Purple Heart Web Site

tom2001

Thanks Tom,

This is a fantastic site and a fantastic collection. It looks like it took alot of time to do all this and I for one appreciate the work.

4starchris

Tom, that's a great site. Unfortunately, due to the SVA, I will take mine down.

Dwight

First of all.... thanks, guys, for the compliments. The site really is a labor of love.

Dwight-- there's no reason to take down your site, IMHO. Even if your worried about the buying, selling, shipping, etc. restrictions imposed by the SVA, the mere possession of the medals is not illegal.

So show off your collection. If you're really worried about the SVA, just don't offer to buy anything from your site.

Tom

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
Bank Vault

your site has been helpful, good to see someone knows their stuff for one and for two is willing to share info.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
Guest jonmw

I wonder if you can clarify something for me.

I believe that the Purple Heart was only awarded for wounds and there appears to be a specific exclusion of frostbite.

I wonder if this is indeed the case, how long the exclusion has been in place and if exceptions were made.

The reason is that my father claims he was awarded his second for frostbite suffered in the Battle of the Bulge.

His discharge papers just show the locations and not the cause; Southern France (machine gun bullet, he has a wrap around scar where they opened him up to show for that) and Ardennes.

We always wondered whether he was/is being coy about that one and as he has never said what his other awards were for.

I wonder if you can clarify something for me.

I believe that the Purple Heart was only awarded for wounds and there appears to be a specific exclusion of frostbite.

I wonder if this is indeed the case, how long the exclusion has been in place and if exceptions were made.

The reason is that my father claims he was awarded his second for frostbite suffered in the Battle of the Bulge.

His discharge papers just show the locations and not the cause; Southern France (machine gun bullet, he has a wrap around scar where they opened him up to show for that) and Ardennes.

We always wondered whether he was/is being coy about that one and as he has never said what his other awards were for.

PH's were indeed awarded for frostbite during wwII. The regs were changed in 1951 to specifically disallow PH's being awarded for such things as frostbite, trench foot, battle fatigue, etc. Basically if the enemy didn't cause the wound or injury, you're not eligible.

Guest jonmw

Thanks very much for the reply.

Of course, with that battle, we know why they were exposed to frostbite and I guess a good many others must have been similarly awarded.

Thanks very much for the reply.

Of course, with that battle, we know why they were exposed to frostbite and I guess a good many others must have been similarly awarded.

Actually, the reqs regarding frostbite were instituted earlier in the war, ostensibly for air crews who flew for hours in sub-zero temperatures, and who often suffered from frostbite.

• 2 weeks later...

>PH's were indeed awarded for frostbite during wwII. The regs were changed in 1951 to specifically disallow PH's being awarded for such things as frostbite, trench foot, battle fatigue, etc. Basically if the enemy didn't cause the wound or injury, you're not eligible.

I compliment Tom Lane for the knowledge and accuracy on the subject. After August 22, 1951 frostbite was not a circumstance recognized to be awarded the Purple Heart. According to the guideline, severe frostbite experienced during combat was classified as an “accident.”

However, the above does not apply to POWs that experienced frostbite in captivity. According to guidelines, the initial authorization for wounds experienced while in captivity was Public Law 104 – 106, dated February 10,1996. Working with Army Regulations former POWs held prior to 1962 that received wounds (including frostbite) during captivity are eligible for the medal.

The USAF took jurisdiction over all USAAF personnel in 1957. Today, the AFBCMR is approving the Purple Heart to veterans that contacted frostbite during forced marches. (As a result of a hostile act of such enemy).

While the ABCMR is denying the Purple Heart to former WWII ground troops that experienced identical wounds in captivity.

I learned for the past 5 years, contacting the Army, U.S. Senators, and U.S. Congressmen is a waste of time. The only path that will require the Army to follow the guidelines, and legal opinion of Colonel Theodore Jarvi, USAFR, Retired, former JAG officer is to hire an attorney.

That is the advice I gave the daughter of a deceased veteran fought during the Battle of the Bulge, taken prisoner, and experienced frozen feet during forced marches late 1944, and early 1945.

Robert

• 1 month later...
alphie5002

Tom thanks so much for posting your website. I am fairly new to this area of collecting and your website has been very helpful to me.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi,

I just discover this website ans it's wonderful source of informations and pictures !! w00t.gif A great collection !!

I get it immediatly on my "favorites" websites ! ;)

Tim

• 3 weeks later...
PH's were indeed awarded for frostbite during wwII. The regs were changed in 1951 to specifically disallow PH's being awarded for such things as frostbite, trench foot, battle fatigue, etc. Basically if the enemy didn't cause the wound or injury, you're not eligible.

I don't believe that is quite correct. I received my Purple Heart for wounds received from "friendly fire".

"Basically if the enemy didn't cause the wound or injury, you're not eligible."

I don't believe that is quite correct. I received my Purple Heart for wounds received from "friendly fire".

The enemy was involved...

TITLE 10 > Subtitle A > PART II > CHAPTER 57 > § 1129

§ 1129. Purple Heart: members killed or wounded in action by friendly fire

(a) For purposes of the award of the Purple Heart, the Secretary concerned shall treat a member of the armed forces described in subsection (B) in the same manner as a member who is killed or wounded in action as the result of an act of an enemy of the United States.

(B) A member described in this subsection is a member who is killed or wounded in action by weapon fire while directly engaged in armed conflict, other than as the result of an act of an enemy of the United States, unless (in the case of a wound) the wound is the result of willful misconduct of the member.

© This section applies to members of the armed forces who are killed or wounded on or after December 7, 1941. In the case of a member killed or wounded as described in subsection (B) on or after December 7, 1941, and before November 30, 1993, the Secretary concerned shall award the Purple Heart under subsection (a) in each case which is known to the Secretary before such date or for which an application is made to the Secretary in such manner as the Secretary requires.

Robert

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

All,

After about six weeks of being down because of AOL droping their web hosting service, I have finally revamped and uploaded my Purple Heart web page. Its still under construction and will undergo some changes but I hope that you will check it out and let me know what you think.

It's new location is:

http://www.tohonorourfallen.com

Thanks,

Ed Maier