Let's see some mounted groups

wolfman

Moody as a Commander prior to WWI, wearing the Sampson, West Indies and Philippine. The other three medals in the group (Navy Cross, Mexico and Victory) were not issued until after 1918.

post-10651-0-38268800-1371258422.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
aerialbridge

Sal, that's a beautiful WW1 Navy Cross group of miniature medals that you have, to RADM Yates Stirling, Jr. (1872-1948), an historic rear admiral and the son of a rear admiral. Among his published works, he wrote an essay in 1912 on the vital role Hawaii played in America's defense planning called "A Military Road across the Pacific," arguing for the need to build military replenishment facilities across the Pacific islands to enable the Navy to fight a war in Asian waters.

Seems a good spot to post pix of your rack’s big brothers that some lucky guy got at auction back in 2008 for around $5k. French Legion of Honor, Navy Cross, Sampson, West Indies Campaign, Philippine Campaign, Mexico Service, and World War I Victory. One beautiful BB&B bonanza. No "Transport Clasp" but that's what should have been on the WWI Victory Medal. The Sampson is to the gunboat USS Dolphin. There was also a separate paper lot from that same online (not Ebay) auction. When Stirling wore this full-sized rack, I wonder if anybody commented on his French Legion of Honor preceding his World War One Navy Cross? Given that the wearer was a self-described "stormy petrel", maybe not.

According to the listing, with the medal auction went a picture of Rear Admiral Stirling wearing his formidable bar mounted group. Be nice if the owner ever comes across this post if he would share at least his picture of Stirling in uniform for history's sake, since there are only a couple of tiny ones on the web, and not with medals and not worth re-posting.

Stirling was awarded his World War I Navy Cross for service as C.O. of the troop ship USS President Lincoln at the time she was commissioned. The USS President Lincoln became the largest U.S. tonnage vessel lost in the First World War when she was torpedoed on 30 May 1918, fortunately, with a loss of only 26 men out of 715. Ironically, RADM Stirling was also an early submarine pioneer and proponent. In 1915 he simultaneously commanded the New London, Connecticut Submarine Flotilla and New London Submarine Base, and Submarine School. In 1917 he was selected to head the board that recommended design changes to the S class boats then being constructed.

After the war, while captain of the Philadelphia Naval Shipyard, Stirling wrote the Navy Secretary, Franklin D. Roosevelt, a letter blasting US subs saying they were “unfit for service” and recommending formation of a “Bureau of Submarines” similar to the “Bureau of Aeronautics”. The bureaucrats in DC turned him down.

http://projects.militarytimes.com/citations-medals-awards/recipient.php?recipientid=10118

http://www.history.navy.mil/danfs/p11/president_lincoln.htm

http://www.navy.mil/navydata/cno/n87/history/pioneers4.html

Stirling qualified for his Philippine Campaign medal when he commanded the gunboat USS Paragua in 1900-01 on the Asiatic Station as a Lt. j.g. Later, as a lieutenant commander he authored several popular books “A United States Midshipman Afloat”, “A United States Midshipman in the Philippines” and “A United States Midshipman in China". He was often controversial both in his public and private life and had a penchant for calling things as he saw them regardless of the popular consequences. If nothing else, no one ever accused RADM Yates Stirling, Jr. of being a politico or “yes man”. His autobiography is "Sea Duty - The Memoirs of a Fighting Admiral".

