Let's see some mounted groups

wolfman

The Coast Guard's Senior Chief Russell, one of 66 USCG PH's awarded in Vietnam (there's a whole thread about him). 

Screenshot_53.jpg

Screenshot_52.jpg

14 minutes ago, Dave said:

This is just a mounted mini group, but still cool nevertheless...

Screenshot_56.jpg

Screenshot_55.jpg

Screenshot_54.jpg

I have owned Francis H LaRoche’s medals for many years

Bill

These weren't mine, but I photographed them for my book at the Naval War College. They belonged to Admiral Kent Hewitt. 

Screenshot_58.jpg

Screenshot_57.jpg

Also not mine (though I have handled them - I have the rest of his stuff)...the medals to Rear Admiral Robert Copeland, the CO of the Samuel B Roberts at the Battle off Samar... 

Screenshot_61.jpg

This group was a very early eBay save...it was being split up and sold with no ID. I was able to reach back to the relative who gave it to the consignment shop and got enough clues to pin down the recipient. I remember it was a lot of legwork! Gorgeous group though!

Screenshot_68.jpg

Screenshot_67.jpg

Screenshot_66.jpg

Screenshot_65.jpg

One of the cooler groups with a US award to a foreigner. There's a thread on here about this...I think was Hermanus who helped me find the recipient. 

Screenshot_74.jpg

Screenshot_73.jpg

Screenshot_72.jpg

Here's one that makes my eyes bleed. Yes, the guy who mounted them did keep the original drapes, so I restored the group. Still....ooof....

Screenshot_75.jpg

Another eye-bleeder. Ironically, when I sold this group, no one cared about the Chinese award. It was a "whatever...no additional value" to the group. Those were the days... 😭

The recipient was OSS in Indochina during WW2. He went by "Tom". Anyone recognize the guy next to him? 🙃

Screenshot_80.jpg

Screenshot_79.jpg

I forgot I had another eye-bleeder. Again, the collector did keep the original drapes, which was good. This was a great group - Emerson Dubuque. 

Screenshot_83.jpg

Screenshot_82.jpg

Screenshot_81.jpg

This one wasn't mine, but I did scan it when I visited the veteran for my original JOMSA article about Soviet awards to the US military. These belonged to Colonel John Wohner. 

Screenshot_85.jpg

Screenshot_84.jpg

Okay, completely unabashed...these aren't mine, they're at the National Museum of the Marine Corps, but they are far too cool not to share. Unfortunately, I was running out of time when I got to this drawer and the best I could do was iPhone photos. But still...whoa...literally the holy grails of mounted medals... 

Screenshot_111.jpg

Screenshot_110.jpg

Screenshot_109.jpg

Screenshot_108.jpg

Screenshot_107.jpg

Screenshot_106.jpg

Screenshot_105.jpg

Screenshot_104.jpg

Screenshot_103.jpg

Screenshot_102.jpg

Screenshot_101.jpg

Screenshot_100.jpg

On 8/1/2022 at 6:05 PM, Dave said:

Okay, completely unabashed...these aren't mine, they're at the National Museum of the Marine Corps, but they are far too cool not to share. Unfortunately, I was running out of time when I got to this drawer and the best I could do was iPhone photos. But still...whoa...literally the holy grails of mounted medals... 

Yeah...I've opened that drawer before...mind blowing

On 8/1/2022 at 4:52 PM, Dave said:

This group was a very early eBay save...it was being split up and sold with no ID. I was able to reach back to the relative who gave it to the consignment shop and got enough clues to pin down the recipient. I remember it was a lot of legwork! Gorgeous group though!

Screenshot_68.jpg

Screenshot_67.jpg

Screenshot_66.jpg

Screenshot_65.jpg

Fantastic groups Dave! This one is incredible!

-Jimmy

1 hour ago, sampo said:

Amazing groups!

Do you know the recipient of this group:

image.png.bd6ff39ce89f1cc34568d63d0de29f72.png

And maybe the Ulchi number?

Regards

Sampo

I unfortunately didn't have time to photograph the reverses of the groups, so I don't  have the medal numbers. However, the group belonged to General Robert O. Bare. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_O._Bare