Purple Heart Web Site

tom2001

All,

After about six weeks of being down because of AOL droping their web hosting service, I have finally revamped and uploaded my Purple Heart web page. Its still under construction and will undergo some changes but I hope that you will check it out and let me know what you think.

It's new location is:

http://www.tohonorourfallen.com

Thanks,

Ed Maier

Thank you to everyone that has commented on my updated web site. I'm still adding content so please stop back by and let me know what you think. I really want your constructive criticism to make the site better.

Take care,

Ed

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
Cobrahistorian

Thanks for your site Tom!

Picked up my first WWII #'d Purple Heart today and your site was extremely helpful in determining exactly what I had!

Jon

• 1 month later...

Tom,

First of all, thanks for the website. It has given me a bunch of information that I have thoroughly enjoyed. A question that you or someone else may answer. My uncle, a Korea Marine, had a PH with the ribbon, from broach to pendant, longer than those awarded to Army guys.

Other than the obvious that the medals were manufactured by different contractors, is there a rhyme or reason for this difference?

Thanks,

Wiley Winter

Memphis

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
legionnairedu2

Hello to all,

Site trés rich in information, a magnificent conception. I I am fond of this type of site which allows me to learn and to discover these known heroes of little elected member who made the history of the American army.

Still bravo

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
cpofarnsworth

Hi Tom,

I have just recently gotten into U.S. awards with the Purple Heart as the main addiction.

I want to thank you for the hard work you have done on this site to provide a newbie like me

a wealth of information on named, numbered and faked Purple Hearts. This information will save me

a whole lot of time and money as a good bit of information is on your site.

I know you have said it is a labor of love and I can understand that, but I really think

you deserve the recognition and appreciation for your hard work and dedication that I won't have to do

because you have done a lot of it for me.

So Thank you very much

Dave

cpofarnsworth
Thank you to everyone that has commented on my updated web site. I'm still adding content so please stop back by and let me know what you think. I really want your constructive criticism to make the site better.

Take care,

Ed

Hi Ed,

I was going to start collecting Purple Hearts, but it looks as though you got 'em all. Oh well, back to collecting Iron Crosses. Seriously though great site and completely amazing collection. :drool2: I can only dream of something that sweet.

My compliments. :salute:

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

This a wonderful site, you've done a super job, great information and photos on the purple heart

• 1 year later...
I've been asked by one of the moderators to post a link to my web site about Purple Hearts.

Hopefully some of you might find something interesting there!!

Purple Hearts

Tom

Wonderful site Tom, I've referred to it many times in the past and it's always been a huge help.

Joe

• 1 month later...
I've been asked by one of the moderators to post a link to my web site about Purple Hearts.

Hopefully some of you might find something interesting there!!

Purple Hearts

Tom

MANY THANKS FOR THE POST!

• 2 weeks later...

Tom,

Thanks for the site. A great reference. I have apurple heart medal. I was told it was old. Can you give me any info. I am new to this. I was hoping this medal is from WWII era. The number on it is 301020 on the bottom right corner. any help from anyone would be great & much appreciated.

Michael

"Basically if the enemy didn't cause the wound or injury, you're not eligible."

The enemy was involved...

TITLE 10 > Subtitle A > PART II > CHAPTER 57 > § 1129

§ 1129. Purple Heart: members killed or wounded in action by friendly fire

(a) For purposes of the award of the Purple Heart, the Secretary concerned shall treat a member of the armed forces described in subsection (B) in the same manner as a member who is killed or wounded in action as the result of an act of an enemy of the United States.

(B) A member described in this subsection is a member who is killed or wounded in action by weapon fire while directly engaged in armed conflict, other than as the result of an act of an enemy of the United States, unless (in the case of a wound) the wound is the result of willful misconduct of the member.

© This section applies to members of the armed forces who are killed or wounded on or after December 7, 1941. In the case of a member killed or wounded as described in subsection (B) on or after December 7, 1941, and before November 30, 1993, the Secretary concerned shall award the Purple Heart under subsection (a) in each case which is known to the Secretary before such date or for which an application is made to the Secretary in such manner as the Secretary requires.

