tom2001

Purple Heart Web Site

As a side note, there were USN "Armed Guards" on board Merchant Vessels, that were wounded by enemy action, and received the Purple Heart. But they were U.S. Navy Personnel, and not Merchant Marine Seaman.

Rich Witt

www.WittWorldWide.com

We are currently working on Updating and Improving the Web Site, so please be patient, and I appreciate all the visits... In the short term this may effect our USMF Images as well. RW

Collecting and Dealing in Quality Original Militaria, Specializing in Named/Attributed/ID'd Medals and Groups, with an emphasis on research.

"Putting the Face to the Name". We Appreciate the Service and Sacrifice, and Preserve the History...

Tom - it was great to re-visit your wonderful website on this Memorial Day. Your tributes to these heroes help me remember the cost of freedom. It was nice to see a few "old friends" again, as well. Keep the faith! Best Regards.........Bob

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif
"I have only two men out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (Message sent by 1st Lt. Clifton B. Cates. USMC, 96th Co., Soissons, 19 July 1918 - later 19th Commandant of the Marine Corps 1948-1952)

Excellent site, thanks for providing the info.

Thanks,

It is nice to be able to see the fake compared to the real. Sometimes we get wrapped up in the group and do not look at the fine detail. your site was very helpful. Steve

Could any Forum member help me, with their advice on a WW2 Navy Purple Heart question?? I have a Navy Good Conduct Medal with four bars. Two are named and dated1932 & 1936; the other two bars are 4th Award & 5th Award. The medal is engraved "Francis / Everett Davis / USS R-Nineteen / 11 Oct. 1926. His dogtag gives his Navy service number 2909887. His service file from Str. Louis revealed that he received a Purple Heart for being wounded during the Battle of Samar, 25 October 1944, while serving aboard the "Kalinin Bay", CVE68.

My question: would Davis have been issued a Type 1 (gilt-silver witrh split brooch), or a Type 2 (bronze with full wrap brooch) Navy PH?? I don't know how long the stock of Type 1 PH medals lasted during WW2. Has a sharp transition been observed between the last of the Type 1 medal issues and the appearance of the Type 2 variety??

Thanks for any guidance y'all might have. Tom Nier

donation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif
donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

Hi Tom

It could easily be a type I or II. I've seem type I's issued as late as 1968.

Kurt

!!!! WANTED !!!!

WWII Prisoner of War items : Medals, Mail, Diaries, Photos, Documents, Scrapbooks + More

WWII Naval Aviation Groupings : Medals, Documents, Scrapbooks, Photos, Flight Logs, Flight Jackets + More

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

Would a soldier receive a wound stripe or purple heart in WW1 for being gassed?

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gif

donation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gif

donation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Would a soldier receive a wound stripe or purple heart in WW1 for being gassed?

Collector,

Yes a soldier would receive a wound chevron for being gassed. When the Purple Heart was instituted, the soldier who was awarded a wound stripe would be able to apply for a Purple Heart.

" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. "

View my website honoring the men and women of Indiana: http://indianavets.wix.com/indiana-at-war and follow my updates on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/IndianaModernAgeofWar/
Interested in US uniforms? Join the Association of American Military Uniform Collectors! http://aamuc.org/or find us on Facebook! facebook.com/AAMUC.ORG

just worked for me.

Purplehearts.net is down as of 2:45am PST 3/6/16

Hoping its back up soon!

Always looking 33rd infantry division items as well as named items from Illinois but particulary Northern Illinois especially northwest Illinois

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

donation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

Will this website be back on line again ?

I'm a relative newbie learning about PH's and finding it hard to learn about naming on USAAF awards for WW2. Is there a recommended book that I could buy ? thanks. Pete

Tom passed away in January and only he knew the credentials to his website. Without them, you cant even pay the hosting fees.

There is however a website that has it archived: https://web.archive.org/web/20070715050759/http://www.purplehearts.net/

Kurt

!!!! WANTED !!!!

WWII Prisoner of War items : Medals, Mail, Diaries, Photos, Documents, Scrapbooks + More

WWII Naval Aviation Groupings : Medals, Documents, Scrapbooks, Photos, Flight Logs, Flight Jackets + More

Will this website be back on line again ?

I'm a relative newbie learning about PH's and finding it hard to learn about naming on USAAF awards for WW2. Is there a recommended book that I could buy ? thanks. Pete

On this forum there is a good thread that shows the official naming styles for DFCs and Air Medals. Purple Hearts for AAF recipients will be no different than those to other Army personnel for WWII.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/10926-wwii-officially-named-aaf-dfcs-and-air-medals-to-pows/

!!!! WANTED !!!!

I am looking for my great uncle's Purple Heart featured on this website, Pfc Alfred J. Ciarletto, if anyone has any information please reach out to me! My family will be very grateful.

I am looking for my great uncle's Purple Heart featured on this website, Pfc Alfred J. Ciarletto, if anyone has any information please reach out to me! My family will be very grateful.

Actually it was never on Tom's website. It was on this website: http://www.tohonorourfallen.com/wwiieurope.htm

The collection on that website has also been sold to a large number of different people.

Kurt

!!!! WANTED !!!!

Hi everybody, I have a Purple Heart,Engraved Ided, not numbered, KIA marine in Korea 27Sept1950 to Owen Everett Crockett Jr. Is there any way to find out when the medal was awarded? Thanks Steve

Hi everybody, I have a Purple Heart,Engraved Ided, not numbered, KIA marine in Korea 27Sept1950 to Owen Everett Crockett Jr. Is there any way to find out when the medal was awarded? Thanks Steve

His personnel file will likely contain the info. But post a photo of the engraving and researchers can narrow it down by the style.

Wartime Collectables Military Antiques
Andrew H. Lipps
email wartime@wartimecollectables.com
On the web at http://www.wartimecollectables.com

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

donation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gif

It was probably awarded to his NOK within a few months of his death.

If you want to know specific dates, you'll have to pull his personnel file from the National Personnel Records Center.

Hope that helps!

Only a weak society needs government protection or intervention before it pursues its resolve to preserve the truth. Truth needs neither handcuffs nor a badge for its vindication. -Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy

Peace is not the absence of war, but the defense of hard-won freedom. -Anton LaGuardia

That's a beautiful and correct Purple Heart for that time period. I would say it was probably engraved and presented to his NOK within a few months of his death.

As mentioned before, I'd pull his service record...that way you can find out more about him and pin down the exact date if you're seeking it.

RIP, Marine.

Only a weak society needs government protection or intervention before it pursues its resolve to preserve the truth. Truth needs neither handcuffs nor a badge for its vindication. -Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy

Peace is not the absence of war, but the defense of hard-won freedom. -Anton LaGuardia

Typically, the posthumous medals are presented to the family within a few months of his death like Dave posted. If youre asking about the medals he received for service while he was in, its not customary to present those to the family along with posthumous decorations. If certain family members submit a request for previous awards and decorations through the specific branch (listed on NARA website), they will usually honor that request.

donation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

Here is the list of his other awards that was listed in OKC newspaper

Combat action Ribbon

Korean Service Medal

United Nations Service Medal

National Defense Medal

Korean Presidential Unit Citation

Republic of Korea War Service Medal