Let's see some mounted groups

wolfman

On 8/1/2022 at 10:58 PM, Dave said:

One of the cooler groups with a US award to a foreigner. There's a thread on here about this...I think was Hermanus who helped me find the recipient. 

Screenshot_73.jpg

Screenshot_72.jpg

Great group!  Is this in your collection? 

His ribbons are in a Dutch military museum.

Herman

Just now, Hermanus said:

Great group!  Is this in your collection? 

His ribbons are in a Dutch military museum.

Herman

No, unfortunately. I sold it back in 2005, if I remember correctly. 

Thanks Dave for the quick answer.

I don't know what happened. 

Hit the send button 5 times I guess. 😕

Regards

Herman 

52 minutes ago, Hermanus said:

Thanks Dave for the quick answer.

I don't know what happened. 

Hit the send button 5 times I guess. 😕

Regards

Herman 

You were just very excited to see such an excellent group! 🤣

44 minutes ago, Dave said:

You were just very excited to see such an excellent group! 🤣

Indeed I do! 

I studied the career of this officer and it was interesting to say the least.

The US Victory medal is an unofficial variant with a ball knob. Also the Russian medal for zeal got me stumped. Both could point out to US service in Russia in 1919. He was 25 years old then, but this is a wild guess on my part. The French WW1 Croix de Guerre makes 3 awards for WW1 and this enlarges the mistery as the Netherlands was neutral in WW1. His group lacks the Dutch Mobilisation Cross for WW1 which means he didn't serve in the Dutch Armed forces during this war. As he was born in 1894 this is odd.

He became a reserve officer in July 1929 and in that position he earned the BVA medal. The BVA medal was earned by succeeding in a 24 hours long endurance test by car. A silver one with blue enamel means 5 times succeeding in this event. The event was organized from 1930 to 1939. I saw this silver medal only once and it is in this set!

He was promoted to reserve Captain in 1939 and actively served in the Dutch Army in May 1940 and also went to the Dutch Indies during 1945-1950. The figure XXX on his Officerscross was awarded in 1959. During this time, in 1960, he also received the US LoM. I found the GO for this. Furthermore he received an Officerscross in the Order of Orange-Nassau in april 1959, which is not in this group as it was given back to the Chancellery of Dutch Orders after his death. He retired in 1959 as a reserve Lieutenant Colonel in the Technical Branch. He died November 24, 1983.

So indeed an excellent group Dave.

Regards

Herman 

00148729.PDF

Hi Dave,

Too bad, I do have Robert O. Bare in my records, and the Ulchi gold star is a full match, but unfortunately I do not have his Ulchi number. I do have a lot of others but not this one.

When you or any one else is ever in the occasion, please let me know the number, I would appreciate it! And make my list more and more complete!

Take care

Sampo

• 2 months later...
On 8/1/2022 at 5:30 PM, Dave said:

A very sad group. He was killed by his wife after his return from Vietnam... 

Screenshot_89.jpg

Screenshot_88.jpg

Screenshot_87.jpg

Screenshot_86.jpg

I remember his class A uniform being sold on ebay over 15 years ago. The seller claimed the stain on the Purple Heart ribbon was blood, but I was pretty sure it wasn't. Thanks for sharing this grouping!

On 8/1/2022 at 5:16 PM, Dave said:

Here's one that makes my eyes bleed. Yes, the guy who mounted them did keep the original drapes, so I restored the group. Still....ooof....

Screenshot_75.jpg

I dunno. I really like the British-style court mounting. The drape behind the planchet looks really nice, plus the planchets are sewn down so they don't swing around and damage the medals. I'd give my right arm to own one of these groups that are court-mounted.

• 2 weeks later...

My latest acquisition: a Marine Corps Medal bar to an Afghanistan veteran featuring the Navy & Marine Corps Achievement Medal, Afghanistan Service Medal w/ 1 campaign star, and the NATO ISAF Medal.

Afghanistan (1).JPG

• 1 month later...

My latest, which just arrived today. Somehow, in all my years of collecting, I never had a Coast Guard medal bar in my collection. So, I'm proud to say this is my very first. The Achievement Medal is also my first-ever CG Achievement Medal.

DSCF8820.JPG

• 2 months later...
ItemCo16527

Forgot to post this group here. The grouping it's part of is unattributed, but I do know it belonged to a Chief Petty Officer. I made a post about it here.

Antarctica (3).JPG

Antarctica (4).JPG

Antarctica (2).JPG

aerialbridge
On 8/1/2022 at 2:22 PM, Dave said:

Another eye-bleeder. Ironically, when I sold this group, no one cared about the Chinese award. It was a "whatever...no additional value" to the group. Those were the days... 😭

The recipient was OSS in Indochina during WW2. He went by "Tom". Anyone recognize the guy next to him? 🙃

Screenshot_80.jpg

Screenshot_79.jpg

Hard to believe nobody who was of age during the Vietnam War recognized "Major Tom's" associate in the photo, even after you pointed him out.   Mr. Hoo, who was given the code name "Lucius", was nursed back to health from near death by  Maj. Tom and his OSS parachute-dropped "Deer Team".  Mr. Hoo and his merry men were regarded as liberty loving, freedom fighters who would help us in our fight against the Japanese to keep them from entering China.   Not faulting Maj. Tom and ground control, since hindsight is always 20/20, but I wonder if they regarded Mr. Hoo as "Churchillian"?  Not the first time our national, good nature allowed us to only see what we wanted to, and not the last time.  The Trail to Ho is paved with good intentions.   Proof that once again, truth is stranger than fiction.  IMO, that group was a history keeper.  My eyes would bleed if I owned it and sold it.  Was the Chinese medal and French Legion of Honor awarded for the Deer operation and are any of the medals named?  If so, how ironic for the French.  I'd call it the  "Major Tom, Can We Still be Friends"  group.  Thanks for sharing this memento of a mostly forgotten sidetrack in American History with he that shall not be named.    I couldn't find when Maj. Tom passed, but I wonder at what point his opinion of Mr. Hoo changed?

