Purple Heart Web Site

tom2001

WittWorldWide.com

As a side note, there were USN "Armed Guards" on board Merchant Vessels, that were wounded by enemy action, and received the Purple Heart. But they were U.S. Navy Personnel, and not Merchant Marine Seaman.

Tom - it was great to re-visit your wonderful website on this Memorial Day. Your tributes to these heroes help me remember the cost of freedom. It was nice to see a few "old friends" again, as well. Keep the faith! Best Regards.........Bob

• 2 months later...
medalcollect

Thanks,

It is nice to be able to see the fake compared to the real. Sometimes we get wrapped up in the group and do not look at the fine detail. your site was very helpful. Steve

• 1 year later...

Could any Forum member help me, with their advice on a WW2 Navy Purple Heart question?? I have a Navy Good Conduct Medal with four bars. Two are named and dated1932 & 1936; the other two bars are 4th Award & 5th Award. The medal is engraved "Francis / Everett Davis / USS R-Nineteen / 11 Oct. 1926. His dogtag gives his Navy service number 2909887. His service file from Str. Louis revealed that he received a Purple Heart for being wounded during the Battle of Samar, 25 October 1944, while serving aboard the "Kalinin Bay", CVE68.

My question: would Davis have been issued a Type 1 (gilt-silver witrh split brooch), or a Type 2 (bronze with full wrap brooch) Navy PH?? I don't know how long the stock of Type 1 PH medals lasted during WW2. Has a sharp transition been observed between the last of the Type 1 medal issues and the appearance of the Type 2 variety??

Thanks for any guidance y'all might have. Tom Nier

• 9 months later...

Would a soldier receive a wound stripe or purple heart in WW1 for being gassed?

Collector,

Yes a soldier would receive a wound chevron for being gassed. When the Purple Heart was instituted, the soldier who was awarded a wound stripe would be able to apply for a Purple Heart.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Will this website be back on line again ?

I'm a relative newbie learning about PH's and finding it hard to learn about naming on USAAF awards for WW2. Is there a recommended book that I could buy ? thanks. Pete

Will this website be back on line again ?

I'm a relative newbie learning about PH's and finding it hard to learn about naming on USAAF awards for WW2. Is there a recommended book that I could buy ? thanks. Pete

On this forum there is a good thread that shows the official naming styles for DFCs and Air Medals. Purple Hearts for AAF recipients will be no different than those to other Army personnel for WWII.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/10926-wwii-officially-named-aaf-dfcs-and-air-medals-to-pows/

• 2 months later...

I am looking for my great uncle's Purple Heart featured on this website, Pfc Alfred J. Ciarletto, if anyone has any information please reach out to me! My family will be very grateful.

KASTAUFFER

I am looking for my great uncle's Purple Heart featured on this website, Pfc Alfred J. Ciarletto, if anyone has any information please reach out to me! My family will be very grateful.

Actually it was never on Tom's website. It was on this website: http://www.tohonorourfallen.com/wwiieurope.htm

The collection on that website has also been sold to a large number of different people.

Kurt

• 7 months later...
Kansas Raider

Hi everybody, I have a Purple Heart,Engraved Ided, not numbered, KIA marine in Korea 27Sept1950 to Owen Everett Crockett Jr. Is there any way to find out when the medal was awarded? Thanks Steve

wartimecollectables.com

Hi everybody, I have a Purple Heart,Engraved Ided, not numbered, KIA marine in Korea 27Sept1950 to Owen Everett Crockett Jr. Is there any way to find out when the medal was awarded? Thanks Steve

His personnel file will likely contain the info. But post a photo of the engraving and researchers can narrow it down by the style.

It was probably awarded to his NOK within a few months of his death.

If you want to know specific dates, you'll have to pull his personnel file from the National Personnel Records Center.

Hope that helps!

That's a beautiful and correct Purple Heart for that time period. I would say it was probably engraved and presented to his NOK within a few months of his death.

As mentioned before, I'd pull his service record...that way you can find out more about him and pin down the exact date if you're seeking it.

RIP, Marine.

Typically, the posthumous medals are presented to the family within a few months of his death like Dave posted. If youre asking about the medals he received for service while he was in, its not customary to present those to the family along with posthumous decorations. If certain family members submit a request for previous awards and decorations through the specific branch (listed on NARA website), they will usually honor that request.

Kansas Raider

Here is the list of his other awards that was listed in OKC newspaper

Combat action Ribbon

Korean Service Medal

United Nations Service Medal

National Defense Medal

Korean Presidential Unit Citation

Republic of Korea War Service Medal