Robert

post-54671-1315234118.jpg

post-54671-1315234146.jpg

One more pic of teh number.

Is there a good quick reference to the different models or numbers?

Thanks again,

Michael

Tom,

Thanks for the site. A great reference. I have apurple heart medal. I was told it was old. Can you give me any info. I am new to this. I was hoping this medal is from WWII era. The number on it is 301020 on the bottom right corner. any help from anyone would be great & much appreciated.

Michael

post-54671-1315234254.jpg

• 1 month later...

Recently contacted by the NOK of a WWII combatant who lost his life in captivity. He stated he was not given the option of how the medal was to be presented. (Formal ceremony at location of choice). Futhermore, no paperwork accompanied the medal.

According to AR 600-8-22, dated 2007,

b. Presentation of awards to next of kin. Presentation will be made to primary next of kin per procedures in paragraph 1–32. When presentation to next of kin cannot be made by the appropriate commander, a report listing the reasons the presentation could not be made, with the award orders, certificate and citation will be forwarded immediately to Commander, HRC, AHRC–PDO–PA, Alexandria, VA 22332–0471, where appropriate action will be taken to accomplish the presentation. Under no circumstances will commanders forward award elements (medal, certificate, and citation) directly to next of kin.

Per United States Army regulation 600-8-22, the Purple Heart is awarded in the name of the President of the United States to any member of the Armed Forces of the United States who, while serving under competent authority in any capacity with one of the U.S. Armed Services after April 5, 1917, has been wounded or killed.

The annotation of the Purple Heart is denoted both with the service member's parent command and at the headquarters of the military service department. An original citation and award certificate are presented to the service member and filed in the field service record.

Contacted the Air Force to question their policy quoting the above guideline. Response was that is an Army guideline. I thought the AF was included in our Armed Forces.

My question is regarding the Purple Heart Citation. Could someone describe It? I believe the document with the Purple Heart at the heading is identified as a certificate.

Robert

post-2890-1319487800.jpg

Recently contacted by the NOK of a WWII combatant who lost his life in captivity. He stated he was not given the option of how the medal was to be presented. (Formal ceremony at location of choice). Futhermore, no paperwork accompanied the medal.

According to AR 600-8-22, dated 2007,

b. Presentation of awards to next of kin. Presentation will be made to primary next of kin per procedures in paragraph 1–32. When presentation to next of kin cannot be made by the appropriate commander, a report listing the reasons the presentation could not be made, with the award orders, certificate and citation will be forwarded immediately to Commander, HRC, AHRC–PDO–PA, Alexandria, VA 22332–0471, where appropriate action will be taken to accomplish the presentation. Under no circumstances will commanders forward award elements (medal, certificate, and citation) directly to next of kin.

Per United States Army regulation 600-8-22, the Purple Heart is awarded in the name of the President of the United States to any member of the Armed Forces of the United States who, while serving under competent authority in any capacity with one of the U.S. Armed Services after April 5, 1917, has been wounded or killed.

The annotation of the Purple Heart is denoted both with the service member's parent command and at the headquarters of the military service department. An original citation and award certificate are presented to the service member and filed in the field service record.

Contacted the Air Force to question their policy quoting the above guideline. Response was that is an Army guideline. I thought the AF was included in our Armed Forces.

My question is regarding the Purple Heart Citation. Could someone describe It? I believe the document with the Purple Heart at the heading is identified as a certificate.

Robert

There is no separate citation for the Purple Heart. The date of the wound which qualifies for the Purple Heart is shown at the bottom of the certificate (being presented in the above image).

The Air Force took responsibility for most matters relating to Army Air Forces awards, but operates under its own regulations and policies (not under Army policies). I don't have a current Air Force instruction on awards at hand, but it's safe to say that they will not duplicate Army policies.

• 3 months later...

Hey,

I recently acquired an old Purple Heart with the split wrap brooch on the back. Should it have a number on it?