http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/yates-stirlingjr.htm

Congrats on having a great, historical mini group, Sal. When I was getting the links for this, I saw that an auction for a Stirling autograph just ended on Ebay the other day, 6/23/13. Somebody got a nice pick-up -- a letter that Stirling provided in May 1935 to some Boy Scouts in Brooklyn on Brooklyn Navy Yard letterhead. Hopefully you got it, or perhaps the winning bidder is the unknown owner of RADM Yates Stirling's full sized BB&B WWI Navy Cross group.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RADM-Yates-Stirling-Jr-WWI-Navy-Cross-Hawaii-Signed-/400510993346?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d4050c3c2&nma=true&si=aajlZMe7mhp5MUxTkMHhEWw99DY%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Read Admiral Admiral Yates Stirling, Jr. Full Sized Medal Group (sold 10/08 for $5250):

post-18406-0-42061700-1372213586.jpg

post-18406-0-00115000-1372213621.jpg

uniformcollector

Sal, that's a beautiful WW1 Navy Cross group of miniature medals that you have, to RADM Yates Stirling, Jr. (1872-1948), an historic rear admiral and the son of a rear admiral. Among his published works, he wrote an essay in 1912 on the vital role Hawaii played in America's defense planning called "A Military Road across the Pacific," arguing for the need to build military replenishment facilities across the Pacific islands to enable the Navy to fight a war in Asian waters.

Seems a good spot to post pix of your rack’s big brothers that some lucky guy got at auction back in 2008 for around $5k. French Legion of Honor, Navy Cross, Sampson, West Indies Campaign, Philippine Campaign, Mexico Service, and World War I Victory. One beautiful BB&B bonanza. No "Transport Clasp" but that's what should have been on the WWI Victory Medal. The Sampson is to the gunboat USS Dolphin. There was also a separate paper lot from that same online (not Ebay) auction. When Stirling wore this full-sized rack, I wonder if anybody commented on his French Legion of Honor preceding his World War One Navy Cross? Given that the wearer was a self-described "stormy petrel", maybe not.

According to the listing, with the medal auction went a picture of Rear Admiral Stirling wearing his formidable bar mounted group. Be nice if the owner ever comes across this post if he would share at least his picture of Stirling in uniform for history's sake, since there are only a couple of tiny ones on the web, and not with medals and not worth re-posting.

Stirling was awarded his World War I Navy Cross for service as C.O. of the troop ship USS President Lincoln at the time she was commissioned. The USS President Lincoln became the largest U.S. tonnage vessel lost in the First World War when she was torpedoed on 30 May 1918, fortunately, with a loss of only 26 men out of 715. Ironically, RADM Stirling was also an early submarine pioneer and proponent. In 1915 he simultaneously commanded the New London, Connecticut Submarine Flotilla and New London Submarine Base, and Submarine School. In 1917 he was selected to head of the board that recommended design changes to the then S class boats being constructed.

After the war, while captain of the Philadelphia Naval Shipyard, Stirling wrote the Navy Secretary, Franklin D. Roosevelt, a letter blasting US subs saying they were “unfit for service” and recommending formation of a “Bureau of Submarines” similar to the “Bureau of Aeronautics”. The bureaucrats in DC turned him down.

http://projects.militarytimes.com/citations-medals-awards/recipient.php?recipientid=10118

http://www.history.navy.mil/danfs/p11/president_lincoln.htm

http://www.navy.mil/navydata/cno/n87/history/pioneers4.html

Stirling qualified for his Philippine Campaign medal when he commanded the gunboat USS Paragua in 1900-01 on the Asiatic Station as a Lt. j.g. Later, as a lieutenant commander he authored several popular books “A United States Midshipman Afloat”, “A United States Midshipman in the Philippines”” and “A United States Midshipman in China". He was often controversial, both in his public and private life, and had a penchant for calling things as he saw them regardless of the popular consequences.. If nothing else, no one ever accused RADM Yates Stirling, Jr. of being a politico or “yes man”. His autobiography is "Sea Duty - The Memoirs of a Fighting Admiral".

http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/yates-stirlingjr.htm

Congrats on having a great, historical mini group, Sal. When I was getting the links for this, I saw that an auction for a Stirling autograph just ended on Ebay the other day, 6/23/13. Somebody got a nice pick-up-- a letter that Stirling provided in May 1935 to some Boy Scouts in Brooklyn on Brooklyn Navy Yard letterhead. Hopefully you got it, or perhaps the winning bidder is the unknown owner of RADM Yates Stirling's full sized BB&B WWI Navy Cross group.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RADM-Yates-Stirling-Jr-WWI-Navy-Cross-Hawaii-Signed-/400510993346?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d4050c3c2&nma=true&si=aajlZMe7mhp5MUxTkMHhEWw99DY%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Read Admiral Admiral Yates Stirling, Jr. Full Sized Medal Group (sold 10/08 for $5250):