"As U.S. Army Major *****Tom******   sat down to dinner with Ho ****** and General *****  Giap on September 15, 1945, he had one vexing question on his mind. Ho had secured power a few weeks earlier, and *****Tom*****  was preparing to leave Hanoi the next day and return stateside, his mission complete. He and a small team of Americans had been in French Indochina with Ho and Giap for two months, as part of an Office of Strategic Services (OSS) mission to train Viet Minh guerrillas and gather intelligence to use against the Japanese in the waning days of World War II. But now, after Ho’s declaration of independence and Japan’s surrender the previous month, the war in the Pacific was over. So was the OSS mission in Indochina. At this last dinner with his gracious hosts, *****Tom****** decided to get right to the heart of it. So many of the reports he had filed with the OSS touched on Ho’s ambiguous allegiances and intents, and  had had enough. He asked Ho point-blank: Was he a Communist? Ho replied: “Yes. But we can still be friends, can’t we?”

https://www.historynet.com/how-american-operatives-saved-the-man-who-started-the-vietnam-war/

• 1 month later...
ItemCo16527

My latest. A humble National Defense, CG Rifle Expert, and CG Expert Pistol Shot medal bar. The funny thing is, this bar had been sold so I wound up getting my other USCG medal bar instead. Randomly checked eBay last week and found that it was available again. Naturally, I jumped on it ASAP. I can't believe I ended up getting this medal bar after all. Very happy with it!

CG Medal Bar2.JPG

ItemCo16527

This one just arrived. It features the Navy Commendation Medal, Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal, and Vietnam Service Medal with 2 battle stars. The RVN Campaign Medal isn't a typical US-made one-piece version. This one has a ring attaching the planchet to the suspension ring on the ribbon (see pics). Unfortunately, a lot of the green paint has been chipped off by contact with the VSM. Even still, it is a fantastic Vietnam-era grouping to a Naval officer.

NCM (1).JPG

NCM (2).JPG

pathfinder11

These remain with the family, but the miniatures of Colonel David L. Hardee, executive officer of the Provisional Air Corps Regiment. Posthumously, these should also include a second Purple Heart, POW Medal, and Philippine Independence Medal. 

CIMG7048.jpg

ItemCo16527
3 hours ago, pathfinder11 said:

These remain with the family, but the miniatures of Colonel David L. Hardee, executive officer of the Provisional Air Corps Regiment. Posthumously, these should also include a second Purple Heart, POW Medal, and Philippine Independence Medal. 

CIMG7048.jpg

Wow, that is one heck of a set of awards! He even has a Yangtze Service Medal. Not too many of those to the Army!

ItemCo16527

Last one for now. Navy Achievement Medal group including the Global War on Terror Expeditionary Service Medal. Hopefully, I'll get some more medal bars soon :)

NAM-GWOTE (1).JPG

NAM-GWOTE (2).JPG

ItemCo16527

Last two for now. Both are for Marine NCOs. The first Marine has 2 Commendation Medals, 4 Achievement Medals, and 6 Good Conduct Medals (among others). The other NCO has 2 Achievement Medals, 3 Good Conduct Medals, and the Humanitarian Service Medal. 

NAM3 (1).JPG

NAM3 (2).JPG

NCM (1).JPG

NCM (2).JPG

NCM (3).JPG

Kaigun Shosa

Just picked up this beautiful Three War group to an unknown Marine at the Pomona Show a few weeks back. It looks like he first enlisted in WWII then got his commission at some point and served in the Reserves and fought in Korea and Vietnam. Hard to tell if he got the Bronze Star and Navy/Marine Comm in Korea or Vietnam. Whish I knew his story!!!!!

USMC 10.jpg

USMC 11.jpg

ItemCo16527

That is one heck of a nice grouping. Three war veteran with three decorations for valor. What an amazing find! I wish we named our campaign medals like the British do. It would make research so much easier!

• 3 weeks later...
ItemCo16527
On 8/1/2022 at 5:30 PM, Dave said:

A very sad group. He was killed by his wife after his return from Vietnam... 

Screenshot_89.jpg

Screenshot_88.jpg

Screenshot_87.jpg

Screenshot_86.jpg

I keep forgetting to ask, but do you have any info on what happened after his killing? Was the wife convicted of murder or anything? I tried looking it up but didn't have any luck.

• 5 weeks later...
ItemCo16527
On 4/16/2013 at 3:36 AM, salfred said:

Got it!!!!

post-5286-0-41175500-1366097769.jpg

Do you know his name? I've seen this group before, either here or on the British Medals Forum, but I don't recall ever seeing a name associated with it.

• 5 weeks later...
ItemCo16527

Newest one! Joint Service Achievement Medal, Navy & Marine Corps Achievement Medal, and Navy Good Conduct Medal.

JSAM-NAM-NGCM (1).JPG

JSAM-NAM-NGCM (2).JPG

• 1 month later...