20Task%20Force%201992-1993%20PCN%2019000413500_1.pdf

I have started trying to put together a list of all Marine WIA and KIA from Somalia. I believe I have 6 of the Marine WIA's as of tonight but I haven't been able to get any DOD source to confirm them so I am going to hold off posting them.

The two KIA's were:

Pfc Domingo Arroyo, Headquarters Battery, 3rd Bn, 11th Marines, RCT 7/Task Force Mogadishu –Jan 13, 1993 – Caguas, Puerto Rico
Lcpl Anthony Botello, Charlie Company, 1st Bn, 7th Marines, RCT 7/Task Force Mogadishu – Jan 25, 1993 – Wilburton, OK

I can verify one of the WIA, personally. Capt Wayne Steele was shot in the leg in late March 1993 and was presented with his Purple Heart in Mogadishu by the BSSG-7 CO, Col Hillman, the same day the Col promoted me to Captain - 1 April 1993.

The UNOSOM medal was only awarded from Dec '92 through Mar '95 and you had to be in support of the UN mission for 90+ days to qualify. As a side note, even though the medallion is the same (UN logo on front, "In the Service of Peace" on the back) my unit (24th MEU) incorrectly presented us with the UN Truce Observer Medal (blue ribbon w/2 white stripes), instead of the UNOSOM medal (tan/green/blue/green/tan).

I never imagined that my asking about one medal would open up so much discussion. I'm learning so much from EVERYONE. It's one thing to read newspaper articles and Internet sources, but to have discussions from people personally involved, or know someone who was, is amazing. Thank you all for the informative posts!

I can verify one of the WIA, personally. Capt Wayne Steele was shot in the leg in late March 1993 and was presented with his Purple Heart in Mogadishu by the BSSG-7 CO, Col Hillman, the same day the Col promoted me to Captain - 1 April 1993.

The UNOSOM medal was only awarded from Dec '92 through Mar '95 and you had to be in support of the UN mission for 90+ days to qualify. As a side note, even though the medallion is the same (UN logo on front, "In the Service of Peace" on the back) my unit (24th MEU) incorrectly presented us with the UN Truce Observer Medal (blue ribbon w/2 white stripes), instead of the UNOSOM medal (tan/green/blue/green/tan).

NS13Jarhead - Thanks for the info! That makes 9/17 on the list am making. As far as I know, all US service members who were awarded a UN medal received the blue/white UNTSO medal in 92,93,94. For some reason, prior to 1995, DOD policy stated that only the UNTSO medal and ribbon were to be worn by US personnel, regardless of what operation they participated in. 13OCT95 that was changed to allow the service member to wear the actual ribbon and medal from the UN operation they participated in. However, they were only allowed to wear their FIRST UN operation ribbon and then add a bronze star for each different UN operation they participated in, even though it was a different ribbon. That policy makes a little more sense........but not much. I talked to a former member of 3rd AAV Bn/RCT 7 yesterday and he said he thinks they were given the actual UNOSOM medal near the time he EAS'd in 95 for service rendered in 92/93 but other than that, I have not talked to anyone who got something other than the UNTSO ribbon/medal.

I have attached two photographs of General Zinni. Note that he is wearing the UNTSO blue/white ribbon per the earlier regulation even though this is well after 1995. As far as I know, General Zinni served in UNITAF, UNISOM II and United Shield, so he probably rated at least one star. I am still not sure if United Shield was considered part of UNISOM II. Suffice to say, I bet few if any service members, much less civilians, could look at a ribbon or medal group and tell if the wearer served in Somalia......which is a sad testament to the scattered system US medals and decorations have fallen into.

BTW, thanks for your service and information. You may see some pictures of folks you know in the "Restoring Hope" book link I provided earlier.

Edited to correct a little spelling and grammar.

post-21187-0-17132400-1377176288.jpg

post-21187-0-89491500-1377176295.jpg

NS13Jarhead - Here are a couple links about Col Wayne Steele who just retired after 42 years, 11 monrhs, 1 day of service and 17 different ranks in the Marine Corps (E1-E7, WO1 - CWO5, O1-O6). Probably one of the most unique Marine careers in the history of the Corps. He was supposed to retire in 2012 but somehow got to summer 2013.

http://www.militarytimes.com/article/20120610/NEWS/206100305/Legacy-Marine-Wayne-Steele-has-41-years-in

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2013/Jun/12/marine-colonel-retires-miramar-wayne-steele/?#article-copy

Hopefully, this is not too much of a thread swerve but Col Steele is a veteran and Purple Heart recipient from Somalia. It would be nice to have a picture of him in blues or alphas showing what ribbons he wears for Somalia service:

video of his retirement speech:

http://www.dvidshub.net/video/293297/col-wayne-steeles-retirement-speech#.UhYc4xbXFSA

• 2 weeks later...

Small update on this thread: I have talked to Marines and sailors who served in Somalia in various units in the last couple weeks. I have had 11 names submitted to me as Purple Heart recipients (of the 17 potential recipients). None of them have seen or heard of a command issuing this unofficial medal.

This all seems to boil down to the conclusion that this a commercially designed, produced and sold souvenir commemorative-type item that might have purchased by a command, distributed to some as a remembrance of service in Operation Restore Hope and the memories of how it was received are fuzzy.

• 3 months later...

I came in late on this one, but absolutely agree with Chet. There were only ever two Marine KIAs in Somalia. I was there in December - January 1992 with the First Marine Expeditionary Force at the beginning of the operation, and again in February - March 1994 with the 24th Marine Expeditionary Unit which served as the covering force for the U.S. Army to withdraw their personnel and equipment. Twelve KIAs in one event (especially before the current wars) would have been a MAJOR event (like Black Hawk Down). It didn't happen. As per the medal, I have never seen it before now, but thought it interesting how similar the ribbon is to the Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal, which was awarded for these operations.