2nd Air Commandos Bullion Variant - Has Anybody Seen it Before?

bobgee

I picked up this pair of C.B.I. theatre-made bullion patches at a gun show in Dallas. Clearly from the same uniform. Anyone have reference on the 2nd A.C. patch? I'm thinking maybe a Communications Section within the Squadron. Thanks for any help. Bobgee

CBI Patches 1.JPG

CBI Patches 2 REV.JPG

No, I have never seen this version of the 2nd Air Commandos before. However, that doesn't mean a whole lot. In that theater, there were no "batch lots" of patches cranked out by a large machine. Every GI used his own imagination for the designs.

The 2nd AC used the exclamation point (!) as their tail symbol on their C-47's, much as the 1st AC used the question mark (?) as theirs. The lightning bolts were also used as aircraft symbols on the P-51's. If this was truly a GROUP emblem, then the use of both symbols would have been appropriate. That is one great patch!

Patch Johnson

Bob I think the shoulder insignia is just a smaller version of the 2nd Air Commando bombardment section insignia.There is a large 5 inch squadron insignia multi piece leather that has the 2 lightning bolts which is attributed to the 2nd commandos.Its a white background with black bolts.Ask Steve Johnson I am sure he has one and can ID positively.If its for sale let me know.Scotty

• 1 year later...

Bobgee has picked up more great rare insignia at gunshows than anyone I know.I have known him for 35 years and he is one of the best in our hobby.Scotty

This design for the 2nd Air Commando is seen on the CBI site and is in fact what is inferred at least by me as the design for the unit. Mort

Please refer to Roberts"Tarbridge"post also on 2nd air Commando with a clear example of design.

• 2 years later...