I think that lucky guy is 4STARCHRIS: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/1972-per-numerous-request-go-collection/page-30&do=findComment&comment=820182

aerialbridge

Sure looks that way, uniformcollector, thanks for posting. Hey Chris, if you are the lucky guy, can you post what must be a great pic of Rear Admiral Stirling wearing that great group?

Edit: I believe I missed the posting by Chris since it was spelled "Sterling" and didn't come up in my search of the forum. Congrats, Chris on a tremendous group.

• 2 weeks later...

I posted this one a while back. Unfortunately, it is unidentified. You'd think with that unique combination of personal awards it would be easy to narrow it down. Believe me, it's not!!

post-126-0-34288500-1373070246.jpg

cap_george

Here is a more recent 30 year Navy group to Chief Quartermaster Jesse Croxton Jr. (Served 1949-1979). I had to buy this group in pieces to save it (expensive) :blush: . I was lucky to find the photos :). I also ran down his "Golden Shellback Certificate for 1971. :rolleyes:

post-8200-0-39507000-1373075358.jpg

post-8200-0-78478300-1373075549.jpg

post-8200-0-58942500-1373075636.jpg

Great additions guys thanks for reviving my old thread love to see them mounted groups

History Man

An unattributed WWII/KW USMC group to a Bronze Star recipient. The GCM was missing when I bought it a couple of years ago (most likely was named) and I replaced it with a period example.

The pickers that sold it had found it while clearing out a house, they stated it was to a general (took that with a grain of salt). But I wonder if he might have been an officer, there was evidence of prewar service in the late 1920's/1930's with an enlisted visor EGA from the time period along with a set of late 1940's/1950's USMC Lt. Col. oakleaves.

Philip

post-25965-0-54082700-1373147496.jpg

firefighter

Shouldn't the MC Exp medal be between the MC GCM and the American Defense medal? If so it might be worth while to change them? The possibility of the original owner being an officer after being enlisted is very possible.There is only ONE award of the GCM.The person had to have at least 10 yrs, Amer Def medal(pre WW2) and the Korean Svc medal.Unless got out after the war then recalled for Korea.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Shouldn't the MC Exp medal be between the MC GCM and the American Defense medal? If so it might be worth while to change them? The possibility of the original owner being an officer after being enlisted is very possible.There is only ONE award of the GCM.The person had to have at least 10 yrs, Amer Def medal(pre WW2) and the Korean Svc medal.Unless got out after the war then recalled for Korea.

He stated the GCM was missing, and he replaced it

He may have been a retread, wasn't in long enough during WWII to rate the GCM, and then was in long enough during Korea to rate one. Not uncommon for WWII enlisted to not rack up a full 4 years required for the GCM

Got this set a few years back from a seller in Florida who said they had purchased it at a yard sale!

The LOM is certainly WWII with the small thick ribbon ring, but the SSM and BSM are post WWII.

Unfortunately, it was not engraved and unattributed, since I don't specialize in Navy decorations I'll leave it up to

the Forum for guidance. Thanks for looking.

DakotaDave

post-9914-0-82090900-1390276721.jpg

It's not mine (yet, still working a trade for it) but I figured I'd post it up the full sized medal bar to Admiral Sterling Yates, Jr.

STER_YA.jpg

Why does that look so familiar?

It could be that Yate's mini bar has been posted on the forum before: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/19544-post-your-miniature-medals/&do=findComment&comment=136352

Or that it looks very similar to Franklin Schofield's medal bar (just the LdeH mounted at the end in his...): http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/174465-ww1-uniform-of-navy-captain-frank-schofield/