I know the WWII ones with the sewed on pin assembly come both numbered and unnumbered but this is my first one of the split wrap brooch type.

Thanks,

1029960[/url]']

Hey,

I recently acquired an old Purple Heart with the split wrap brooch on the back. Should it have a number on it?

I know the WWII ones with the sewed on pin assembly come both numbered and unnumbered but this is my first one of the split wrap brooch type.

Thanks,

Nope, cuz it sounds like you have Navy/MC issue and will not be numbered. Also, they are worth more than the numbered Army Hearts in my opinion. The early (1932) issue Hearts had split wraps and were numbered, and even some of the early WWII slot broached Hearts were numbered, but never the Navy/MC ones from WWII.G

• 9 months later...

There is no separate citation for the Purple Heart. The date of the wound which qualifies for the Purple Heart is shown at the bottom of the certificate (being presented in the above image).

The Air Force took responsibility for most matters relating to Army Air Forces awards, but operates under its own regulations and policies (not under Army policies). I don't have a current Air Force instruction on awards at hand, but it's safe to say that they will not duplicate Army policies.

Robert and Jeff,

I believe that when the term "Citation" it is in reference to the orders awarding the Purple Heart Medal. The picture above shows the Certificate on the right side of the folder on the left would be a copy of the orders awarding the Purple Heart. Just my SWAG.

Regards,

John

• 4 months later...

The brother of a Merchant Marine killed in action during WWII is attempting to process paperwork for the Purple Heart. The following is a response:

I spoke with Pat Thomas of the Maritime Administration regarding the Purple Heart for MMs and she tells me she has no authority to provide a mariner with such a medal and knows of no instruction that supports same. Yet she leaves the door open if other agencies wish to pursue that approach upon a request from a qualified mariner sent to one of the other branches of service.

Documents reveal substantail numbers of members of Merchant Marine were awarded the Purple Heart.

Please advise the procedure for WWII members of the Merchant Marine and/or NOK to be awarded the medal.

Robert

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
WittWorldWide.com

Tom, you'll appreciate this as more of an inside joke, as we've known each other in the Chicago Collecting circles for too many years. But "Nice stuff..."

KASTAUFFER

The brother of a Merchant Marine killed in action during WWII is attempting to process paperwork for the Purple Heart. The following is a response:

I spoke with Pat Thomas of the Maritime Administration regarding the Purple Heart for MMs and she tells me she has no authority to provide a mariner with such a medal and knows of no instruction that supports same. Yet she leaves the door open if other agencies wish to pursue that approach upon a request from a qualified mariner sent to one of the other branches of service.

Documents reveal substantail numbers of members of Merchant Marine were awarded the Purple Heart.
Please advise the procedure for WWII members of the Merchant Marine and/or NOK to be awarded the medal.
Robert

During WWII Merchant Mariners were awarded the " Mariners Medal" rather than the Purple Heart .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merchant_Marine_Mariner%27s_Medal

The Merchant Marine Mariner's Medal is a decoration of the United States Merchant Marine. Because the Merchant Marine was not considered a branch of the U.S. Armed Forces, the Purple Heart was not available to Merchant Mariners; as such, the Mariner's Medal was established by an Act of Congress on 10 May 1943 to solve this dilemma.

Awarded only to members of the United States Merchant Marine, the Mariner's Medal recognizes seamen who were killed or wounded as a direct result of conflict against an opposing armed force; in specific, it was awarded to any seaman who while serving in a ship during a war period is wounded, suffers physical injury, or suffers through dangerous exposure as a result of an act of enemy of the United States. In the event any such seaman dies from the wounds or injuries before the award can be made to him, the medal may be presented to the person named in the War Risk Policy as his beneficiary. 6,635 Mariner's Medals were awarded for service in the Second World War; all further awards of the Mariner's Medal were suspended on 30 June 1956 and has not been awarded in subsequent U.S. theaters of conflict.

Although the Merchant Marine Mariner's Medal is considered a federal service decoration, it may be worn on the uniforms of active duty service members.

Kurt